Wrinkle Release

Stanley

I've read about Wrinkle Release on the boards a couple of times. Can anyone tell me if the stuff really works and what the actual name or brand is? It would be nice to have something to take out a few wrinkles out of shorts or shirts.

I spray things as I hang them, brush them a few times with your hands and hang things in closet leaving space between items. Most wrinkles will be gone. If not, respray and hang in bath room while you shower, brushing at wrinkles with hands a few times.

Always pack in zip lock. Whatever is in the stuff tends to make the top come upscrewed easily. :D

Love the stuff. Wouldn't leave home without it. I tried the Dollar General Brand and it works just as well and only cost $1.50 a bottle. We also put it into a smaller bottle which makes it easier to pack.

Okay, I hate to be the negative voice in all this but....

The smell of the stuff made me gag! I don't use perfumed laundry soap or fabric softner, so maybe I am just sensative. But yuck! I also didn't think it did all that great of a job taking out the wrinkles. Things looked smoother, but I still wound up ironing stuff.

I would advice buying it ahead of time and trying it at home!

Either way, have a great cruise!

I have mixed feelings about this product! If you spray heavily and "PULL" the fabric into place it works MUCH better than just spraying. Sometimes, however, it does nothing but "looks at you and says--hey howdy!" Don't depend on it!!

Downy Wrinkle Release works after you pull both sides of the article & the spread your hands like an iron over it. But the after smell is too femy for my DH. So $15 at Walkmart we bought a small steamer that works instantly with no salt!

Do the cruise lines allow steamers in staterooms if they don't allow travel irons? Is it the iron tipping over factor they're concerned about? Do the steamers automatically turn off if they tip over? Can anyone enlighten me??!!

I've discovered that water in a spray bottle works just as well. My daughter brought this to my attention, and from my experience, that's all it takes. No need to hunt for Downey, just bring along an empty spray bottle on your cruise.

Hope this helps.

Lu Ann in Central FL

Okay, I hate to be the negative voice in all this but....

The smell of the stuff made me gag! I don't use perfumed laundry soap or fabric softner, so maybe I am just sensative...

Another negative voice, here. Whether it works or doesn't, my allergies preclude me from using it and many other products such as Febreze, Cling free, etc because of the lingering chemical odor. Fortunately, my salbutamol puffer usually gets me through situations where I am too close to fabrics that are permeated with such products. There are times when the exposure is too great and the asthma takes over, though. I guess it's back to the 'ironing' board for me.:(

Just one more comment. Since we don't have allergies, I find the Downey Wrinkle Release very helpful on cruises. I just hang whatever outfit on the wall hook and spray lightly and evenly on both sides. It works for all of my outfits including cocktail dresses. I does dry faster than spraying water if it makes a difference. :) As I'm typing this I'm just realizing that I have never been smart enough to take the outfit out in the afternoon and doing this. I guess I've always thought it's much better to make a big production getting ready at night. :rolleyes:

I packed all my clothes and husbands in one garment bag and one medium size suitcase (plus two small carry-ons), the hanging outfits were all in dry cleaning bags and most of it came out wrinkle free. However, a couple of linen shirts and my husband's sport's jacket were a little wrinkled and we used the ship's ironings service...very reasonable and they did a beautiful job!

• 3 weeks later...

Having read about it on these boards, I brought it on my last cruise. IMHO, it was not lworth the weight of the bottle to bring it, as my clothes were not that wrinkled, in the first place. Of course, that was on Princess, where I knew I could find an iron, if I really needed one. I believe I read that X doesn't have irons?

It only works on "natural" fabrics, will not work on polyester , but then polyester does not wrinkle all that much. Unfortunately I wear a great deal of "man made fabric" ,I do have a steamer, but have never had to use it. Steamers do not burn like an iron so are much safer.

I like cotton dress shirts. They still look like a mediocre wash and wear shirt with wrinkle release. It may be good enough for something on casual night, but not for a coat and tie night.

Add in the weight, the scent and the potential for leakage...yes even in a heavy duty ziploc we've had leaks...it's just not worth the bother.

Regards

I packed all my blouses, tees and other tops in individual plastic cleaning bags and put tissue paper between the folds of my slacks and shorts. It was wonderful - no wrinkles, and I'm a nut about looking freshly pressed. Also, there was no chance of leakage and no added weight by carring bottles of liquid. Try it, I'm sure you'll like it.

The problem with taking regular irons is not the tipping over, but the high wattage of a regular iron. My 1600 watt travel dryer will blow the fuse in a ships cabin and regular irons are about that high. Travel irons are not that high in wattage, but they don't really get hot enough to iron anything. So, we take along our steamer, heat it up and steam anything that may need it as we unpack, then pack it away for the week. If you iron your clothing well and pack properly, you will have very little need for ironing. The wrinkle release will work okay if it is just for touchups, just as steaming in the bathroom. I'm another one who does not like the fragrance in the wrinkle spray, but I also do not like any artificial fragrance like that anyway.

You might try the Downey Wrinkle Release at home to see if you like it first, you can judge for yourself.

Archived