Wheelchair Accessible Cabin - have you ever been bumped?

mrstay

First I want to say that by posting this or by making this reservation I am not trying to take a wheelchair accessible cabin away from anyone that might need it. I am more than willing to give this reservation up and get moved if the cabin is needed.

Has anyone had the situation of booking a wheelchair cabin (and you do not have a wheelchair) that was made available to the public to purchase and then you got a call to be bumped to another cabin?

RCCL assures me that they will call first to verify our need for the cabin and if they need it that they will take it and offer us an upgrade. Anyone have had this happen to you?

I have an accessable cabin on next week's sailing of the Serenade. RCI certainly hasn't called me to verify my need.

Do you mind me asking:

1. Are you in need of a wheelchair accessible cabin due to a handicap or was it available and you took it like I did?

2. Did you book directly through RCCL or through a TA? I know if you book through RCCL they question you as to the need?

The reason I ask is because RCCl said the only thing that could happen if they need the cabin would be an upgrade. Since I have a cat J inside then she said they would upgrade to a window. No problem for me on an Alaskan cruise. I know the cabin would be smaller but no problem.

mrstay, I assume you are booking for next year's cruise. If so, please change to another room now. There are so few accessible cabins available for people that truly need them. Once the cabin is out of inventory, it's out of inventory. So if somebody calls to book, they won't even be given the option of "taking" that room from you. The customer service rep is wrong.

Last year I booked a cruise about 7 weeks before sailing. I booked directly with RCCL and they gave me a handicapped room. They did say they'd call if they needed it but I never got that call. But, I'm writing to put my input in as I believe you cannot book such a room far out before cruise unless you are handicapped. They do open up closer to sailing.

I don't think I'd like a handicapped bathroom, if it wasn't necessary! We were given a handicapped room in a hotel once--the toilet was so high, a stepstool was needed!!!!! Not to mention that the entire bathroom floor got wet anytime a shower was taken! No thank-you!

Actually I thought the same thing about the shower. But, the way the floor is pitched the drain and the shower curtain contained the shower flow so the bathroom floor never got wet. The shower itself was very large. The bathroom itself was huge. The room was more than 1 1/2 size of a reg E1 balcony. Therefore the balcony was larger as well. Then of course there was a window plus the sliding door. All in all the room was definitely a plus.

Do you mind me asking:

1. Are you in need of a wheelchair accessible cabin due to a handicap or was it available and you took it like I did?

2. Did you book directly through RCCL or through a TA? I know if you book through RCCL they question you as to the need?

The reason I ask is because RCCl said the only thing that could happen if they need the cabin would be an upgrade. Since I have a cat J inside then she said they would upgrade to a window. No problem for me on an Alaskan cruise. I know the cabin would be smaller but no problem.

No, I don't mind your asking. I made my reservation in late February through my travel company, and I requested a handicapped cabin, based upon need.

I don't think they will bump from an HC. I needed one for our 10/16 sailing and was told that there were none available. The rep also told me that there was not any way for her to "access" information as to what room might have AB pax.

We were told by RC that the rooms are set aside and verification of need is required from a physician if you are booking the room more than 45 days in advanced. I would assume this means you need the room because you have a wheel chair or other type of equipment that does not fit in a regular room- not because you are asthmatic or have another impairment (which may be legitimate- but does not mean you need a larger, modified room).

Now, we are sailing with a friend booked as a solo passenger in an interior room through RC, she was told to call back on day 45 and they would move her reservation if there was an available room open. She called and was changed to an inside handicapped.

We also had friends book a last minute cruise on the internet and they were assigned an ov handicapped room. At first she thought it would be weird to have the large bathroom, but quickly found the room is huge and loved having the extra space.

