Door Decorating

hkolln

• 3 weeks later...
I made door signs for our cabin door and one for my sister and her DH for our cruise last week on the Star. I didn't see one other door that was decorated. I had a tropical theme with lots of decorations. I thought they were cute. We surprised my sister as we decorated their door without them knowing it. But by the end of the week almost everything was stolen and my sister's decorations were crumpled and laying on the floor. So be forwarned. There are always those few who ruin it and are just plain ignorant.

FYI - last year we had +/- 200 cabins in our little group, the majority were decorated pretty extravegently.

I believe that there were a few missing items (a kidnapped runbber chicken for example) but for the most part the decorations were left alone.

I'd say go for it - but dont put anything up you aren't afraid of loosing.

[font=Fixedsys][size=4]seabum[/size][/font]
[font=Fixedsys][size=4][/size][/font]
[font=Fixedsys][size=4]those doors were amazing!! I wish I was a parrothead just for a week because you guys look like you know how to have fun!![/size][/font]
[font=Fixedsys][size=4][/size][/font]
[font=Fixedsys][size=4]A:D [/size][/font]

Yeah - we do know how to have fun, our motto is "Party with a Purpose" (as well as "if its worth doing - its worth overdoing")

Last year we raised over $20,000 for Beast Cancer.

Hopefully we'll exceed that this year.

I'm cruising with my mother on the Mercury on 5/4/05, and I'm planning on doing a door that's a tribute to mothers - it's a Mother's Day cruise. I was thinking of covering the door with one of those colored plastic tablecloths you can buy at Party City and decorating it that way with poems and pictures and stuff. My question is, has anyone measured these doors? How wide is it?

Thanks,
Karenlynne

This is such a great thread, thanks for everyone's awesome ideas! We're cruising to Alaska in June. Today I found a very colorful 13"x18" garden flag, in the shape of birthday cake. It has three candles on top (where you would normally put the top pole through). I labeled each candle with our names, and our ages. My mom recently turned 70, I just turned 40, and my sister will turn 42 just after our cruise. So the cruise is really a milestone birthday gift for all of us. I'm so excited, I can't wait to get on the ship and put up our birthday flag! :) I'm going to stitch some heavy duty magnets inside each candle and maybe at the bottom. I've also made some magnets with the inkjet magnet paper everyone's been talking about. I did a seach on my clip art section of Word, for Alaska, wildlife, Idaho (where we're from) etc. I have killer whales, sea otters, totem poles, state flowers for both states, etc. Thanks again for the great ideas!! Happy cruising!!

Amanda in Boise

We have a large group going on Grandeur of the Seas on June 19,2005. A lot of family and friends and we decided to do the door decorating and judge them to make it more fun. I have decorated my door several times each with a different theme. We did a fall cruise and I purchased a plastic ship helm and put that on the door with fall leaves all around...I have put on jointed palm trees...and this time I have 3 ideas I have not made a decission on yet. [url]www.orientaltrading.com[/url] has some neat items for the door as well as [url]www.partyadventure.com[/url]. I think I must agree it makes it a lot easier to find your room and I also get a kick out of seeing all the doors. We are sailing on fathers day this year so I want to have that on the door somewhere.

Happy Sailing

Hi!

We just returned off the Diamond Princess. Just so that everyone knows, the magnetic paper does work on those doors.

A few of the ideas we used for decorating our doors were great, others not so much. My daughter and neice put hot pink wrapping paper over their door with various decorations and also included a pen for people to write messages. NOT a great idea! There were some really awful stuff written within the first 5 hours! They had to remove the paper and re-do the door, minus the pen.

Also want to warn others about what they put up might just walk away. I had half of my door decorations stolen right away, so that was pretty disappointing. Whatever you put, just be sure to make them so individualized that nobody else would want it. We had a lot of drunken collage kids in our hall, so I am sure that might explain where everything went, but who knows. I had put a picture of my 20 year old son on some magnetic paper on his door and my daughter caught another girl walking around with his picture. She said she wanted in since he was so cute! Made him feel good anyway!

Happy Decorating!
Pam

May be stating the obvious here but,
Last cruise I went on (and it was my first) the stewards decorated the doors of those who were celebrating birthdays anniversaries etc. with a Happy...(insert comment here) poster, streamers and balloons.
The stewards had copies of all that info.

