Karaoke vs American Idol on HAL

ssolomon56

We're going to be on the Oosterdam for their 10/14 sailing - and I have a question regarding karaoke.

I love to sing - and I always enjoy singing at Karaoke on every cruise...and generally at the guest Talent Show too. But, I've been reading about HALs new American Idol-type karaoke. I'm a big fan of American Idol....but, I sure as heck wouldn't want to be constantly judged by mean judges...and made to feel silly. How does this all work? Is there regular karaoke too...or does it start with karaoke and then certain performers are asked to compete in the contest.

Does anyone know?

I recently returned from a trip on the Zuiderdam. The American Idol type contest is known as Zuiderdam Superstar. It started out with a karaoke style try-out where anyone could sing. Each singer was then given the opportunity to sign a Zuiderdam Superstar "contract" and compete in the contest. There were ten contestants the first night, which were then down to five and then to three and then finally to the winner on subsequent nights. The judges were Que, the Cruise Director, Kelsey, one of the assistant cruise directors and Christian, the male lead singer from the Zuiderdam singers. None of them made any disparaging remarks and it was all handled very well. There were a lot of joke and laughter but none at the expense of the singers. In fact all of the judges made mention of how brave people were for getting up in front of an audience and singing. I did not participate but I loved watching and it was one of my favorite parts. It was great entertainment and the judges were hysterical. The singers were all good as well.

I have entered and won a few of these. Warning!!! On the Oosterdam the American Idol type thing, they are very rude and yes, I have seen them be mean. If you are at all thin skinned I would suggest you remain in the audience. At least that is how is was handled last year. On the S & R class ships they don't have the "Superstar" contest. They can have a passenger talent show if there are enough interested pax.

DH and I checked out the event on the Oosterdam and the Zaandam and agree it would not be for thin skinned folks. In May 2005 DH and I were on the NCL Spirit and I convinced him to enter the talent contest because he has such a wonderful singing voice. People had to audition two days before a show was scheduled in the main showroom (the afternoon before docking in Seattle). If you were a singer you had to provide music to be accompanied by the live band. Dancers, guitar players - a variety show really - was presented and the judges were people from the professional entertainment staff, the CD and one other person - I can't recall. It was far more exciting and entertaining that HAL's and there was a really good turnout for the show. DH ended up winning and he got a nice trophy and had comments from ships crew members and passengers the rest of the evening and next day. I tried to talk him into to doing the HAL thing but he said he would not go that route. Too bad that others miss out on a really entertaining treat!;)

Archived