Maxima (and other big) scooter users

KL&KR

Hi--I would be interested in starting a conversation on cruising for BIG scooter users. We have been occasionally caught with the problem of "wheelchair accessible but not THAT monster!" :D --usually meaning too much weight. We would like to share our experiences finding accessible tourist attractions, maybe with a gripe or warning or two, but mostly trying to keep it positive and "can-do". Anyone else interested?

I have a Maxima and will be taking it for the first time on our next cruise. Our TA did not ask what size it was when making the booking....the cruise is on RCI's Radiance if that makes a difference. Is there something I should know..like trouble with the airlines or cruise line etc...:eek: ...:confused:

Thanks....I think :rolleyes:

glenn

If your TA did not ask what size your scooter is, I hope she had enough sense to at least book you in a handicapped accessible cabin, assuming one is available. Many scooters will not fit through the doorway of an ordinary cabin, nor are they very easy to get around inside the cabin. unless you have a handicapped accessible room, chances are you will have a raised lip between the cabin and the bathroom and also out to the balcony, if you have one. check the deck plans very carefully.

Yes, we are booked in an HC cabin. The last cruise we where on there where no HC cabins available and we had to take a folding wheelchair.....no fun for the wife (pusher!!) What sort of problems have you encountered traveling with your Maxima if any ?? We would also be interested in anyones excursion encounters with a large scooter.....

glenn

Our biggest problem has been that we had to take a folding chair with us to access accessible buses. My partner's weight combined with the weight of the Maxima was too heavy for the bus lift. It is also too heavy for local taxis, so, as you experienced, Buckeyeair, we used a folding wheelchair instead (and yes, no fun for the pusher). Lastly, the tender problem...has anyone found a line that can put a Maxima and rider safely into a tender (and get them out again at the dock:rolleyes: )?

We went to Hawaii, and that was pretty accessible; we walked to the handicraft market in Acapulco, mostly in the streets, because the curb cuts for the sidewalks are so iffy; and Princess arranged a bus tour in Puntarenas, Costa Rica for w/c and scooter users that was enjoyable. We have heard that the fort across from the dock in Acapulco is accessible, if steep, and a real treat for history buffs. Specifically for our upcoming trip, I would love to get a route from the pier to the Malecon in Puerto Vallarta that is scooter friendly.

KL&KR;

I am able to get off my scoot and waddle :o a short distance and sit (COPD)...so I don't need to stay on the scoot while being transported so I guess that is one advantage I have over others...the last cruise tender we where on (RCI) they put us as well as another wheelchair up front ahead of the seating on an open flat and although we had a wheelchair, there seemed to be plenty of room...I am just guessing though as this will be our first trip with the Maxima...we are going to Hawaii so I was delighted to hear you say that it was pretty accessible...I am trying to find if there will be transportation for the scoot to a Luau in Maui....hate to book it and not be able to get there :eek:

Later;

glenn

KL&KR;

I am able to get off my scoot and waddle :o a short distance and sit (COPD)...so I don't need to stay on the scoot while being transported so I guess that is one advantage I have over others...the last cruise tender we where on (RCI) they put us as well as another wheelchair up front ahead of the seating on an open flat and although we had a wheelchair, there seemed to be plenty of room...I am just guessing though as this will be our first trip with the Maxima...we are going to Hawaii so I was delighted to hear you say that it was pretty accessible...I am trying to find if there will be transportation for the scoot to a Luau in Maui....hate to book it and not be able to get there :eek:

Later;

glenn

Glenn--doublecheck with your cruise line; Hawaii's buses were good--I guess Hawaiian ADA understands big people!--but make sure the boat will tender your Maxima. These are the kinds of things I'm trying to find out, too...

Kristen

KL&KR;

Later;

glenn

Glenn--doublecheck with your cruise line; Hawaii's buses were good--I guess Hawaiian ADA understands big people!--but make sure the boat will tender your Maxima. These are the kinds of things I'm trying to find out, too...

Kristen

Archived