QE2 Autumn Colours Sep 06 Review

rjms74

Hello,

I am now going to right a review bit by bit and from what I remember of a great cruise, my 7th with Cunard onboard the QE2. I have been home a week now and am already booking another cruise for next year (have already booked a crossing for April 2008 onboard from NYC to the UK).

I will try not to be too boring or write too much!! On the 13 September I left my home which is about 90 miles from the port of Southampton and after stopping for a light lunch / drink I arrived at the QEII termimal at about 1.20 pm. I must say upon arrival things did not appear to be as organised as they usually are. In fact there was so much of queue that I was dropped off in the centre where the taxis usually park and then I had to attract the attention of one of the porters who assured me that my two large cases would be ok. I then looked towards the entrace to the terminal and there was a long queue forming outside.

After attracting the attention of one of the Cunard representatives I explained that I was travelling in the Princess Grill and could I join this Grill check by missing the queues outside. She was very nice and I was soon joining the Grill & Platinum check-in. This was quite a long queue and I will be honest and say I must have been in it for about half an hour. The Caronia & Mauretania queues were very long and it appeared that everyone had ignored the suggested check in times and just turned up when they wanted to henced the long queues everywhere! After checking in and being given a priority boarding pass I went through security and then onto the embarkation lounge.

It was hear that I was a bit taken aback because there must have been nearly 500 people already sat down and waiting to board and whereas on all my previous QE2 cruises I have gone straight onto boarding a lady I asked and it must have been about 1.45 pm ish said we don't start boardining on this ship until 2pm which I argued and said I've usually got onboard in the past from 1.15 pm!!! I did not pursue this but willl with Cunard directly as some of my tablemates said they were on QE2 at about 1pm!!!!! As it transpired I boarded at about 2.25 pm and was in my cabin 2113 shortly after.

I had not previously had this cabin and for one person it was quite spacious with the usual long panelled corridor, spacious bathroom (though not marble tiled like QG single cabins) and only one closet although there were about ten drawers in the dressing table area with plenty of storage space. It's always a shame with the closet having so much room taken up by the safe & fridge! I then had a very pleasant surprise when I looked at my table reservation as I had been allocated to table 67 in the Queens Grill Restaurant - this was great news as even though my cabin was still PG grade Cunard had upgraded my restaurant allocation.

I then went to afternoon tea (the only day I went for the whole voyage - did not even make it to tea in the QG lounge either) and service was a bit slower than usual but very nice sandwiches & cakes & a much needed cup of tea or two! What I noticed instantly on this first day was that most passengers were seasoned Cunard passengers and loved the ship! It was quite a nice day so I watched the sailaway and we left at about 5.10 pm with the Caribbean band fusion playing on Sun Deck. Just being back on QE2 is so special and after having had a 'health scare' & operation days before I boarded I knew I was in the right place to relax & have the usual great holiday. Our Captain was David Perkins who apparently was the former master of the Caronia former Cunard ship. Very interestingly he did not always give the noon day address/announcement himself but left this to the Third Office of the Watch! He also got his nautical miles & distances from & to ports very wrong which was not an encouraging sign from the outset!

Before dinner I met up with friends in the Yacht Club and we had a good chat & a few drinks and then it was time to get ready for my first dinner back in the Queens Grill. It goes without saying that any meal in this Restaurant is very special & a culinary delight and my first meal was just that - I started as I meant to carry on with caviar to start, an excellent fillet steak & pepper sauce & I have to be honest having had so many wonderful deserts I dont' remember what I had this first night!!!! The seas appeared to be kind to us this first evening. I met my tablemates for the first night, a gentleman from New York who last year had spent 4 months on QE2 (not the World Cruise) and in the QG Restaurant & two delightful middle aged couples from the UK like myself. We all hit it off from the outset and I knew then I was on a good table (it is situated in what is known as the well or pit).I have always found on Cunard & esp. QE2 that the Maitre D' always seems to match up people very well on mixed tables. This first night I was quite tired so after a walk on Boat Deck I retired quite early.

Upon waking up the next day you could definitely tell you were at sea with a very noticeable movement from both left to right & also forward to aft - quite violent at times!!!!

Part 2 to follow shortly - I am sorry if I write to much & hope it is not too boring!

Not at all boring or too long! It's nice to see how "the other half" lives (the other half being those who have travelled QE2, Transatlantic, and QG, as I have done none of the above...yet!)

Thank you for sharing. I look forward to part II and beyond!

Karie,

who hopes to strike it rich, so I can do all three of the above, and as often as I wish!

RJMS74.....ABSOLUTELY not boring....eagerly awaiting your next installments. While I doubt I'll ever have the pleasure of sailing on the QE2, it's such fun to vicariously share a journey like yours. And being a former New Englander I' looking forward to hearing how you enjoyed that part of the trip as well. So do keep it coming...we're all waiting!!

Cunardqueen...Bon Voyage and congratulations on your upcoming 100th Cunard night. Now that's exciting!!!

Cheers, Penny

Hi Paul,

I certainly will be writing part 2 of my review of my recent Qe2 cruise this weekend. Hope you can wait until then.

Have been back now nearly 2 weeks & already want to be back onboard! I now have to wait until Oct & Dec next year for my next cruises onboard!!!

It's too long a wait - in between though I am back on P & O's Arcadia - a great ship but nothing like QE2!!!!

Regards,

RJMS74

Archived