Door Decorating

hkolln

Need some advice on door decorating ideas....

Going to look at Michaels for some stuff but unsure on what to purchase.

It will be our 7th wedding anniversary and I want to decorate with a poster board where everyone that walks by can post a message. Is that a bad idea? I have never done this so any ideas would be great!

As a big time scrapebooker here, I take my supplies and concoct a sailing theme for our door. The craft stores, Michaels, AC Moore, have tacky tape, typically in the form of gummy type bars that sells for under $3. You can use this tacky tape for the steal doors and when you remove it at the end of your cruise, it will not mark the door.;)

have tacky tape, typically in the form of gummy type Tacky tape... need I say more? Sorry, couldn't resist. I have issues with gaudy door decorations, but you already know that if you've read my previous posts on the subject.:D

Happy Sailing and "decorating"! Just please leave the Christmas lights at home.

I do get a little discombobulated at times (and no, I don't drink) getting turned around finding my cabin. I think for this reason a small ribbon or magnet on the door will work for me.;)

Again, Happy Sailing!!!

Romy

Romy ~ I always enjoy reading your posts. While folks don't always agree on these boards, as you know, ;) I am one of these people that smiles when I read posts that I don't agree with. You state it in a way that's always funny. ;)

Thank you Janet, that is very kind of you to say.:)

I try never to leave home without it...my sense of humor that is! But my opinion always finds it's way too:p !

Have a great day and Happy Sailing!!!

Romy;)

Hi!

I had to smile when I saw you were thinking of putting a poster board up (hkolln). Years ago when my daughter was in high school and I was a single mom, I decorated the hall in our apartment with poster board and everyone so loved signing it. That was great fun and brought back fond memories for me!

I know I would sign it if I passed by!:)

I ordered Cruise Critic magnet today to put on the door and will magnetize my saying "Heaven's a little closer in our home on the sea" and put it on the door. I was looking to see what some others might be planning.

Barbara

Sailing the Caribbean Princess 9/4/04, 9/11/04

i always put up a sign on the door when we cruise. i have printshop on my computer and i made signs for all of my cc buddies on the last 2 cruises i was on. if you'd like, you can email me, curly4dana@aol.com and i'll email you a copy of the sign. everyone seemed to love it@

never thought of the posterboard thingy, that's a fun idea...

My husband actually thought up the idea of putting up a posterboard and leaving it on our door and have everyone sign it when they walked by! Who knows what I'll get on it but it will be our 7th wedding anniversary and I think we'll decorate with balloons too. But the posterboard thing sounded neat. Then we'll have something to remember our cruise with too! I just have to figure out how to attach a pen to it so nobody steals it! Either that or bring a big package of pens just in case LOL

I definitely have my Meet and Mingle sign too so I'll hang that up also.

We'll be on the Voyager in February. Can NOT wait!

Laminated placemats make great door posters...small, convenient...just punch a hole @ the top, add a Sharpie pen on a string/chain and you are good to go. You can find all kinds..maps,flags, local scenes of your city or country, special events (b-day, anniv. etc.) Have seen these used these before for other events (sports tournaments etc.) and they were always a big hit. Never tried it on our cruise...but I have to say, if I would have passed a door with a "sign your name and where you are from"...I would have done so with a smile in my heart!

Happy decorating to those who do...and those who may!

Helen, happy anniversary! I have a good time planning door decorations and I hope you do too.

I tried a dry erase message board with magnets, and the magnets did not work even though the door was metal. That putty works the best, but it was not strong enough to hold up my dry erase board. You might need to use a sheet of paper and change it as needed. Or were you going to have people sign the poster? I wonder if the putty would be strong enough to hold the poster up... I suppose you will give it a test drive. Let us know how it works.

Patti

You can buy magnetic computer paper that works in your printer.. You get 5 sheets per pack, and they are 8 x 11 1/2 in size. My last cruise in May I did some for others who were in our the ship M & M group and they loved them.

You can use one sheet and put lots of graphic's on the sheet then print it and then cut them out..

EXample: 12_13_2.gif

7_13_16.gif7_15_9.gif

23_3_76.gif12_1_107.gifAll the doors on cabins are metal so they stick nicely..

Hi!

Patti, did I understand you to say that the magnets will not stick to the doors very well? Has anyone else had this problem? I don't want to go to all the trouble to magnetize door decorations and they not stick! We are going on the Caribbean Princess--anyone had experience with magnets and the cabin doors?

Thanks!!!

Barbara:)

They do sell magnetic printer paper. I saw it online. You make the decoration and then print it on this paper and it will stick to the door if it's a metal door! I'm thinking of getting some magnetic paper and trying that!

I saw the magnetic paper at Walmart. I looked at Michaels they didn't have it. I didn't buy it yet but had to check it out. I did buy some magnetic strips though. I had already made my sign and signs for the doors for the rest of our group. You know the scotch tape holds to the door well too.

My sister bought us the CC magnet. So we will have a sign and the magnet on our doors.:o

Door signs are wonderful. We were on the Galaxy 03/04 and a wonderful lady made door signs for all those cruise critic members on our cruise who wanted one. It certainly helped us in finding our cabin.....it was also fun to see all the other door signs as well. I do believe she used magnets on the back of the signs.

Door decorating is such a major thing to do on gay cruises - I'm surprised that its not more common. We enjoyed walking down different corridors on the way to dinners and shows just to see the different door decorations.

Folks will use lots of things: besides streamers and love beads we'd see wedding certificates for newlyweds, pictures of themselves from prior vacations and cruises - which makes it easier for shipboard friends to find their stateroom ("did he say the party was in 8026 or 8062?!?") - even pictures of pets!

We just put out some post-it notes and a few colored Bic pens on small velcro tabs - we got so many notes and invitations to parties that way.

As long as everything you bring is easily removable and won't harm the finish of the doors and isn't obscene - the line really doesn't care what you post on your door. Just be considerate and clean off your door before you leave the ship at the end off your cruise - your cabin steward has enough to do to get ready for the new guests w/out cleaning cellophane tape and sticky-goo off the door too!

The magnetic paper sounds great! I will check it out at Wal-Mart. My problem will be learning how to make and print the signs. Before the change on the boards, I had printed out a Cruise Critic sign I got off of this board somewhere. Can anyone help me out on making the sign on the computer? Where do you find this stuff?

BTW, I think the reason my eraser board did not work was that it might have been too heavy.

Patti

Patti ~ since I scrapbook, I take my materials from my supplies. Set aside some time on the weekend to maybe go to Michaels or AC Moore and buy cruise materials, too. And then bring it home, and scrap away your sign for the door! Maybe go to a search engine, type in the words scrapbooking, and see what sites pop up for ideas. There are tons of great sayings to put on your posterboard from these web sites. Have fun! :p :p :p

Last year I went to Michaels and purchased a nylon banner (the ones that go on a flag pole on the side of your house). They come in all kinds of scenery. I got the one with the big sun that was wearing sunglasses. I took it home and turned in all 4 hems and stitched them down. Then placed heavy duty magnets (8 magnets) around that hem. I attached the magnets with a good sturdy glue. I also bought some of those multicolored plastic flags and decorated the balcony railing with them. It was wonderful to look up and be able to find your stateroom when you were off the boat with no problem.

A couple we met would later, during the week, add balloons to our door. Imagine our surprise when we turned the corner and saw our room with all those balloons attached to the door. The people in close by staterooms loved the decorations. They said they could find their rooms with no problem.

Cindi

Archived