HEADACH from wine in spain

On one board I read that wine in Spain will not give you a headach due to the lack of histimines or sulfates in their wine. Is this true or is it still the amount of wine that gives you a headach?? I am leaving the 24th of Oct. thanks

On one board I read that wine in Spain will not give you a headach due to the lack of histimines or sulfates in their wine. Is this true or is it still the amount of wine that gives you a headach?? I am leaving the 24th of Oct. thanks

From all I have learned about wines..red/white..Spanish/Italian/French etc. it is ALL about the amount of wine you drink....:D .It was always said that wine you buy in Europe does not give you a headache,but wines you drink here in the US do because of the sulfates in the wine...not true...so go for any wine you want to drink,but if you don't want that headache just watch the amount,and above all enjoy the wine.

If you are prone to migraine headaches, stay away from red wines...all red wines! It is a proven trigger for migraine. I have had migraines for 40 years, though they are mostly controlled now with the new drugs available. Prior to these drugs, my life was very difficult. Most of my migraines are triggered by food. Not all migraines are triggered by food, however. Red wine is one of the biggest culprits.

It is not the alcohol content that triggers the headache, so fill yourself with the wonderful white wines produced all over Europe. :D

Red wines are red because of a group of chemicals, called phenolic flavanoids, which are leached out of the skins and pips of the grapes into the wine during fermentation. White wines, which have the skins and pips strained out before fermentation, have only about a twentieth as much of these chemicals as do reds. Exactly how the phenolic flavanoids would produce a migraine headache has not yet been fully explained, though it is known that people whose migraines seem to be related to their diets often have a deficiency in an enzyme that helps inactivate phenols.

My DH who is not normally a big drinker, would get a headache after wine (even 1 glass) in the US. He spent 2 weeks in Florence and drank a bottle of wine every nite (both red & white) and never got a headache. It was local; they'd refill bottles from a cask at the local wine grower. There were no sulfates. He swears that is what gives him headaches. He said he felt 'good' every nite AND felt great the next morning. His BIL wrote a book about wine and said that red wines have more sulfates than white becuz they spoil faster.

Archived