I'm on the Navigator in November, had an accident and I am now in a wheelchair (not permenent btw). I called both RC and the TA so we could change to an accessible cabin and were told too bad. We're on deck 8 in a PR cabin and there is only one accessible cabin on that deck and it's taken. They never offered anything except to check the reservation to see if that cabin was requested (they wouldn't check to see if it was needed) and since that cabin had been requested, I'm out of luck. No other options were offered. I did ask what the difference is, and the accessible cabins have no threshold in the entry and b-room to try and get over, a "turn" radius for a wheelchair in the cabin, grab bars in the bathroom & shower (these really come in handy I can attest to that!) a higher terlit seat so you're even with the sink, a shower stool...not too much, just EVERYTHING that would make life so much easier when your in a wheelchair and can't walk. I was kind of surprised by the "too bad" attitude when I called RC, and when I called the TA she said "no they don't even have any handicap rooms". Oh well...hopefully I'll get better and be able to walk and out of the WC by then :) but either way I CAN'T WAIT and am looking forward to having a great cruise! Also, it's not that I've ever been insensitive before...but this seriously opened my eyes to those that have to adapt life when they are permenently in a wheelchair! Maybe I should become an advocate (but heck...I couldn't even do my own self any good!)

Reading posts from people who actually have the guts to take an accessible cabin when they are able-bodied, makes me physiclaly ill. My hubby is handiapped and must use a scooter or wheelchair to get around. We have been trying to book an Alaskan cruise for a year now and there are NEVER any HC available. Now I see why. My hubby cannot get a scooter or even a wheelchair through the door of a regular cabin and even if that were not a problem, he must have a handicapped accessible shower stall and bathroom facilities. When an able-bodied person takes an accessible cabin they are denying us a chance to enjoy a cruise through no fault of our own. It doesn't matter that RCI will allow you to book, your moral conscious should come into play. Believe me, we hear plenty of snide remarks from people because we (and I quote) "are lucky and get so many perks just because you can't walk". This is hideous. My husband would gladly get out of the WC and let you take over if he could trade places with you and just walk. By the way andnikali, I hope you did enjoy all that space because that more than likely meant someone wasn't able to cruise because you were enjoying that space. Please excuse me if I sound bitter, but it's truly heartbreaking when my husband cannot cruise to Alaska because perfectly able-bodied people take the very few accessible cabins away from us.

I have to agree with the above poster, my husband has multiple sclerosis and uses a scooter to get around. We have never been able to book a handicapped room. The last cruise we booked a family suite and his scooter did fit through the door and there was enough room for it inside. We're going on the jewel next month and have an E1 cabin booked. We're hoping that there will be room for the scooter inside. Luckily my husband can still walk short distances so getting around the cabin will be okay. I really wish RCI would hold the cabins for the truly needy so they will be able to cruise. We would give anything for my husband to be able to get around easily and we don't expect anything extra because of his difficulty. But for someone to book the cabin and be willing to move if it's needed for a handicapped person is sad. Also I might as well vent about the trouble getting an elevator on board during busy times. It's amazing how rude people can be about the elevators! I'm sorry for rambling but this topic touched a nerve with me.:(

JDH - my heart goes out to you! Been there - done that myself, but am now thankfully out of a WC and took many cruises with my late husband with him in a WC. I just called RCCL about a price reduction I just saw on here and happened to say something about being slightly handicapped and she told me there was a WC cabin available on my deck. I thanked her, but said I didn't need it - that it should go to someone in a WC. I whole-heartedly agree with everything you said. My best to both of you.

When an able-bodied person takes an accessible cabin they are denying us a chance to enjoy a cruise through no fault of our own.

I can understand your sensitivity to this issue, but it seems to me that these particular posters were actually saying that the acc. rooms CANNOT be booked by someone who does not need them UNLESS it is close to the cruise date and they have not been sold. Under those circumstanses I don't see a problem, because the cabin had been available to people who needed it - and nobody took it.

. By the way andnikali, I hope you did enjoy all that space because that more than likely meant someone wasn't able to cruise because you were enjoying that space. Please excuse me if I sound bitter, but it's truly heartbreaking when my husband cannot cruise to Alaska because perfectly able-bodied people take the very few accessible cabins away from us.

Just to make this clear- I did not book, nor have I ever stayed in a handicapped room. I was simply stating the policy of RC- that is a handicapped room has not been booked 45 days prior to the sailing it is available for the general public to occupy.

My friends were booked into a handicapped room through an internet cruise site, they did not request it- it was assigned to them as they booked a cruise 3 weeks prior to sailing. My single friend reassigned her room to a handicapped after the wait period expired, of note she has now moved to another cabin (not handicapped) in another region of the ship. And, I can guarantee you that had either of these two families been asked to move cabins they would have done so without hesitation.

