1st Time in Grand Cayman

firstcruise2007

Stingray City is the signature shore excursion on Grand Cayman, unless you are a certified scuba diver, in which case it would be a close second choice. Actually, you'd want a stingray trip that went to the sandbar, which is where the "snorkeling" trips go. It takes place in water that is roughly waist deep (or just a little deeper) so you can stand on the sand.

The actual stingray City is has water that is 10 to 15 ft deep and is where the dive trips usually go, not the snorkel trips. I believe that most members of Cruisecritic would recommend that you do not go with the ship's excursion unless you like large groups of people and want to pay more for the trip.

well, if you want to hike, you will be disappointed in GC, as it is flat, very flat.

The majority of people on our cruise (and on this board) go for the stingray tour, and from what I hear it is amazingly crowded. However everyone seems to love it.

My wife and I were looking for a little something different, so we met up with another couple and rented a car to get to a place we read about on these boards called Rum Point....it was fantastic!

It is always adventurous to rent a car when you drive on teh other side of the road :) And we got to see a great deal of the island, whic appeared to be still damaged from hurricanes.

Rum Point is a public beach with a restaurant and bar, but where no one is! They have hammocks in the trees, plenty of beach chairs lined up for anyone to use (many had built in awnings for shade), and they have watersports if you like that (jet skis and the like). The water was like a great big bathtub, warm, about four feet deep for 200 yards from shore.

We felt like we were in paradise :)

The only cruise ship that takes people there is disney, and they dropped about 50 people off, other than that it was secluded and relaxing.

The only other options we heard about were Rum tours and shopping.

Important to know before you go that Cayman dollars are not equal to US dollars. $1 GC = .80 US

Hope this helps!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived