Sailing out of Cape Liberty ...

Bennett'sCruise

Be prepared for price sticker shock. I had never been to the East either, but booked Celebrity New England/Canada tour out of Cape Liberty. I wanted to see New York City being a first timer, I booked airfare into JFK independently and stayed at the Hotel Edison in Times Square (I booked a year out and got it for $210 per night, the day before we left, the hotel had gone up to $359 per night). The shuttle from JFK to the hotel was $34 for two of us and took about an hour. SO far so good. Started looking into transportation from Manhattan to Cape Liberty (12 miles). I had five different cab companies want from $220 to $450 for a one way trip from Manhattan to Cape Liberty (they say because they are leaving NYC and crossing to New Jersey, they can charge for the return to NYC even though you aren't in the cab). I ended up going with City of New York Transportation for a private van for $98 from Hotel to Pier, then another $109 from pier to JFK. I live in Los Angeles, and thought things here were expensive, but I was astounded with the prices in New York City. And Celebrity won't do transfers to JFK. They do Newark, but then you'd have transportation costs to downtown Manhattan. I searched for over 10 months and found nothing reasonable. Other posters have also recommended a company called Carmel Limo. I would definitely go with the private transportation, versus cabs. Good luck!:D

... and we want to see NYC for a few days pre-cruise.

We need suggestions ...

*Where do we fly into?

*Where do we stay?

*Shuttles vs. cabs?

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. We've never been to the northeast.

~dianne

In this order:

LaGuardia

Newark

JFK

Unless you can save more than $300 in airfare, try to avoid flying into JFK. It is the furthest airport from Manhattan and the most expensive to get into the city.

Use a private car service from and to the airport. It is usually only a couple dollars more than cabs and a much more pleasant experience.

Most first time tourists like to stay in Midtown West in the Times Square area.

Everyone has their own ideas about this but I prefer Kennedy, although I am closer to both LGA and EWR. Kennedy is the least likely to be delayed in or out of. LGA is the worst for delays by far. EWR has become very bad but to the Liberty Cruise port it is by far the closest. Personally given cab issues, I would fly into and out of Newark if I was using Port Liberty. The only problem is getting from Manhattan to Port Liberty. Call either Arecibo(yes I know they are in Brooklyn or Carmel...it shouldn't be more than $50-60 to Port Liberty. Its only five miles from the Holland Tunnel).....Does RCL provide any transportantion to the Port from Manhattan? If so take a cab there and use theirs...

At the risk of confusing you further, I'll offer a different opinion.

1. I would fly into Newark (EWR), not LaGuardia (LGA) or JFK. If you don't mind public transportation (I use it all the time), it's easy to get from EWR into Manhattan--take the monorail from EWR to the Newark Airport train station (ten minutes), then a train into Penn Station, NYC. Much cheaper than taking a cab from any of the airports into Manhattan.

2. Check out the Hyatt Regency (right on the Hudson River) and the Courtyard in Jersey City. (See Tripadvisor for reviews & further info.) Both are ideally placed for getting into/out of Manhattan (by PATH train--15 minutes; $1.75 each way) and to Cape Liberty at Bayonne; they're also convenient if you fly into EWR (easier & cheaper by taxi from EWR than taking the taxi all the way into Manhattan.)

At the risk of confusing you further, I'll offer a different opinion.

1. I would fly into Newark (EWR), not LaGuardia (LGA) or JFK. If you don't mind public transportation (I use it all the time), it's easy to get from EWR into Manhattan--take the monorail from EWR to the Newark Airport train station (ten minutes), then a train into Penn Station, NYC. Much cheaper than taking a cab from any of the airports into Manhattan.

2. Check out the Hyatt Regency (right on the Hudson River) and the Courtyard in Jersey City. (See Tripadvisor for reviews & further info.) Both are ideally placed for getting into/out of Manhattan (by PATH train--15 minutes; $1.75 each way) and to Cape Liberty at Bayonne; they're also convenient if you fly into EWR (easier & cheaper by taxi from EWR than taking the taxi all the way into Manhattan.)

With luggage a newbie on the airtrain is a bad idea. I've done it dozens of times and it is a big PIA.

The Jersey City hotels are almost as expensive as Manhattan hotels so there really isn't any reason to stay in New Jersey if you want to sight see in Manhattan.

THANKS to many of you, a friend who lives on Long Island, and some late night on-line work of my own, I've come up with a plan for our 2 day pre-cruise stay in the New Jersey/New York area.

*We will fly into Newark (EWR) on 9/26.

*We will stay at RCI's pre-cruise hotel, Hilton Newark/Penn Stn, for 2 nights pre-cruise.

*On 9/27 we will venture into Manhattan for a 1-day tour.

-We will take a cab from our hotel to the Colgate/Exchange Place Ferry Terminal (New Jersey).

-We will take the ferry across to Midtown/39th Street terminal.(can purchase ferry tickets on-line before we leave)

-From there we will take the free ferry bus down to 8th Avenue and the Grey Line Visitor's Center.

-We will take the Manhattan Comprehensive Motor Coach Tour from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ($83/each, including lunch and Ellis Island). (can purchase tour tickets on-line before we leave)

-After the tour we will reverse our itinerary and get back to our hotel in New Jersey.

*On 9/28 the Explorer of the Seas leaves from Cape Liberty, New Jersey.:D

If any of you who know the area see any probs with this plan, please let me know. THANKS SO MUCH!

~dianne

Archived