What types of activities in the Conquest's Camp Carnival?

Cinderelli

Hi, we have a 14 year old boy, and 10 year old girl sailing on the 8/29 Conquest.

Does anyone have a list of Camp Carnival activities for each day so I know what to expect? Have your kids participated in any activities that they LOVED, and that my kids should not miss?

I wonder how many kids will be on board on 8/29, when most kids go back to school earlier than our kids in NJ. Anyone with same time experience?

Thanks for your input in advance.

The teen activities are for 13-15year olds. My daughter made a number of new friends. They had teen activities from pool parties, to dances, to pizza eating contests, to sports activities. I think she spent more time with them, then with us, which is out of character for her, so I know the activities were fun. There is a parent's meeting the first night and they will give you the activities for the week.

My 10 yr. old son did not have a good time. Since you have a girl, you will probably be OK. Most of the activities were arts and crafts, making things. If your daughter likes that good. Be sure to get her a soda card. They are allowed to sign themselves in and out of the activities, so they can go get a drink. If not, they could be left with 2 hours of basketball and no drink.

Cathy

http://www.webshots.com/search?query=carnival+camp+capers&new=1

Its very important that your teens head to the first teen meeting the first night. Some kids think they are too cool for activities like that and tend to miss out on a lot of stuff. Push the issue no matter what-- your teen may thank you in the end.

My daughter is 9 and she loved the cruise. She was a little shy when we went up the first night to the meet and greet. The next day I took her to the camp and the next time I saw her she was with a friend going up the stairs to find the next clue for a scavenger hunt. She had awonderful time. Every time I took her.. I saw the girls all coming to her and saying hello and they were very friendly toward her. then when we went to the pool she was running into friends and felt very comfortable. A good time was had by all including my husband and I.

we will be on the 8/29 sailing with an 11 year old boy, he enjoyed the kids camp they had on norwegian when he was 10 - I hope we are as lucky this time.

what does "Bump" mean in your previous message? My guess is that you wanted the message moved to the top of the list...am i corrrect?

come on now..i have been a long time cruiser and a long time computer user....but i am learning all sorts of new stuff today...what are disboards?

discussion boards? never mind..i guess i just figured it out!

Beth, Disboards are the discussion boards for Disney nuts like me. You'll use them if you ever want to go to a Disney theme park or resort or cruise line. They helped us plan our last Disney World vacation so beautifully.

Now I am glad I found Cruise Critics!:o

Go to http://www.disboards.com, and register just like this forum. The people were amazingly helpful and really made our trip last summer so fabulous with all the little nitty gritty things I learned.

It's not run by Disney -- it's hosted by some Disney fanatics who are passionate about what they do. But some of the Disney folks do jump on and give advice, especially in the transportation area... like, "How do I get from this place to that?" I learned a whole bunch of amazing Disney trivia. If you want me to send it along, let me know. I have pages worth!!!

Mary Ellen

Hello there, I was just doing a bit of research on the conquest and happened upon this website. My family and I (husband, and two daughters 3,9) are sailing on the 8/29 conquest as well. This is our first cruise and seem to have million questions. I am curious about the kids camp....is it true that my nine year old can check herself in and out?

I am glad to hear that somoeone else with kids is going on the 8/29 Conquest. Where are you from? I am from Cherry Hill, NJ. Kids go back to school the following week.

We have a 10 year old girl and an 14 year old boy.

We have cruised much before, but only twice with our kids. They LOVED it both times. Two years ago, my daughter was 8, we were on the Disney Magic, and they gave us the option of her signing herself in and out. We didn't do it the first 2 days until we all got used to the place, the counselors, the ship layout, the routine. But then we tried it. After all, where was she going to go, aboard a ship? She also palled around with her brother who was 12, so I didn't worry. Plus, my daughter is very time conscious, so she kept track of our curfew time.

You have to see how comfortale you'll feel, and how independent she is. Plus, you absolutely need to attend the Camp Carnival orientation meeting they have that night... everyone says it is a MUST for them to get to know other kids, and for you feeling comfortable with the program.

Another idea is... check her in the program and give her a beeper or walkie talkie, and make sure she has her own watch, so you can communicate to her -- that is, IF the walkie talkies will work on this ship.

Feel free to write back, and of course, visit the Roll Call section of these boards, hunt down the 8/29 Conquest posting, and add yourself in. It will be great to at least have a few people you kinda know when you oard.

Perhaps we can meet at the orientation meeting to say hello!

Mary Ellen

:p

Cinderelli,

Thank you so much for the info and suggestions. Our daughter is still a bit nervous, but I'm sure that the orientation will help.During the orientation, do they cover the three year old program as well? We plan to have the girls with us most of the time, but I'm sure we will enjoy some kid free time as well.By the way, do you have any suggestions on way to celebrate our daughter's birthday? She will turn ten the day we are in Jamaica...I know that just that is celebration enough, but is there a cake or something we can do on board that evening to surprise her?

Also, have you been to the ports before? Do you have any suggestions on family friendly excursions? Heard anything about Sunset Beach? Sorry for the questions....this is new!

I am from Bellingham, Wa. It is a city about 90 mi. north of Seattle. Beautiful here... been here my whole life, but I am looking forward to exploring another part of the world with my fam.

Thanks again!

Nice to meet you. I will be glad to help you with any question you might have. It is overwhelming the first time you cruise, but I have found if you do your research beforehand, it helps alleviate some of the unknown anxiety. There are so many great postings on these boards -- I would just read everything you can, and also the REVIEWS of other people on the Conquest. That helped me a lot! Plus, please feel free to post your own questions -- don't be afraid that you might sound like a novice -- it's all been asked before. It's all new to you!

