Any car seat/seat belt success in St.Martin/Thomas?

Perpetua

Can someone help out a very overprotective and worry wartish Mommy?

We are on the January 20th Eastern sailing with two DDs (4 and 1). We know that where we want to go when we go to St. Thomas and St. Martin. We want to do two quick beach trips in the morning (about 3 hours) and then get back to the ship for naps. However, we are really concerned that we will not have taxi's with seat belts for our DD's car seat and booster. We would prefer not to rent a car or use the DCL excursions (as we are interested in going to different beaches and I read that the transportation is an open air taxi on the child-friendly excursion).

Any stories of car seat success? We would love to find a car or taxi service to set the transportation up ahead of time...even if it was a bit expensive. All I am finding on line is the open air flat-bed truck option which would not accommodate car seats.

I have searched the board but all I am reading is advice to "hold on and pray" and stories of "no seat belts". I guess I am just looking for another option. Any tips? Did your taxi have seat belts?

We've been to St.Martin/St.Thomas 3 times with our children but I have never tested out the taxis. BUT, there have been many parents here that have said that some taxis do have seatbelts. And if the one who stops for you doesn't, tell them to continue on until you find one that does.

This is one article about traveling with car seats on cruises. Second question down.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/family/familycruisefaqs3.cfm

Archived