Should we do RCCL's "Florence on your own" or take a train to town?

This is our first cruise and first time to Europe. I've heard some negative comments about RCCL's FOYO Excursion saying.....there was not a whole lot of time in town because of the stop at the leather factory. I really want to have as much time as possible in Florence and was wondering if it's a good idea for me and Hubby to just try it on our own by taking a train into Florence???

There is so much to see in Florence that a day trip is totally inadequate.

If RCCL has a shuttle into town, I would recommend this and then maximize

your visit by being well planned. Go on line prior to going to reserve tickets to Acadamia if you want to see "David". Without this, you could wait for hours and perhaps never even get in. The Duomo is a must see.

As far as taking the train, I had friends who took the train to save money and it went on temporary strike. They ended up cabbing back to the ship and the only thing that saved them from missing the ship were the fact that crew members also got caught up in it. When you venture out on your own, you are literally at your own risk. One other piece of advise. Don't buy the designer hand bags from the street vendors (as tempting as it is!). Even though it is illegal for them to sell, you will be the one going to jail and receiving a hefty fine. Enjoy your trip, cruising is an amazing way to travel.

When you get off the ship for Florence, there will be several cabs/touring vans willing to take you anywhere you want to go, all at your pace. I don't remember the price (we were there last summer) but it was substantially cheaper than any RCCL tours.

Archived