I have lived in my area all my life, too -- born in South Philadelphia (best Italian food in the world!!!!) and now live 15 minutes away in NJ.

Regarding the children's program -- when my kids were small, I did put them both in the program several times, NOT all the time. We live for the kids, so only during special activities they might like -- they are posted for you in the activity sheets, so you know when to bring them. It gave me and my husband a few hours of US time. Nice. And a private romantic dinner.

And the kids did NOT want to come back! My daughter was 3 on her first cruise, and she LOVED the kid's camp. But only YOU know your children, and how social they will be, or how detached they might feel in a strange environment. You have to play it by ear. (My kids are mega outgoing, so no worries.)

Regarding birthdays, I would arrange for a special cake and have the servers sing to her. Now you have to order (and pay for) them in advance -- I believe at the purser's desk. Not free anymore! Be sure your Travel Agent or Carnival PVP (Personal Vacation Planner -- (REP, for short!)) has it written down that she is celebrating her birthday. They probably have balloons they can put in your room on that day.

Regarding excursions in the ports, I have done LOTS of homework. These boards were invaluable. Jamaica is NOT a place where you want to go off on your own. It's a pretty scary place -- unless you go to some GATED resort or travel with experienced guides. There's a lot of postings to fill you in on the "Ports of Call" message areas. We plan to go to Sunset Beach Resort, a private gated community that's all-inclusive (food & drinks & water sports)and seems like the best value -- $20 per adult for the day -- and gets RAVES from everyone who goes.

In Grand Cayman, we are doing the StingRay City Tour -- I believe with Buccaneer Bay Catamaran (my hubby wants a luxurious boat that goes to all 3 stops). And in Cozumel, everyone raves about Paradise Beach. It's FREE -- you just pay for drinks and food. People are gushing about how much they love it. And it's great for kids, with free snorkle gear and toys! Read the posts about it.

If you have any other questions, write back. Glad to help.

Mary Ellen

:p

SHe wont be bored. My kids were 15, 17 and 19 on their first cruise, Most kids that age do not particiapate in camp carnival anyways. THey just hang out a lot...go to the shows together...and do things as a group.

My kids prefer cruising now over any vacation and I would love to know her reaction after you get back.

Something you may help her to alliviate any worries is give her a port to research and find something for you all to do.

Cinderelli, thanks again for all the info! We have also decided to do Sunset Beach in Jamaica....sounds very nice. What do you know about the Mayan tour in Cozumel? I haven't read much, but I think it would be fun...our youngest daughter's name is Maya, and I think she would get a kick out of having a t-shirt with her name on it! Never mind, of course that the tour would be cool.

Once again, our oldest daughter, whose name is Ocea (pronounced like ocean without the n) is very excited that there is ten year old girl going, especially a girl who has cruised before!

Take care, Kari

Just returned from the Conquest. Yes, you child can sign themselves in and out. You can tell them no, and they won't let them, but must children do. This is how they get their drinks and ice cream. We didn't allow it the first time, and we returned to an angry child. He was thirsty and hungry. The kids all left for drinks and ice cream, and he couldn't go. My suggestion is to let them. They play games to teach the kids the ship. By the end of Monday afternoon, my two knew the entire ship.

Cathy

Kari,

About the t-shirt that says Maya....I think you might be able to get the t-shirt anyplace! There will be lots of shopping available. I, personally, was bored on the Mayan Ruin tour....but that might be just because it didn't suit my personality. I did not enjoy the bus trip or the horrible heat we had to endure to see them. However, your child may find it really interesting because of her name-link with the place. My family will be sailing with you.....looking forward to meeting you all. my son is 11 and this is his second cruise.

about the signing in and out alone.....i have done it with my older son and not been sorry. i will be allowing my 11 year old to do so this time. Although, I admmit...on the SS Norway he was not allowed to sign himself in and out and it was comforting knowing exactly where to find him when we wanted him!

Beth, Thank-you for the response. I think we have decided against the Mayan tour. I think we'll find a nice beach, and hang for the day. As far as camp carnival goes, do you find that the walkie talkie and pagers are useful? I think if Ocea finds a friend or two, we will feel a bit less apprehensive about the whole sign out thing, espesially if she can "radio" us and let us know where she is. 39 days to go!!Take care, Kari

I believe there is a whole thread about Walkie Talkies and pagers, and whether they work in all areas of the ship. I have heard pro and con.

And Kari, I LOVE you daughters' names -- so beautiful! My 10 year old daughter is Savannah and 14 year old son is Perry. I told Savannah last night that we are already "connected" with a 9 year old girl and Beth's 11 year old son. She was psyched.

Is Ocea athletic? What does she like to do most?

I emailed Beth our photos privately so we could find each other during orientation. If you want me to email you, let me know privately at mhudicka@bodekandrhodes.com.

Chat with you SOON!

Mary Ellen:o

For those of you going on the Conquest with teens and are worried about what activities the kids program offers for them, don't worry. The Conquest has a place called "action alley." It has a teen disco, smoothie bar with freshly made smoothies and sodas, juke box, and a huge arcade with lots of virtual reality games. Most of the parents of teens are raving about this place and say that their teens spend most of the cruise in this place. I think it's a good idea and keeps the teens all in one place together where they can play games, dance, or sit and have a smoothie and talk.

Archived