Missing Balcony Seat Cushions

libra-sue

Hi Cruisers.

On the P&O Ships in the UK we have had the balcony seat cushions removed since early May 06 due to a balcony fire on ANOTHER cruise line.

Are they still missing from your ships in Aus??

The news here seems to be the engineers are 1/2 way through fitting sprinkler systems to the balconies on all our UK ships (Aurora, Arcadia, Oriana, Oceana, Artemis) and then - hopefully! - We will get back our cushions. -They are being replaced with 'fire retardant ones I think?

I hope this happens asap. I was unlucky in May, my first cruise for our silver wedding anniversary and the cushions had just been taken away. My 3Rd cruise on Arcadia is next June 07 to the Med -Have a balcony again so am hoping they will be there by then!

My 2nd cruise is in December on Aurora - have a inside cabin as it will be freezing then - not much point having a balcony!:)

Any comments or news on this ship mates?

Sue

I dont think many people from here actually get balcony rooms to be able to tell you. Seeing that there is only about 10 or 12 on our current two ships.

Although, if they havnt returned the cushions by the time you cruise on Arcadia, you could always take your own :cool:

The fire to which you refer was on Star Princess, and Princess is a "sister" line to P&O (UK) and P&O (Aus). Two of the ships you name (Oceanis & Artemis) used to be Ocean Princess and Royal Princess, respectively.

Somewhat incestuous perhaps, but P&O (UK) used to be parent of the latter two lines, but is now a sister.

The Star Princess fire is being investigated by the MAIB. (UK Marine Accident Investigation Branch, perhaps the best in the world at analyzing and preventing accidents and incidents at sea).

They issued a bulletin in April :

http://http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources/Star%20Princess%20-%20Safety%20Bulletin.pdf

The bulletin contains several recommendations which all major cruise lines are implementing, including the removal of balcony seat cushions.

BTW, the fire *may* have been started by a pax throwing a cigarette from a higher deck. So if you see some idiot (I'm being polite) throwing a cigarette from the ship, you might want to have a word with them....

The final report is due in November; it has been completed and is currently out for comments by "interested parties" (which is required by UK law).

James

very interesting, I have heard 2 rumours on the cause, one being a lit candle left on balcony and what you mentioned - disguarded cigarette.

It seems that other cruise lines now have their cushions though perhaps they were quicker than p&o in replacing them with fire retardant ones?

i want my cushions!!:confused:

The balcony cabins are £500pp extra compared to inside cabins, and we deserve some comfort..... Some people have said on other sites that they have:

1. Been sitting on the pillows from the bed (UGH! SOMEONES BUM ON MY PILLOW:eek:

2. Stealing cushions from seats on deck for their own personal use... defeats the practice of removing them in the first place then?, and I would think the stw=eward would take them away again when he sees this happening??

3. Sitting on the stripped pool towels which are provided in the cabin (which is what I did - best make-do option I reckon).

I am hoping the proper cushions will be on the balconies when they have finished installing the sprinkler system.

Sue:)

Someone sailing on Arcadia today (13.10.06) has posted the following on cruise connections;

''They have new cushions for the balcony today, and on the next turn around they will have teak chairs and loungers also on the balconies''

Hoooooooooooooorah:)

Sue

Archived