Tell me everything I need to know...Carnival Victory vs Carnival Legend

Fun~N~Sun

Considering a cruise to the Western Caribbean. My hesitancy with the Victory is that it is the same class ship as the Destiny which was my first and only cruise. Just thinking it would be good to try a different class of ship. My Destiny experience was not good so I'm even having reservations about cruising period but think I should be fair and give it one more try. I definitely want to go to Jamaica and Grand Cayman!

I've sailed both and enjoyed both - ironically, though, neither was the Western itinerary. (We did that on Conquest.) Each has its plusses and minuses; Victory has a similar deck plan to Destiny. I liked not having the galley midships on Legend so you can go from one end of the ship to the other, and Legend has some really nice seating areas on the Promenade deck. However, the "flow" on Legend's Promenade deck doesn't work well when there are lots of folks out and about; we especially noticed it when the photo stations were set up. Despite the break on Victory's decks 3 and 4, I thought Victory flowed better. I liked the Lido buffet restaurant on Legend better, but the seating around the pools is more crowded on Legend than on Victory. I liked Victory's "Seven Seas" theme better than the "Legends" theme and had no problem with motion on Victory. (We had an aft cabin on Legend and noticed vibration when she was sailing at 22 knots.) We had balcony cabins on both, and I can't say one was better than the other. Legend has features that Victory doesn't have, such as the sushi bar and the specialty restaurant. (My son never did get to the sushi bar, though - the lines were way too long.)

In short, IMHO, I don't think you can go wrong with either. If you have your heart set on Jamaica, though, you'll need to sail on Victory - Legend doesn't go to MoBay or Ocho Rios. Hope this helps!

I've sailed both and enjoyed both - ironically, though, neither was the Western itinerary. (We did that on Conquest.) Each has its plusses and minuses; Victory has a similar deck plan to Destiny. I liked not having the galley midships on Legend so you can go from one end of the ship to the other, and Legend has some really nice seating areas on the Promenade deck. However, the "flow" on Legend's Promenade deck doesn't work well when there are lots of folks out and about; we especially noticed it when the photo stations were set up. Despite the break on Victory's decks 3 and 4, I thought Victory flowed better. I liked the Lido buffet restaurant on Legend better, but the seating around the pools is more crowded on Legend than on Victory. I liked Victory's "Seven Seas" theme better than the "Legends" theme and had no problem with motion on Victory. (We had an aft cabin on Legend and noticed vibration when she was sailing at 22 knots.) We had balcony cabins on both, and I can't say one was better than the other. Legend has features that Victory doesn't have, such as the sushi bar and the specialty restaurant. (My son never did get to the sushi bar, though - the lines were way too long.)

In short, IMHO, I don't think you can go wrong with either. If you have your heart set on Jamaica, though, you'll need to sail on Victory - Legend doesn't go to MoBay or Ocho Rios. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your input. You are right about the Legend. I think I got a little confused. I'm trying to stay away from Cozumel too so that is another reason for the Victory.

Archived