Government Passport Site Updated!

bajathree

........It is anticipated that on January 1, 2008, U.S. citizens traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), will be required to present a valid U.S. passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes may permit a later deadline, both the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to put all requirements in place by the original deadline. Advance notice will be provided to enable the public meet the land/sea border requirement......

Gov Passport Link to site for full UPDATED page:

Sounds like they are struggling to figure it out just like the rest of us.

Has anybody asked what happens if an emergency requires you to fly home from the middle of your cruise? Starting in 2007, the passport requirement will be in place for air travelers, but not for cruise passengers. If they enforce that to the letter, then you could be "stuck" on your cruise with no alternative to return home. What about the case where the ship breaks, such as with Grandeur in Costa Maya, or any of the infamous Celebrity pod problems? 2,000 people stuck with no way to return home?

Theron

Has anybody asked what happens if an emergency requires you to fly home from the middle of your cruise? Starting in 2007, the passport requirement will be in place for air travelers, but not for cruise passengers. If they enforce that to the letter, then you could be "stuck" on your cruise with no alternative to return home. What about the case where the ship breaks, such as with Grandeur in Costa Maya, or any of the infamous Celebrity pod problems? 2,000 people stuck with no way to return home?

Theron

Agreed:) I think we will see many more updates/changes....

If you look at the "Frequently Asked Questions about the New Travel Document Requirements (FAQs)" you will see it has not even been updated yet to match thier new info on the main page.

At this point, it doesn't matter what the government site says.

RCCL is still requiring passports:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/passportGuidelines.do;jsessionid=0000VHsg8RcQg2Iw0mgGhTIqdL2:10ktmf25f

Effective December 31, 2006 the U.S. Government's Intelligence Reform Bill requires passports for all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda. Don't risk disrupting your travel plans! If you are planning travel for 2007 or beyond, please take a minute to review the new regulations below. If you don't already have a valid passport, be sure to avoid the rush and give yourself plenty of time to apply for one. Once you've got a passport in hand, the whole world is yours to explore.

Royal Caribbean International is aware of the recent U.S. Government change in U.S. passport policy. We are presently reviewing the implications of that policy and possible effects it can have on our guests, should anyone of them need to depart the ship in a Caribbean, Mexican or South American port for any reason and be required to fly home without a passport.

Until that determination has been made, our requirement for a valid U.S. passport for anyone sailing with us and returning to the U.S. on or after January 8, 2007 remains in effect.

Thank you for your understanding and patience as we work through this issue.

Guests sailing in mid December 2006 whose itinerary transits or ends its voyage in the United States on or after December 31, 2006 will be required to present a valid passport during ship check-in formalities.

Guests sailing on or after December 31, 2006 will be required to present a valid passport during ship check-in formalities.

Guests not holding a valid passport should apply for one as soon as possible.

Guests holding ARC/Green Card are exempt.

U.S. Citizens

For information on obtaining or renewing a passport, visit the State Department's Website or if you so choose, contact the passport service of your choice, such as Passport Express Services where you can obtain information, forms and fees by visiting their website or calling 1.800. 858.8579.

Non-U.S. Citizens

You will need a valid passport and, in some cases, a visa. If you live in the U.S., you will also need the original copy of your Alien Registration Card (ARC or "Green Card") and any other documentation the countries on your itinerary require due to your alien status.

For all sailings ending on June 25, 2005, or later, citizens from the Visa Waiver Program countries will require a machine-readable passport valid for the duration of their voyage. These countries include

Royal Caribbean International is aware of the recent U.S. Government change in U.S. passport policy. We are presently reviewing the implications of that policy and possible effects it can have on our guests, should anyone of them need to depart the ship in a Caribbean, Mexican or South American port for any reason and be required to fly home without a passport.

Until that determination has been made, our requirement for a valid U.S. passport for anyone sailing with us and returning to the U.S. on or after January 8, 2007 remains in effect.

To borrow from one of those radio talk show guys... I think I need some duct tape to keep my brain from exploding! Everything would lead you to believe that this change was made because of the cruise lines complaining about lost business! And now that it's almost a done deal they're still going to require passports? I suspect they will get exceptions put in place to cover these circumstances.

It will have to actually happen before I believe that a cruise line would impose a stricter policy than the US Government requires.

Theron

To borrow from one of those radio talk show guys... I think I need some duct tape to keep my brain from exploding! Everything would lead you to believe that this change was made because of the cruise lines complaining about lost business! And now that it's almost a done deal they're still going to require passports? I suspect they will get exceptions put in place to cover these circumstances.

It will have to actually happen before I believe that a cruise line would impose a stricter policy than the US Government requires.

Theron

The cruise lines are free to require anything they want regardless of the gov't policy. It's no secret that the lines have been saying all year that they will require passports for travel after 1/8/07== my office has gotten numerous emails, faxes etc reminding us to make sure our clients have passports..

The really prudent thing for all international travelers is to get a passport. It provides a universally recognized proof of citizenship. You can never tell when some sort of emergency can crop up that might require you to make a return. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't difficult to get the passport, and now that I have it I don't have to worry about it again. Here on the border with Canada, we use our passport several times a year.

The cruise lines are free to require anything they want regardless of the gov't policy.

This is true:)

It's no secret that the lines have been saying all year that they will require passports for travel after 1/8/07== my office has gotten numerous emails, faxes etc reminding us to make sure our clients have passports..

