Marquesas Islands

Zbayette

We are considering a PG cruise to French Polynesia, including the Society Islands and the Marquesas Islands. We came back from a PG cruise to the Society Islands in late April. Are all the islands relatively similar? As much as I loved the previous cruise, if the islands are very similar I think I'd rather go someplace else in 2007 and then go back to French Polynesia year later. Also are the Marquesas Islands as expensive as the Society Islands? I was actually hoping an island of bargain shopping would be included.

Any info on the Marquesas Islands would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Have only been to Nuka Hiva and there's not much there IMHO. The islands are pretty much off the beaten path. Several of the islands don't really have very good landing facilities and they sometimes can't get the boats in due to rough surf. Don't think you'll find much there in the way of bargains.

We were there two years ago on a 14 day Windstar cruise which included several of the Marquesas.

I agree with dougburns. The Marquesas are still quite undeveloped, except for a couple of resorts, and most of the shopping is limited to tables of natives bringing crafts to the dock. We brought back several wood pieces and some fabric, but one does not go to the Marquesas to shop.

Memories of one of the most beautiful places on earth are what I brought back from them.

If you have more specific questions, I'd be glad to try to answer them.

Pincus

Thanks dougburns and Pincus. I appreciate your comments. Is there much to do in the Marquesas? Is it expensive to get around? How does it compare to the Society Islands? Do they basically look the same and have the same stuff there?

Thanks dougburns and Pincus. I appreciate your comments. Is there much to do in the Marquesas? Is it expensive to get around? How does it compare to the Society Islands? Do they basically look the same and have the same stuff there?

Much to do? Enjoy the most beautiful scenery you have ever seen, most of it untouched. Appreciate the peace and quiet.

Expensive? Don't know, there is nothing to buy except native crafts. There might be a 4X4 off-road trip.

Look the same? Not really, Papeete is commercial and crowded. Isolated would be a good descriptor word for the Marquesas.

I would suggest that if your main purpose is to shop, the Marquesas are not your destination. If you want to stroll and enjoy natural beauty, this is the place!

Enjoy!

Pincus

Much to do? Enjoy the most beautiful scenery you have ever seen, most of it untouched. Appreciate the peace and quiet.

Expensive? Don't know, there is nothing to buy except native crafts. There might be a 4X4 off-road trip.

Look the same? Not really, Papeete is commercial and crowded. Isolated would be a good descriptor word for the Marquesas.

I would suggest that if your main purpose is to shop, the Marquesas are not your destination. If you want to stroll and enjoy natural beauty, this is the place!

Enjoy!

Pincus

oh I love natural beauty; i've seen all of that in the Society Islands about 6 months ago. I'm trying to decide between doing the same thing again in a few months with the Marquesas added in to it or whether I should do something else like Hawaii or Asia and then go back to Tahiti in another year. I'm used to see not only beauty but also learning something about the histroy or culture in places i visit. Just not sure if I'll be able to do that there, and if not then i may opt to seeing the same natural beauty in another year and visiitng someplace else in the meantime.

We did the Society Islands in May and are doing the Marquesas Islands on the PG - June 2007. My advice is to get a good book. Tahiti by Jan Prince is a good place to start. You will get a wealth of information doing your own research on this subject.

I'll be on a PG cruise in a few weeks that includes two of the Marquesas -- Nuku Hiva and Hiva Oa. There are a couple of excursions on each that might make visiting the islands worth it to you. For example, here's the excursion on Hiva Oa:

"Taaoa is about 7 miles southwest of Atuona on the coastal road. Several tribes once lived in Taaoa Valley, including the Tiu who are the ancestors of most of the Hivaoan tribes. The archeological ruins can be reached by 4x4WD or on foot. "Upeke Ceremonial Center" comprises house platforms, a tohua, public and sacred meae, and storage pits of breadfruit paste for feasts. The tohua was restored for the Third Festival of the Marquesas in 1991.

The remaining area is in the same state that archeologist Ralph Linton found it in 1920. A tiki measuring 4 feet by 5 feet was found. Only the front part of the stone is carved. The eyes, part of the right arm and the right ear are carved in bas relief. According to Linton, this stone was an altar stone on which sacrificed victims were placed after being killed at the tohua and carried up to the maea. Directly below the platform with the altar stone is an irregular round head carved from a porous black volcanic stone. This stone is very easy to carry, so this may not be in its original position. On another platform in the tohua section you can see a row of worked keetu slabs. One of them has some carved lines; the design is very difficult to see in sunlight. Locals say it is a whale or canoe, but it is a tiki face in bas relief. "

In Nuku Hiva you can do a helicopter flight see, or this:

"To reach Taipivai Valley you will use a steep trail through the interior of the island, among lush vegetation. During the drive through mountainous terrain you will make several stops at breathtaking viewpoints of the coastline, bays and valleys. At one particular stop enjoy a panoramic view of the Bay of Taihoae where the Paul Gauguin is anchored. With the help of your guide you will discover the flora and vegetation of this area. The Taipivai Valley is a location made famous by the American writer and former sailor, Herman Melville (1819-1891), who deserted his ship and hid in this valley.

Captured by the indigenous natives, he lived three weeks in Taipivai Valley, a period during which he observed their way of life. This experience enabled him to write the novel Typee. Drive through the small villages of Taipivai, where the main activity is agriculture. You will then proceed to a long beach at the end of the village from where you can enjoy a beautiful view of the valley and surrounding mountain. Taipivai Valley is also one of the richest archeological sites of the Marquesas Islands but the remote sites are difficult to reach, and cannot be visited on this tour."

• 3 months later...

Archived