I am sorry that you have been attempting to book a cruise without success for over one year. But don't attack me for simply stating the policy of the cruiseline.

I can understand your sensitivity to this issue, but it seems to me that these particular posters were actually saying that the acc. rooms CANNOT be booked by someone who does not need them UNLESS it is close to the cruise date and they have not been sold. Under those circumstanses I don't see a problem, because the cabin had been available to people who needed it - and nobody took it.

Except that the OP's cruise is not until next September if his signature is correct, which means that it was not reserved for a handicapped passenger until after 45 days out.

I have no problems with the cruiseline's releasing handicapped cabins to the general public if the cruise is a short time away, but when I see people purposefully booking them when they don't need them almost a year out, that's when I have a problem.

as occupants of accessible cabins on several rcl ships and we are going again on the brilliance next week for 30 days back2back, let me state what the cruise line has always represented to us as their policy on accessible cabins.

1st. they cannot be booked on the internet unless within 45 days of sailing, in which case they open them up, on the assumption that anyone needing an accessible cabin would have booked one already. i think that is a reasonable policy. If, prior to that time, you go to their website and try to book an accessible cabin online, the system does not allow you to do so; it tells you to call customer service or special needs

2nd. and this is where all the hanky panky gets into the system, any TA calling to make a reservation and stating he/she has a client that requires an accessible room is allowed to do so. The assumption made is that all TAs are honorable honest hard working and dont tell lies to get favored treatment for their best customers.

so between the truly in need of an accessible cabin who have learned the hard way you have to reserve far in advance, and those passengers whose reservations are made by TAs ,whether their need is real or not, the few accessible cabins in the inventory soon disappear.

3rd the system does not permit the cruise line to go back into the inventory and determine if indeed the accessible cabin has been sold to an able bodied person. and there are lots of disabilities, not just wheel chairs. on new ships these same cabins are equiped to accomodate blind, hard of hearing, those in need of oxygen etc they are even rightly sold to people subject to seizures because the cabins are equipped with emergeny pull cords. so in summary, once an accessible cabin is booked the system assumes the need is legitimate.

and all this is futher complicated by privacy issues and so they are rightfully reluctant to ask a prospective passenger just what the disability entails. of course, those of us that are so disabled tell them that right up front when making the reservation.

if you are interested, go to the disabled board here and you will find lengthy postings on seemingly able bodied booking accessible cabins:)

Believe me, we hear plenty of snide remarks from people because we (and I quote) "are lucky and get so many perks just because you can't walk". This is hideous. My husband would gladly get out of the WC and let you take over if he could trade places with you and just walk.
My wife is Blind and we have been told by a few people "wow you are luckey, you get to park in a HC parking spot when your wife is in the car. On our one and only cruise we can use a regular cabin. Like your husband my wife would be happy to walk from the far end of a parking lot if she had her vision.

The gall of some people.

Some dissability is not obvious like seizures or sleep apnea or renal failure that requires bulky equipments in the rooms.
Sleep apnea is not a dissabiity, nor does it require bulky equipment. 12x6x8 inches for a sleep machine is small!

Just my two cents, but HC rooms should not be open to AB until every standard room is sold. As well a confirmation of the necessity should be standard practice. This would allow for last minute bookings by the very people these rooms were designed for. It's not like there are hundreds of them on a ship.

Just my two cents, but HC rooms should not be open to AB until every standard room is sold. As well a confirmation of the necessity should be standard practice. This would allow for last minute bookings by the very people these rooms were designed for. It's not like there are hundreds of them on a ship.

This really sounds like a good idea.

Some folks do have a physical disability but do not require wheelchairs, but DO need grab bars, or no steps into the bathroom (an example would be someone who has had knee or hip surgery, or lung diseases)

Personally I think they should make more rooms that would accomodate all types of disabilities. With wider doors and etc. (at hotels too) the worlds population is aging, and nobody can predict a stroke or such. Although there would be a few less cabins on the ship, they dont all sail full anyway!

Archived