Ship tours or private guides in Istanbul and Greece

We are on Oceania's Nautica from Istanbul to Athens next summer. I have read many reviews for private "taxi drivers" in both Istanbul, Athens, and beyond in Greece. I am still not sure if a knowledgable taxi driver is the right way to go. I would like comments from those of you who have done this and whether you felt like you really understood what you were seeing. I know an actual guide can explain what you are seeing a lot better than if you just read something. Maybe the sites here don't need a lot of explanation. I just don't want to arrange this and then not really know what we saw. Also, if this is the best way, which guides are best? I keep hearing about Nejat in Istanbul and George, Nickolas and Jordan in Greece. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't know about private guides in Greece but in Istanbul I would suggest using a private guide for several reasons. One is the prices for private guides in Turkey are probably the most reasonable in Europe. Two you will be able to arrange a smaller group and will be able to arrange a more person tour. The highlights of Istanbul are mainly in the historic district so you probably will be walking a lot and having a private local guide walking with you makes you feel safer as well as allows you to ask questions that are hard to do in bigger cruise ship tours.

Here is the company we used during our 2003 visit to Istanbul. They did an excellent job and we felt we more than got our money's worth.

http://www.turfantastik.com/

Have a great next cruise.

Well, all I can say is that our experience in Istanbul was that we would have been scared to death with a private operator! The place is a madhouse, the tourist sites are incredibly jammed, and our tour was over 2 1/2 hours late getting back to the ship. Since it was a ship tour we were OK -- but if we had been on a private tour I don't know what might have happened. I loved Istanbul and would have not have missed it for the world -- but I would never go back. We heard all sorts of horror stories about taxi drivers there. I like the security of a ship's tour in a port like this one.

OTOH in Greece we had wonderful service from the licensed guide at Greece Ala Carte and were really glad we had her information and guidance instead of just a taxi driver.

That was our experience -- YMMV.

Check our trip report at The Halls Med Cruise.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived