Need opinions from seasoned cruisers?

Sandi149

Hi,

My husband and I are looking into going on cruise to the Caribbean next May or June to the Caribbean. I am looking at Princess, Norwegian and Carnival, all leaving out of NY. I really would like to go on Princess but the price for a balcony cabin for that time is at least $3,200. A bit more than we can spend. Is there a possibility that we can get an early booking discount? We will also be taking a 2 night cruise on the Carnival Legend next week. Since Carnival owns Princess would we be able to get another discount because it would be our 2nd cruise with them?

Anything you can tell me is appreciated. How does the food compare on the 3 different lines, the service, cleanliness, cabin size, etc?

Thanks,

Sandi :)

The only discount I got for my next cruise was to book early. My cabin cat. is now going for $170.00 more than what I paid. I don't think that they transfer past guest discounts from line to line, even if they are owned by the same company. You're going to get a lot of people telling you to book a gauranty Balcony. I don't know how much this saves, I've never done it. I like to know what cabin I'm getting. Now going with Carnival for my next cruise, I'm saving @$400.00 -$500.00, and the Carnival cruise is an 8 day not a 7, with Princess.

The Princess cruise is for 9 days. Do you know if Princess does the balcony guarantee? I too would like to pick out my cabin but if I could get a good discount by doing the guarantee, I would take it.

I've never noticed a lower price for guaranty. But, there is a *Chance* you will be assigned a room in a higher category than you booked.

Carnival Cruises do not count towards Princess and vice versa; same for the other Carnival brands.

If the Crown is the ship you are considering, I would research all you can before plunking down so much money. The reviews on this and other sites are truly all over the place re this ship.

Have you considered the Noordam?

I would choose NCL Dawn over the Liberty as I found that class of ship on Carnival to be very poorly designed. It felt extremely crowded all of the time, with long lines. I admit to not being a Carnival fan after three cruises on them, and am not a fan of NCL either but would opt for NCL if that was my other choice.

Carnival Cruises do not count towards Princess and vice versa; same for the other Carnival brands.

If the Crown is the ship you are considering, I would research all you can before plunking down so much money. The reviews on this and other sites are truly all over the place re this ship.

Have you considered the Noordam?

I would choose NCL Dawn over the Liberty as I found that class of ship on Carnival to be very poorly designed. It felt extremely crowded all of the time, with long lines. I admit to not being a Carnival fan after three cruises on them, and am not a fan of NCL either but would opt for NCL if that was my other choice.

The Crown was the one I was looking into. I thought it got good reviews?

Yes I did look into the Noordam but that one only goes to the Caribbean from NY starting in Oct.

So you would opt NCL over Carnival? Do you like that Freestyle Dining? I'm not sure if I would like that plus I heard there are long waits in some of the restaurants.

Do you think if I go to a TA he/she could get me a better rate then the prices quoted on the cruise line's websites?

Thanks,

Sandi

Actually you do get credit for past passenger status from one Carnival brand to another. It's called Vacation Interchange Priveleges (VIP). Having said that, the discount is not availabale on every sailing so you gotta check with your TA. About guarantees, my experience is that by booking early, you will have a better chance for an upgrade on Princess than most other lines. If it were me, I'd book an OV guarantee. Past experience dictates that an upgrade to a balcony is a good bet. As far as Carnival vs NCL, and having sailed both .... I'd only go with NCL if it was totally complimentary. Yes, it's that bad!

The Crown was the one I was looking into. I thought it got good reviews?

Yes I did look into the Noordam but that one only goes to the Caribbean from NY starting in Oct.

So you would opt NCL over Carnival? Do you like that Freestyle Dining? I'm not sure if I would like that plus I heard there are long waits in some of the restaurants.

Do you think if I go to a TA he/she could get me a better rate then the prices quoted on the cruise line's websites?

Thanks,

Sandi

No, I do not like Freestyle and I am not a fan of NCL. But I am even less of a fan of Carnival, hence the reason for my comment.

While the "formal" reviews have been good, the daily postings on Crown are all over the place. Unfortunately, these threads get pulled because those posting are attacked viciously. Anyone that does not wax poetic is flamed.

I think a good TA is the best bet for you. Get recommendations from friends or co-workers. As a first timer, I think the benefits aren significant. But then, I am a good TA and I take care of my clients:D.

Actually you do get credit for past passenger status from one Carnival brand to another. It's called Vacation Interchange Priveleges (VIP). Having said that, the discount is not availabale on every sailing so you gotta check with your TA. About guarantees, my experience is that by booking early, you will have a better chance for an upgrade on Princess than most other lines. If it were me, I'd book an OV guarantee. Past experience dictates that an upgrade to a balcony is a good bet. As far as Carnival vs NCL, and having sailed both .... I'd only go with NCL if it was totally complimentary. Yes, it's that bad!

With regard to NCL, how did you like that Freestyle Dining? Which ship did you go on? If I go on NCL I would go on either the Spirit or the Dawn. Were there long lines to get into the restaurants? Do they even have regular traditional dining on NCL?

Thanks. :)

oops read your post wrong...didn't realize you meant NCL was so bad.

Ok....that's what I heard also.

No, I do not like Freestyle and I am not a fan of NCL. But I am even less of a fan of Carnival, hence the reason for my comment.

