Door Decorating

hkolln

I just bought me some magnetic printer paper from Office Depot the other day and printed out the "meet and mingle" sign (RCL) for our cabin door and I have to say it turned out GREAT!!!! Plus it's magnetic so it will stick!

I'm going to print out some palm trees and ships and stuff and paste them all over the door too!..

Any suggestions on good things to stick on the door along with my meet and mingle sign?

I decorated my door for St. Patty day on Legend in March. My sister and I loved it. Made it so much easier to find our door. We also got a lot of comments on door. Not sure if will do it on Carib. Princess since DH is coming along. Wait and see. We just used store bought items and had some magnetic tape and applied to back and it worked great. Just make sure if you open hall door that balcony door is closed or items will blow off and down the hallway.

JanetMarie-I found placemats (laminated) at a souvenir stand in a local city tourist stop. I have also seen them @ Walmart and various card shops like Hallmark. The selection was quite extensive...national/local maps, scenes and symbols. We got one that is reversible... a Cdn map on one side and a Cdn flag the other!

Good luck with your search!

I found the magnetic computer paper at Wal-Mart.

JanetMarie, I also found some cute stuff in the scrapbook section at Hobby Lobby. I guess I will need to find some small magnets to glue to the backs of the scrapbook stuff. There were cute things like palm trees, tuxedos, etc. Not being a scrapbooker I did not know there were such things. I hope no one steals them off the door. Thanks for the tip.

Blue2blond, I decorated my door on the Elation over the New Year's holiday cruise. I did not see alot of door decorations on that cruise. But I didn't care because I enjoyed doing it and our doors were easy to find down those long corridors where door after door looks alike. I am cruising on the Elation again 9/26 and my door will be decorated. Last cruise, I surprised my in-laws by decorating their door the first night after they went to sleep. I just have fun doing it.

Thanks for all of the great tips, everyone.

I'm looking forward to seeing door decorations on my first cruise 10/3!!

JanetMarie-I'm going on a group cruise for SCRAPBOOKERS!!! Why don't you join us?! :) It's also a "Cruise for the Cure" & some of the proceeds go to breast cancer research. As part of our group planned activities, there will be a door decorating contest. My friends that are going with me & I am trying to come up with some great ideas.

Thanks for starting this thread-I've been wondering what to use to make the decorations stick!

Ronna

Wow, I had never heard of door decorating before! Been on 2 other cruises (HAL zuiderdam & also HAL oosterdam) & haven't seen any decorated doors except a couple had balloons on the first day (as you could order a welcome package with the balloons included).

So being a crafty person (& also just got into scrapbooking) I've decided to go out & buy stuff to do our door for our next cruise (which is next week!!). DH is really thrilled at the idea. :rolleyes: But just going to make it nice & classy. Bought 2 pale purple streamer type bows that I will stick in the top 2 corners of the door. Then bought a big piece of royal blue poster board. Planning to cut it in half & stick some cropped photos of us on it (use my CM cutting tools to make ovals, circles etc.). Then got some really nice larger sized silver lettering stickers to write "Sharon & Paul's Cabin" across the top. Oh & used my sizzix to cut out some colored confetti to stick around the edge. Then bought some of that 'fun tack' stuff to stick the poster to the door. Sound good?! :D

Now I'm reeeally ready to cruise!

~Sharon~

Oh wow...this is such a neat idea! Like one of the other posters, I will be a first time cruiser and a honeymooner, so I think I'd have fun doing this!

Does anyone have any pictures?

I suppose you would just do something in clipart and they cut it out?

That's what we did...we put a bunch of clipart on like Word, etc...and formatted it to fit on a sheet of paper in our printer. We first printed it on regular paper to see what it looked like. Then we used the magnetic paper and then cut around them. We have fish, cruise ships, a cute cat sitting on a lounge chair, beach balls, palm trees, etc....

We'll just put them up all over cabin door along with our Meet and Mingle sign (Royal Caribbean). I can't wait!!

Looking forward to reading more ideas on this post. We have been on 2 other cruises, one with HA and never saw any decorations of any sort and then the Island P. They (being princess) had ballons for peoples bd and ann. and some people had a few things on their doors. What i liked about that ship was the little acrylic holder outside the door that they (princess) would put info for you in. It wasn't slid under the door so you walked on it on your way in the room. It was always interesting coming back to your room to see if you had "mail". Of course the P Patter was always put in there too.

Okay, less than a week away & then we sail!! So just made our door decoration, what do you think?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v415/NJsharon/

Hopefully if you click on this link you will see the thumbnails & then click on them to see the pics larger. The 2 lilac bows on the top I will stick on the door when we get there otherwise they will probably get crushed. Not too over the top right? :)

~Sharon~

Just finished our door decoration...well one of them! Now the Gifs don't move like on the website but you get the idea...they are just pics on the actual printout. I printed it out on magnetic paper and it came out pretty good!

[url]http://kollnfamily.com/doordecoration.htm[/url]

Now this is something I'd like to do too - within reason. :) Not too sure about any balloons, but a couple of pictures and magnets sound great. I have a few months left to go, but this will be a great way to occupy some of my time before we sail (honeymoon cruise on the Tahitian Princess March 13, 2005).
Love the idea - thanks!
Tanya

I Love the idea of the magnetic door signs. This is the first year my niece and nephew are going which are 5 and 7 Just in case they get out of the room i want to post them on the doors of the people that are going with us so they can know which rooms they can go to. i get turned around sometimes in trying to find my room so this will help them And ME! LoL

• 3 weeks later...
cute decorations!

I likje ot do the door decoration thing, my TC things I'm nuts, but I bet she'd miss 'em if I didn't do it!

I usually do a new one for each day -
first day is a "welcome aboard" with photos of us, our first names, and where we are from...
then the rest are usually a new picture (usually a piece of art I downloaded ie kids at a beach, dancing girls, silly kids in bathing attire....) or maybe something appropriate to what we are doing (day at sea, snorkeling in the Caymans...) and/or a quote.

I used to leave up a place for us to write notes back and forth (I'm on the pool deck, etc) or for others to leave us notes but I'm not sure I'll do that any more.... Some kids (of the OVER 18 set I'm sure) left some not so nice notes last time...Certainly didn't want THAT in my scrapbook.

My mom gave me a magnetic dress me up snowman for one of the cruises - we dressed him in a different outfit on teh door every day!

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=darkorchid]Cool idea of something different each day. I think I will do that for my door too. Makes things fun. We are cruising in a group. I have made signs for the doors. That would be a lot of signs to make to do one for each day. I can do just mine for each day.[/color][/font]

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, this sounds cool! I'm doing this! I went on a cruise 2 years ago (Royal Caribbean) and don't remember any decorated doors but I'm doing it anyway! It will be our 2nd anniversary but I nixed the idea of a message board for people to leave notes - I can hear the drunken giggling right outside our door at 2 a.m. right now! LOL Thanks for all the cool ideas!

Archived