That was before the Gov. extension. Do you really think that the cruise lines are going to enforce a passport issue when the Gov. has postponed it's deadline:rolleyes: That would just be a bad finacial decision. Let's face facts here. The reason the Gov. has postponed the deadline is because it is an election year. Do you really think then want to chance a slump in the travel/cruise industry. Why do you think gas prices have fallen:confused: While yes, we did not have a bad hurricane season this year that we were supposed to, the main reason once again is political;) The Saudi's are helping to give the Busch administration a nice boost....politics...it's always about politics and the bottom line. You really didn't think the gas fairy waved a magic wand ...did ya:eek:

The cruise lines are free to require anything they want regardless of the gov't policy. It's no secret that the lines have been saying all year that they will require passports for travel after 1/8/07== my office has gotten numerous emails, faxes etc reminding us to make sure our clients have passports..

... and my cruise confirmations I received recently reflect that passports are required for my sailings next year. :p

........It is anticipated that on January 1, 2008, U.S. citizens traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), will be required to present a valid U.S. passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes may permit a later deadline, both the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to put all requirements in place by the original deadline. Advance notice will be provided to enable the public meet the land/sea border requirement......

Gov Passport Link to site for full UPDATED page:

If you read the entire thing on the website it still is confusing and it sounds like the goverment is confused too. Does anyone even remember what the original deadline was because the goverment appears to want to get new requirements in place by then?:eek: Good thing this isn't a real emergency because I have no idea how Homeland Security would handle it! We have our passports because you never know what date they will actually ended up using!

Theron

The simplest solution is not to wait on the government but to take care of business yourself. Get your passport now and you won't have to worry about what the government does or doesn't do.

Why anyone would wait for the feds or expect the feds to help them out is beyond me. They have an exceptionally poor track record for citizens.

Everything would lead you to believe that this change was made because of the cruise lines complaining about lost business! And now that it's almost a done deal they're still going to require passports? I suspect they will get exceptions put in place to cover these circumstances.

For some strange reason the cruise lines have been given credit for being the prime movers behind the implementation change date. Not true ~ the major power brokers have been the governments of Canada and Mexico

In a televised joint press conference was held several months ago by the Prime Minister of Canada and President Bush, a major topic was the flow of commerce and people over the borders. President Bush vowed he would pressure Congress to delay the passport implementation date until an easier less costly alternative to passports was developed.

Certainly the cruise industry has, as well it should, stated its views and has monitoring the situation. But, we suspect, the sea crossing provision was included more for the flow of goods and people by boat between the US and Canada than for the cruise passengers. The cruise industry has long been prompting passengers, for 2007 voyages, to get passports.

Royal Caribbean has not yet adopted the new passport guidelines. Please read their website link below.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/passportGuidelines.do

• Guests sailing in mid December 2006 whose itinerary transits or ends its voyage in the United States on or after December 31, 2006 will be required to present a valid passport during ship check-in formalities.

• Guests sailing on or after December 31, 2006 will be required to present a valid passport during ship check-in formalities.

• Guests not holding a valid passport should apply for one as soon as possible.

• Guests holding ARC/Green Card are exempt.

For some strange reason the cruise lines have been given credit for being the prime movers behind the implementation change date. Not true ~ the major power brokers have been the governments of Canada and Mexico.

I think the Cruise lobby people are very good at PR... :D

Theron

Theron

Or a person could just get a passport and not worry about any of it:)

I will interested to see what RCI does here. Last year they were a major force in getting the deadline delayed. I would be surprised if they don't change their policy. IMHO I wish that they would keep the current policy in place. Folks should have a passport by now. If not then they need to get one.

They do have a very valid concern here. Not only would there be issues if guests need to fly home due to an emergency, but what if they simply miss the ship at the last port of call and just need to get home? I think the cruiselines may have thought that the government would extend the air deadline as well.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through my second passport... I just find this whole issue interesting. There will always be people who do as little as they can get by with. It fascinates me to watch the process.

Theron

I'm about 1/3 of the way through my second passport... I just find this whole issue interesting. There will always be people who do as little as they can get by with. It fascinates me to watch the process.

Theron

I for one do have my passport, think that is the best choice and encourage other to do the same:) However do you blame people for not, when the Gov can't even make up there own minds:rolleyes:

Theron

I hadn't thought of that little twist...thanks for pointing it out! :)

Who else thinks this is the MOST RETARDED THING EVER! Someone just needs to make up their mind and say...yes you need a passport, or no, we're waiting.

Enough of this middle ground already.

Who else thinks this is the MOST RETARDED THING EVER! Someone just needs to make up their mind and say...yes you need a passport, or no, we're waiting.

Enough of this middle ground already.

Agreed. However, is there anything that moves slower than the wheels of government...especially when the State Department is involved???

I'd agree that the cruise ship industry is probably not a major force here. Cruisers are still a small percentage of travellers, and I'd think most people who spend money to cruise (and/or fly) can afford passports.

If Canadian and Mexican tourism industries are worried, it's probably more about the large numbers of people who drive across the borders for shopping and entertainment. The less expensive/more convenient Pass Card being proposed would probably work better for them and it might make sense to delay the passport date until this alternative is in place.

WOW! Had to share this with all of you. I just got a call from my friend who applied for her passport on September 16th and it came in the mail today! Less than one month turnaround time! It's hard to say how the times for the rest of the year will be affected by the mess of guideline times.

Archived