4 people in suite tipping question

CanSail

Here's an interesting hypothetical, though ...

Assuming HAL is forthright in their assertation that any tips in cash above the auto-tip amount can be kept by the person you give it to, what happens in this case:

You have four people in a suite ... two couples. Your cabin steward was dynamite that week ... and you really want to give him a much nicer tip than $3.50 per day. You weren't that impressed with your wait staff, so don't care if they get a dime.

Two people in the suite (one couple) deletes auto-tips entirely. The other couple leaves them on. Now the couple that deleted them gives a tip envelope stuffed with cash to the other couple who kept auto-tips in place. That couple hands the cash envelope to the cabin steward.

Question is: Does he get to keep it? :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I suspect that they would check to see if the autotip for the cabin has been reduced and act accordingly. Otherwise you could do the same thing with one couple, since the autotip is listed separately on each person's account.

I suspect that they would check to see if the autotip for the cabin has been reduced and act accordingly. Otherwise you could do the same thing with one couple, since the autotip is listed separately on each person's account.

It would be listed separately even if the same credit card were being used for both people? I would figure it would be itemized separately, but would appear on the same statement since the same credit card backs up the charges.

But in the case of say two couples sharing a suite, it would be highly unlikely that both couples would have their charges going to the same credit card. It would be the same with two friends sharing a cabin (like I am doing with another friend on the Amsterdam in about a week). Each individual would use their own credit card for their charges, so they would each get a separate onboard statement, right?

Blue skies ...

--rita

It would be listed separately even if the same credit card were being used for both people? I would figure it would be itemized separately, but would appear on the same statement since the same credit card backs up the charges.

But in the case of say two couples sharing a suite, it would be highly unlikely that both couples would have their charges going to the same credit card. It would be the same with two friends sharing a cabin (like I am doing with another friend on the Amsterdam in about a week). Each individual would use their own credit card for their charges, so they would each get a separate onboard statement, right?

Blue skies ...

--rita

We use one credit card, but the accounts are not combined until HAL submits the bill to the Credit Card company. Our typical bill starts out with 1/2 of the shareholders' credit on each account(since that is a "per cabin" credit), then a $10 charge for the first night autotip. My account has most of the drink charges, Slinkie's account has most of the salon charges. When HAL says that the tip is "per person" they mean just that and account for it that way.

Rita,

When we sail together, DH,DD and I all have separate accounts until they are merged for billing purposes into the single statement. It makes reconcilliation easier if one want to check during the cruise. The auto tip shows on each of our accounts.

Archived