Mauna Kea Observatory

SQUAREROOT

I would like to ask from the CC community if this is a doable trip, going to Mauna Kea Observatory? How many minutes/hours going there? Is it worth going there? After visiting the place, would there be enough time to visit other places?

Hope to hear from you guys!

Cheers!

Square

Hi, Square - I'll try to answer your questions. I don't know if you are talking about visiting from the Hilo or Kona side, it would be closer on the Hilo side, but will still take at least a couple of hours (depending upon the traffic conditions) to reach the turnoff (located on the Saddle Road) to the observatories. Then it's about another hour up, you have to stop about mid point(9000 foot level, I think) just to adjust to the altitude and get the current road conditions. There is a museum there that it well worthy the time spent looking at it.

At that point, the road gets rough and it would behoove you to rent a four-wheel drive for it. We rented a Bronco from Harper's in Hilo, but most places have them now.

You do run the risk of altitude sickness, so make sure you are prepared to take first aid steps in that situation (i.e. brush up on your Red Cross training so that you recognize the signs and know what to do.) We had a party of four and two of us got sick and two didn't.

I think there is only one observatory open for tours and you would need to check the website to see which one it is and when the hours of operation are.

Whether you have time for anything else depends upon how much time you have on the island to begin with, when you get off the ship and all that.

To be quite frank, I think you time would be better spent doing something else unless you are really into observatories or astronomy.

Charlie

I would like to ask from the CC community if this is a doable trip, going to Mauna Kea Observatory? How many minutes/hours going there? Is it worth going there? After visiting the place, would there be enough time to visit other places?

Hope to hear from you guys!

Cheers!

Square

It's an all day excursion, no matter which side you are coming from, IMHO. I'd sign up with a tour company that provides transport and oxygen, if it were me (and it is what I do with visitors) as it is a lot more comfortable and probably safer, too, to go with folks who do this all the time and know what they are doing. If going from Hilo side, try Arnott's and if from Kona, Hawaii Trails. Both do the trip all the time, offer it in the day time, and give you warm stuff and oxygen. Road above the visitors center at 9000 ft. elevation is very rough and very dicey in bad weather. Must have a 4 wheel if you do on your own, and drive slowly and cautiously. Do NOT try and go to the top of mountain and then scuba on the same day.

It's quite a drive from Kona or Hilo. At least 1-1/2 hours (maybe longer, I don't quite recall) to the Visitor's Center and then at least 30 minutes to take the short road from the center to the summit. You will have to rent a 4-wheel drive (Harpers is the only company which rents the 4-wheel and allows them up to the summit.) It's not an optional thing--you absolutely must have it for the portion past the Visitor's Center that is unpaved. This is the road that the astronomers use daily. If you attempt it with a 2-wheel drive, you risk your own safety and your car will harm the grading, such as it is, causing dangerous ruts, and thus putting the astronomers and other visitors at risk. It's certainly not horrible; my DH drove it carefully--using the 4-wheel drive--and had no problems at all.

You will need to acclimate at the Visitor's Center (9,000 ft) for at least 1 hour. You absolutely should not just keep going as you wil be risking your safety (and yes, perhaps your life because the altitude is no joke; people have had to be airlifted off at great expense). The summit is almost 14,000 ft, and even the healthiest person can have altitude sickness. On that note, children under 16, pregnant women, anyone with respiratory problems (asthma, etc.), and anyone who has or will be diving within 24 hours are not allowed to the summit. Be aware that the altitude will chew up a lot more fuel than usual, and there is none anywhere around you. Go with a full tank. You'll need shoes and socks, long pants, warm top, jacket, and it's a good idea to bring a hat and gloves (depending on time of year). Bring plenty of water as it is dehydrating up there.

At the summit, move slowly and take your time to get adjusted. Don't push yourself. It's spectacular viewing so just go slowly and enjoy it. Absolutely incredible on a clear day. In fact, it's pretty much impossible to describe.

The only observatory that you will have any access to during the week will be the Keck viewing room. There are no actual tours, except those done by the University of Hawaii on the weekends (free tour, you must have your own 4-wheel drive vehicle, and you will be required to meet at the Visitor's Center and stay with the group). The UofH tour includes the Keck viewing room (we had the added bonus of one of the astronomers there that day "showing off" for us by moving the mirrors, etc.--awesome!), as well as a full tour of the UofH's smaller (but still impressive) telescope. Depending on scheduling and maintenance, they sometimes have a tour of one of the other telescopes, but don't count on it. The UofH has free stargazing every clear night of the year (more than 300) down at the Visitor's Center using their portable telescopes. Really great.

The easiest thing for cruise pax is probably going to be shelling out the bucks for a commercial tour which will usually provide a meal, parkas (it's very cold at the summit day or night all year long; yes, this is where it snows), and have oxygen with them (just in case). However, many of the tours don't leave until afternoon and stay all evening for the UofH stargazing. BTW, no one is allowed on the summit after sunset--no one, no exceptions, except of course the staff who works there.

This is not intended to discourage you, not at all. It's so that you know what to expect. It is indeed an all day event, but well worth it for those willing to put in the effort (and money, those Harpers car are not cheap).

beachchick

Archived