Question for Divers - does the PG offer Nitrox air fills? (thread below didn't post)

Leejnd4

I'll try this again:

For all you divers: I'm going to be on the PG for the Dec. 2 11-day cruise, and i plan on doing a lot of diving. I'm currently in the middle of my Advanced Open Water course, so I'll be finished with that certification before I go. My instructor has suggested that I get Nitrox certified as well. Does anyone know if the PG offers Nitrox fills on board? If not, then it wouldn't be worth it to scramble to get Nitrox certified before I leave...I'll do it when I get back.

Thanks!

LeeAnne - I just spoke with my brother. He does not recall Nitrox fills onboard the PG, but he won't swear to it.

He said the PG divemaster and assistants were great. The dive at Bora Bora was "utterly fantastic."

He did some 70 ft. dives but said the swallower ones were more enjoyable (he had a little anxiety about being that deep).

Apparently you can arrange dives through local island diving companies but my brother said he was more than satisfied with the onboard opportunities.

I hope that helps.

Scott

Thanks Scott. I'm still debating whether or not to go forward with the Nitrox certification. I'm trying to gather more information about the diving possibilities on the PG. I've heard fantastic things about the dive crew, especially in terms of the convenience factor. My only concern is that the dives are rather expensive for what you get...it's $80 for a one-tank dive. Usually if I go out on a dive boat I get in at least 2 or 3 tanks, for about the same price. I may do some diving with local dive shops in order to get a few more dives in. (Hey, who knows whether I'll ever get back to the South Pacific, so I want to get in as much bottom time as possible!) Can you ask your brother what dive shops he worked with, and what he disliked about them?

My deepest dive so far is 76 ft, but we're planning on some deep dives (100 ft) with our class in the upcoming weeks.

Oh...one more question you can ask him (if you don't mind peppering him with questions for me!), did he do any of the dives in Rangiroa? I'm particularly interested in the Tiputa Pass dive, but I've heard varying opinions about it.

Thanks!

We were on the PG and my husband did a number of dives with the PG staff. Nitrox was not offered and we went on August 23rd. There are a number of private dive shops that offer it. My husband did a couple dives with Top Dive in Moorea and they offer it. They were terrific and actually are right at the dock as you tender in. I think their price was $65 for a one tank dive. There isn't a huge difference in price compared to the PG. The convenience of diving with the ship crew and just taking the small boats off the back of the boat was worth it for my husband. His favorite dives were in Moorea and Rangiroa. He didn't do the pass dive, but did one close to it. The current in the pass is quite strong and you have to be a very experienced diver to do that dive. He did the dive that led to the pass though. There was a private company out of Rangiroa that some passengers used and they were very happy with them. You might want to do a search and see if there are any companies that offer Nitrox in Rangiroa. THAT is the place to dive! Bora Bora was a disappointment for my husband in the dive dept. I hope this helps. Have a blast! You won't be disappointed in the FP. It is an amazing destination that we hope to visit again in the near future.

Archived