While the "formal" reviews have been good, the daily postings on Crown are all over the place. Unfortunately, these threads get pulled because those posting are attacked viciously. Anyone that does not wax poetic is flamed.

I think a good TA is the best bet for you. Get recommendations from friends or co-workers. As a first timer, I think the benefits aren significant. But then, I am a good TA and I take care of my clients:D.

Well like I said in my original post, next week I will be going on a 2 night CTN aboard the Carnival Legend. I will see how I like Carnival. Hopefully it will be good. Although the Miracle will be taking over the Legend's place next year on the NY run. What have you heard about the Miracle? Hopefully something good.

Thanks. :D

Well like I said in my original post, next week I will be going on a 2 night CTN aboard the Carnival Legend. I will see how I like Carnival. Hopefully it will be good. Although the Miracle will be taking over the Legend's place next year on the NY run. What have you heard about the Miracle? Hopefully something good.

Thanks. :D

Actually, the reports on Miracle are good. It is a different class of ship and does not have the crowding issues.

Actually, the reports on Miracle are good. It is a different class of ship and does not have the crowding issues.

The Legend is the sister ship so the layout is the same. I guess I will find out next week how Carnival is. I am still hoping to be able to go on Princess next year. That ship just looks so beautiful. Have lots of homework to do. :D

I appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Sandi

The Legend is the sister ship so the layout is the same. I guess I will find out next week how Carnival is. I am still hoping to be able to go on Princess next year. That ship just looks so beautiful. Have lots of homework to do. :D

I appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Sandi

I believe Legend is Conquest Class and Miracle is Spirit class. Totally different ships.

With regard to NCL, how did you like that Freestyle Dining? Which ship did you go on? If I go on NCL I would go on either the Spirit or the Dawn. Were there long lines to get into the restaurants? Do they even have regular traditional dining on NCL?

We've been on two NCL cruises, the third is next month. We love Freestyle Dining (and the other aspects of Freestyle crusing). No, NCL does not have traditional dining (assigned tables/times). We never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a table (either 4 or 5 of us, depending upon the night). I understand there can be lines if you want to eat at 8ish. We prefer to eat earlier and never had a problem.

BTW, we've been on the Sky, Dream and the Sun is next.

Nope Legend is Spirit class. I read up a lot about the Legend before I booked this cruise.

I just looked at the stats and you are correct. Hopefully, you will like the ship. I am not a fan of Carnival after three cruises with them but there are many who love the line.

Enjoy:)

We've been on all three: Princess 3x, Carnival and NCL 1 each. I didn't notice a difference in cleanliness among them; I think all ships do a very good job on that. Room size is probably best on Carnival, least on NCL, but still very efficiently laid out. We've had extremely good service on Princess, with one glaring exception--a waiter who was stiff and rude. It can happen anywhere. We've used both traditional and anytime seating on Princess, but we generally prefer traditional, since we get to know the waitstaff and they get to know us. We didn't mind Freestyle on NCL, but the second or third night we found a waiter we loved and stuck with him the rest of the cruise. We always ate around 6:00 and had no problem with lines. NCL's dining rooms, by the way, are much more spacious than on any other line we've been on. My wife had to use a wheelchair for a few days and we had no trouble moving it through the room. We detested the "carnival" atmosphere of the dining room on Carnival, maitre d' screaming on the PA system and the waiters having to sing and dance every night in the middle of dinner. Food was good on all three, at least in the dining rooms. Buffets on Princess were the best quality of the three, but Carnival had better variety and NCL wins hands down for keeping hot food hot, both in the dining rooms and on the buffet.

Entertainment (theater, music and everything else) was best on Princess and really disappointing on Carnival, with the exception of 2 stage shows that were awesome. NCL was uneven, ranging from very good to mediocre. With Carnival's reputation as the "party ship," I expected more. Our daughter and her three girlfriends (all 18 at the time and past cruisers on other lines) were likewise disappointed and said they had a better time on other ships.

Embarkation/disembarkation on Princess and NCL is swift and painless, not so on Carnival, where we stood on line for nearly two hours. Princess also handles tendering in ports much better than NCL and Carnival.

I'd return to Princess anytime, but I'd need a strong incentive to go back to Carnival. NCL surprised us as being better than we thought and heard it would be. We found Freestyle dining relaxed and the lack of "formal" nights in the dining room meant we could pack lighter and still eat in style. (There's still an optional formal dining room one night for those who choose it.)

I hope this was helpful. Enjoy your cruise!

Just booked a Princess Cruise ,tried to get my Interchange privelages from HAL to be recognised .The TA said They don't recognise them or vise Versa.so no discount for us! Re NCL & Freestyle. Went on the Dawn this Spring from NY ,One of the best cruises we have experienced.Service was fast we had a Stroller with us & there was plenty of room every where, & it was sold out. Parking at the ship was expensive $25/day so we stayed at the Sheraton on the River N J & parked for 11 days for free. They had a security guard on duty at all times Roy

I've been on 6 Freestyle cruises and have loved every one of them. Over the course of those 6 cruises, I've only had to wait to be seated twice, and each time was for 5-10 minutes, tops.

No, NCL does not offer regular traditional dining, but other passengers have posted that you can arrange a standing reservation in one of the main dining rooms if you speak to the maitre d'.

Archived