Sovereign Review

Just a quick review of the Sovereign trip my wife and I took last weekend. I always enjoy reading these before I go and want to return the favor. We bounce back and forth between RCCL and Carnival and have been on 6 cruises to date. We were not even going to cruise this trip to Florida. We were going down to Orlando to see the mouse but got a last minute e-mail about rates and thought that $520 out the door for both of us was a good deal and wanted a little more sun before a long cold winter in Pittsburgh.

Got to the pier at about noon and got right on the ship. We parked at the pier. It was $36 for the 3 days. Room was not ready till 1 so we went to the WindJammer and had lunch. When we go to the room it was small. Had a guarantee inside and ended up on the 4th floor. We had some issues in the bathroom. Shower head blew off spraying water everywhere and the toilet had a mind of its own. When you tried to flush, sometimes it would immediately and sometimes it would 20 minutes later. It was really weird. We called the problem in and it was fixed quickly. The ship was nice, clean and the staff was very professional. I would say this is the biggest difference between RCCL and Carnival. I am always much more impressed with the service on RCCL. We didnt do any shows or even go to the main dining room. We were very laid back and just sat and stared at the ocean alot. The ship never seemed crowded and the other guests were fairly well behaved. Everyone seemed to have a good time. At Nassau we got off late in the day and went to Atlantis. This is the most incredible hotel I have seen. In my opinion it outdoes any Vegas hotel. One thing I learned on the boards that worked well was to go to Atlantis late and after the security guards leave. We were able to walk through the Dig for free and go to the beach, pools, etc with no problem. The next day in Coco Cay we just veged on the beach. Got to see a water spout, mini tornado on the ocean from the beach, that was cool. Had one thing happen on the way back to the ship on the tender. The lady in front of us had one too many coco locos and hurled over the side of the boat as we were getting back to the ship, twice. I guess from the screaming from the lower deck she had bad aim. Monday morning we were ready to get off and things went pretty smoothly. We were off the ship by 9. One note to all who cruise. Which part of don't congregate in the stairwells or lobby don't you understand. Just do what you are told and it will go better for everyone. Well, to sum it up we enjoyed ourselves and would do it again. The ship was very nice for being so old. The weather was beautiful and tomorrow in Pittsburgh the high temperature is going to be in the 40's, so I am ready to go again. Bon Voyage. Jeff

Glad to hear you had a good time and hope you still had time to visit the Mouse. We did Sovereign last year and also enjoyed it alot. You're right about the cabins....Sovereign and Majesty have the smallest cabins along those interior sideways corridors! Thanks for the review. BobK/Orlando

Aft,

We really did not get any great pics. I see you are new to the site. Take a look around, you should be able to find links to pics of coco cay.

Tiger,

We got there at about 5-6pm and walked wherever we wanted. Normally during the day there is a guard at the dig and I don't even think you can buy your way into the pool area. I think you have to be a guest. I think the Dig if you pay is around $25. In my opinion if you have never seen the Dig it is worth the price but free is my favorite.

Enjoy,

Jeff

Archived