Info on Belize please

jmss1950

We are doing the 8 day Legend cruise 12/18/06 and I have read some information that the ship is anchored about 4 miles from shore and that the tendering takes quite a while. As we hope to do some shore excusrions, can anyone give me some real idea of how long the tendering takes and does anyone have any recommendations for shore excusions to get a real "feel" for Belize.:)

The ship does anchor quite a ways off shore. The tender boats do move at a pretty good clip. I would not recommend sitting near the exit doors unless you want to get wet. Once the boat got going I would say the ride takes about 10-15 minutes.

When you observe, as I did, that some of those tenders have three 300 hp outboard engines, 'ya know that it ain't gonna take long to get to the dock! Most popular tours in Belize are the cave tubing or one of the reef snorkeling trips.

We are doing the 8 day Legend cruise 12/18/06 and I have read some information that the ship is anchored about 4 miles from shore and that the tendering takes quite a while. As we hope to do some shore excusrions, can anyone give me some real idea of how long the tendering takes and does anyone have any recommendations for shore excusions to get a real "feel" for Belize.:)
the city is very poor.....the pits.....but cave tubing is awesome.....I HIGHLY recommend Yhony at cave-tubing.com.........1 hour bus ride, rainforest trail hike and float in tubes back down the river through the caves.........it's AWESOME. Yhony has a great reputation and does more caves for half the price of the Line sponsored excursions!!

jms1950 - we did Belize from the Elation 2 years ago. The tender only takes about 15-20 minutes after you get under way. We did the excursion that goes up the river (starts with a W?) and then on the the Altun Ha ruins. It was a great trip! Saw lots of wildlife and got up real close and personal with the manatees complete with pictures to prove it!

It takes about 15 minutes, and it can be a wild ride if the waves are up. It was really rocking at the dock when we were there, and it took a couple of tries before the pilot got to the dock. Even then, I had to literally hop off the boat; it was like jumping off a trotting horse. In calmer seas I am sure it is easy.

I just returned off the Carnival Miracle, and our tender ride took only 10-15 minutes on the water, but the kicker when budgeting your time is the whole tender process, which can take up to an hour to get off the boat.

Much of it depends on whether or not you book through the cruise line, as those that do get first shot at the tenders. However, if you state your case to those in charge of tenders, they will usually slide you in.

So all in all, getting in line, getting on board, and getting to shore can take between 30 - 60 minutes, but all the excursion people know this and they take this into account.

My wife and I booked zip lining and cave tubing with Nacho and Cynthia and were treated to a wonderful experience. Very professional, very informative, and very comfortable. Time with Nacho is like hanging out with your crazy uncle :)

We felt we were able to truly experience Belize, its people, and its culture.

Good Luck!

:) Thank you for all the helpful information and advice. How safe is it to walk through the town to the flea market? Will a polite "no thank you" be enough discouragement as we would really like to get the atmosphere and feel of the place?

Thanks again.

Archived