Anyway I think the poster idea is fun. A good way not to get lost. I know I always looked for the balloons in on one of the door in our isle so that I knew which way to get to our cabin.

P.S we also bought little sailor hats and got crew and cruisers to sign them!

• 2 weeks later...
Love your signature Soccrmom65. Is "cruising on a sunday afternoon" a take from Queen's tune that has the lyrics "lazing on a sunday afternoon"?

We decorated our door and everything was taken in a day or two. No biggie. Also I looked for other decorated doors and saw none. We had brought a thick pad of Smilie Post-Its and kept sticking them on our door. Others took them and put them on their doors and all over the place. That was kinda fun :o)

Sorry to interrup this other discussion, but I am looking at booking a small group on that Panama Canal cruise on the BRILLIANCE for next spring --- so I will be interested in hearing all about your cruise. Could you please post something afterwards --- or email me directly about it? This is a group of solo RVers and this will be the first group cruise. Some have cruised a lot and some not at all. So I'm trying to pick something with not too many sea days, but a good mix --- and I thought the Panama Canal itself would be of interest to everyone, especially the men in the group.

I'm anxious to hear how you like your cruise. Thanks.:confused:

We didn't see any other door decorations but ours. I can see where it helps finding your room easily. Plus the room stewards got to know us real fast. I did a Palm tree that I bought at the party store and put stickers on it representing us and the trip along with our names. Otherwise, I felt kind of silly.

Our door decoration was the hit of our deck! We made all kinds of magnetic items and stuck them all over our door. Every day the items would move down or across from us on other peoples cabin doors. It was so much fun!
I am going to do it again on our cruise next year. The last day we had only one magnet left..everyone had taken them!

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=seagreen]I decorated our door, it was the only one I ever saw decorated![/color][/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#2e8b57]used a sun that I got from a local party supply place (MICHSUNLOVER!) and we had a group of cc's that had shared pictures of each other, so I printed them on magnetic paper and stuck them all over the door frame (on the Conquest the doors are not metal, but the door frames are). They got moved all over the door by some of our group, it was fun. By the end of the week, most were gone which was ok with me :D [/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#2e8b57][/color][/font][/b]

Last month we took the Mercury to Mexico. Since I'm an avid photographer and live in San Francisco I just happened to have a great shot of the Mercury going under the Golden Gate Bridge. I added the words "Mercury to Mexico" and printed a 4 X 6 of the picture. Then I laminated it using Scotch Photo Laminating Sheets. (You don't need a machine.) I bought some business card magnets at Office Max and cut one up into small pieces. I put a small square of self stick magnet on each of the corners and in the middle of the laminated photo - it looked great. Our cabin steward liked it so much, she asked me where I bought it so she could get one to send to her familt. Of course, I gave it to her at the end of the cruise.

I also printed some business sized copies of the photo and attached them to the business card magnets. I gave these to people I met on the cruise and they liked them very much.

I'm going to Alaska with my best friend next month and don't know what kind of magnet to make. Any ideas???:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
HAL Zuiderdam has wooden doors--I used clear sticky stuff to attach my magnetic door sign--it stayed up the entire week and came off really cleanly...
I only saw one other door decorated on the ship, but I didn't care--it made ours easy to locate and we got lots of positive feedback!

We always decorate our door and usually there are no others decorated around us. Last cruise we were on a different deck and walked down a hall and someone had their door really decorated!!! We loved it!!! It was such great fun to see how much fun someone else had decorating their door!! I'm sure that everyone that saw your door loved it!! :D

on the elation in 2004 our crazy cajun group of 48 had a blast, some of us did magnet door decorations, and some of us had sign sheets. some of our decorations got moved or lost but for the most part i think people enjoyed them. the sign up sheet went well. i think it also depends what part of the ship your in, i was in the very front so i don't think i would have gotten many sign ups. i have our door decorations on my picture trail acct along with some of our cruise pics. i am still uploading others.

• 2 weeks later...
I scrapbook, so I have plenty of materials I could have used. Wished I was less stressed and had more time before the cruise. I saw some nice items that were personalized put on the doors that were from TA's. This other one I remembered was a handmade sign using glitter that read "Happy Birthday Mama."

Archived