San Juan at Night with Kids??

Catrin

Hi Everyone,

We are arriving in San Juan at 5pm on the Victory in May.

We have three kids, 12,8 and 2. What would you suggest we do in San Juan?

A few options ...

1. We could go to the Fort and walk around

2. a Tour

3. Leave the Kids on the Ship

4. Stay on the Ship

5.???? OTHER IDEAS?

We have not been to San Juan since our Honeymoon Cruise 14 yrs ago!

Thanks,

Catrin

What a wonderful family vacation!

First of all, the fort closes at 5 p.m., so you can't go into it. I suggest that you take a taxi up to the fort (there are cheap) where uou CAN see the outside of it, look down into the cemetary, and walk your way back down through Old San Juan, and maybe getting a bite to eat.

I think it would be great for your kids to see this port. It is like being in Europe with the cobblestoned narrow streets and all of the statues in the plazas.

Take them and have a great time!

Another suggestion, hop a trolley for a relaxing tour of Old San Juan. There is a trolley stop at the information center located near the port area. The trolleys make many stops around OSJ and you can get off and on as you like or just ride the loop. Trolley bus does go by El Morro and there is a stop there if you want to enjoy the great view from the hill.

Dianne

I agree with above posters.... those are hard ages to do stuff with in San Juan..... but you can make learning some of its history fun..... try a "history scavenger hunt" using places as the "items" to find with information they are given.

Example: This was used by the captains of the ships that would come to San Juan to enter the city. After entering, they would proceed to the cathedral to give thanks for arriving safely. Answer: The gate to the city. Really neat huge gate in the wall which surrounded the city of San Juan in 1500's. It is like 15 feet thick.

There are lots of historic sites there and this would add a fun element to walking around looking at old buildings etc.....

It would be hard to have a "winner" but each child could get a "prize" for participating.... something like their choice of souvenier or another small item....

Also they might enjoy a carriage ride in Old San Juan (this would also be good with a 2 yr old.... less walking)

Would you please tell me more about the Trolley?

How much? Does it stay in Old Town? Do you know the hours it runs? Is it safe at night? Good shopping and eats in Old Town?

Also, is El Morro the only fort in San Juan?

Lots of questions, thanks for the info.

I have been to San Juan 5 times and have never seen the trolley. I know it exists, but I don't think it moves around much!

There are 2 forts in San Juan. El Morro is the one on all of the travel posters. San Cristobal is closer to the pier.

Here is a map to help you get a feel of where everything is.

The cab was only a couple of dollars per person. The walk is downhill from the fort through Old San Juan to the ship, just about a dozen blocks.

You should be able to get a map of the area either at the travel bureau at the docks, or from somewhere on-line. Here is one that I found.

Someone just posted some links to great maps. Here is the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=425116

We did this tour with Legends of Purto Rico and loved it. She was very informative and you got the feeling of the history of Old San Juan. We did the trip before our cruise and though it was quite a bit of walking we felt it was worth it. I'm not sure how the kids would do. Only you would know. The youngest could ride in a stroller and be fine, some stairs, but I don't remember alot of them. After our tour, we were asked where we needed to get back to. We asked about a good place to eat and she walked us to a very good, small place near our hotel and helped us get seated and told us about the menu and what the items were. All in all a great experience. Got some really great pictures and she knew exactly where to pose you and your group for great shots. I really would recommend her trip, but like I said, only you would know how the children would do. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

We are sailing on the Liberty next September and had the same dilemma. I think we might let the kids stay in Camp Carnival (they loved when we did that in St. Maarten this year) and we will do the Bioluminescence Bay Kayak Tour. It sounds amazing. When you are paddling these organisms light up. The kids will be 5 & 9. It was hard this trip leaving them on the ship and actually going into the port but in the end everyone did what they wanted to do.

We are arriving in San Juan at 5pm on the Victory in May.

We have three kids, 12,8 and 2. What would you suggest we do in San Juan? We have not been to San Juan since our Honeymoon Cruise 14 yrs ago!

Do not venture into old san juan at night if you have kids. a lot of addicts roam the streets. they attempt to approach you or scream to you from across the way. know this first hand. cute little area. steep, steep cobblestone streets, all better reserved for daylight hours. Be prepared to walk. Fort closes early. If you get into port before it's dark, take a walk over to the fort anyway. It's nice to walk around it and you get a great view of the ships from atop the hill. If the kids are with you, head back to the Port Area as soon as it gets dark, and hang around there or, go back onto the ship and enjoy the peace and quite around the pool areas before everyone else gets back on.

Archived