QE2 & Security Issues

bobby1119

Could anyone who has been on the QE2 recently (after the failed London-New York plane bombing incident) tell me if any liquids such as shampoos, hair gel, etc. are being restricted? I am in the final phase of getting ready for the world cruise and the toiletries include 3 month supplies of many of these kinds of items. It reminds me of getting ready for college all over again!

Any feedback on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Bobby

The restriction even on planes is for handcarried only. You can check through anything(we just checked two liters of Olive oil)...There is no similar restrictions on ships. The no alcohol rule is not a governmental one(on some lines).

I am in the final phase of getting ready for the world cruise and the toiletries include 3 month supplies of many of these kinds of items.

Bobby119,

How l envy you!! 3 month onboard, will be interested to learn how you prepare for such a journey, and the luggage! Im off on QE2 in 2 weeks, and have been told by various people l pack enough for 2 people, indeed a lady friend who did a world cruise on QE2 a few years back took less than what l take on a 3 week cruise.The cruise in 2004 l had roughly 90kgs of luggage,and thats only in steerage;) no wonder l dont do a fly cruise.

Just think if you travelled up top;) , you would have a band of little followers to do everything for you, rather takes the fun out of cruising?

You might find the shop on 2 deck has a good supply of toiletries , lm happy to use the onboard shampoo etc.

Off in 2 weeks and about to get into the packing routine, will be happy to check out what items they have onboard ?

Cheers

Myles

Bobby119,

How l envy you!! 3 month onboard, will be interested to learn how you prepare for such a journey, and the luggage!

Myles, Your're the best! Thank you so much. I can feel your excitement as your milestone cruise gets closer. Check email.

Bobby

Bobby, I can understand your concern with shampoo, but I am concerned with clothes? What do you take for a cruise of that length? I am thinking about 77 days on QE2 World for 2008 and the mind boggles. Formal nights? How many? - I am not good at packing dresses in general, let alone formals.....

durangoscots

Bobby, I can understand your concern with shampoo, but I am concerned with clothes? What do you take for a cruise of that length? I am thinking about 77 days on QE2 World for 2008 and the mind boggles. Formal nights? How many? - I am not good at packing dresses in general, let alone formals.....

durangoscots

You said it correctly... it does boggle the mind. I have one entire bedroom, including a double closet, dedicated as the "war room." I started setting stuff aside last winter and have been buying things to fill in my wardrobe. I also have books, electronics (cameras, i-pod speakers, video camera, etc) toiletries, shirts, ties, jackets...you name it, it's there. I did a very rough trial packing in August to see if I needed to buy more luggage. So far, it will be six and then some garment bags and carry-ons. No exaggeration, it is one of the most overwhelming tasks I have ever had to face!

Advice: Just start early. When you think of something, write it down or physically set it aside. It all does start coming together. I now have inventoried everything and put it in an excel spreadsheet. Keep in mind that you will want nice dressy clothes for the informal evenings and then nice formal wear for for formal nights. QE2 is a dressy ship. Even casual nights are dressy - think country club casual. The daytime wear is resort casual. As most of the cruise is warm weather, think shorts, bathing suits, t-shirts, flip flops, etc. I have been told to pack for 3 weeks and turn it all over every three weeks. If this helps, for my 108 nights I have 2 black tuxes, an off white dinner jacket, 3 sport jackets, a madras blazer, a navy blazer, a black suit, a navy suit and a beige linen suit. Just writing about it I get overwhelmed!! Hang in there. When you feel overwhelmed, just remember, "The Queen awaits"!

Good luck.

There are no restrictions on what you can take aboard. This information is current as of 13 October 2006 in Southampton.

Well, I'm sure that there are restrictions - I can't believe you'd be allowed to take on a couple of kilos of brown, but you know what I mean!

Well, I'm sure that there are restrictions - I can't believe you'd be allowed to take on a couple of kilos of brown, but you know what I mean!

...Unless you're in a QG suite... then the butler carries it on for you! Couldn't resist. Seriously, kindlychap, thanks for the information about restrictions. Enjoy your upcoming voyages.

Why on earth would you want to take your own sugar?:confused: ;)

You know, Malcolm, I didn't want to admit I wasn't sure what was meant by "brown" I was thinking corduroy, persoanlly, which seems to be ubiquitous in brown. I thought maybe it was another forbidden fabric like the dreaded denim substance! <G>

Karie,

Who is naive and innocent! (RTOFLMAO!)

Innocent my foot! :D

KC, No one has mentioned your foot.

Or your inch...er, wait, that didn't come out right..Or your meter, is what I meant to say. Or metre, as it were.

Well, let me just say that most of me is quite innocent and other parts are most guilty (at my age primarily the appetite, but in my youth,....)

Karie,

who is not used to the whole metric thing and doesn't understand how much a kilo of brown weighs, and how many kilos one would need to sweeten one's tea! <G>

Karie,

who is not used to the whole metric thing and doesn't understand how much a kilo of brown weighs, and how many kilos one would need to sweeten one's tea! <G>

A kilo weighs a kilo! Nice and easy!

(or 2.2lbs approximately. Assuming your pounds are the same as ours. I know our gallons are bigger and better, so they might not be!)

Bobby:

I fear that by the time I meet you - during QE2's WB crossing in April - you'll be worn out from a long journey and ready to get ashore !!

Seriously, it's fun evesdropping on your pre-World Cruise preparations. I do look forward to meeting you and hearing stories from the circumnavigation !!

Check in with us on the "January 2007 & April 2007 QE2 Atlantic Crossings" thread from time to time during the WC. I know that we'll be organizing a CC meeting !!

Best wishes

Tom

A kilo weighs a kilo! Nice and easy!

(or 2.2lbs approximately. Assuming your pounds are the same as ours. I know our gallons are bigger and better, so they might not be!)

Depends: Troy or Avoirdupois. Troy is 12 oz to a pound and Avoirdupois hs 12. Don't you remember the old joke about which weighs more a pund of feathers or a pound of lead. (I think it was lead) Feathers would normally be in avoirdupois where lead under certain circumstances was troy weight. Hence, feathers would actually weigh more!

(Now what the heck is BROWN?)

Karie,

Who is exhausted and now needs to recline on her chaise

Charles, Please bring me some caviar and a glass of bubbly!

(Don't tell Marc, who just brought me a freshly made mojito and I have some Carr's rosemary water crackers and maple infused butter sitting next to me!)

Bobby:

I fear that by the time I meet you - during QE2's WB crossing in April - you'll be worn out from a long journey and ready to get ashore !!

Seriously, it's fun evesdropping on your pre-World Cruise preparations. I do look forward to meeting you and hearing stories from the circumnavigation !!

Check in with us on the "January 2007 & April 2007 QE2 Atlantic Crossings" thread from time to time during the WC. I know that we'll be organizing a CC meeting !!

Best wishes

Tom

I am glad you find my posts about my world cruise preparations fun to read. A spare bedroom filled with clothing, books, electronics, toiletries, footwear, outwear is not so much fun to look at sometimes! A bit daunting. Then there's the paperwork of visas, financial arrangements while I am away. As I am retiring on December 22 and boarding 2 weeks later, I think I will be collapsed in a deck chair until Honolulu at least. LOL.

Seriously, I am so glad I discovered these boards earlier this year, and I am looking forward to meeting you and others on the April crossing and on the world cruise/segments. I am just not sure how the "meeting" happens. Keep me informed, and all the best to you.

Bobby

Archived