what happened to Ny cruises in 2008

glen tev

Ok i know the Dawn is going south and the Spirit is going to New orleans.The Gem is coming to Ny but is the Bahamas going to be it?I'm doing a 10 day on the Dawn in march 07 and depending how that goes i wanted to try the Gem.So far all i see for a 10 day is 1 cruise in Feb 08.Nothing in March or April.I can't believe that there going to send two of there most popular ships south to replace it with 1 and thats all there going to offer?What a bummer.I thought Norwegian was going in the right direction in the Ny market but it looks like there taking a few steps back.I don't know why they don't do the same as they've been doing with the Dawn-alternat 7,10 and 11 day cruises.Anyone have any more info on this i'd like to hear it.

I thought I saw the Gem sailings through April. I could be wrong but it looked like it was the same as what the Dawn now does. I do not think that there is anything advertised beyond April 2008 for any ship.

I did a search on another cruise line yesterday and the latest I could find was April 2008, same as NCL.

I am interested in Summer 2008 out of NYC or Boston. I guess I need to wait until early 2007 to see what NCL decides to do.

Yeah that's my reaction.I've done RCCL out of Bayonne twice and the Wow factor of the Voyager class has worn off,so were trying the Dawn which from what i've heard from Freinds should be a better fit for us.Carnival is bringing the Miracle back to ny which we did in 04.I think that intinerarie is pretty lame.There the same way ,with all the ships they have they have 1 in NY for caribbean sailings.So if Ncl doesn't offer anything else it's either Princess out of Red hook or back to Rccl In Jersey(which i'm not to crazy about after our last experience)or start flying to Florida.I was hoping Ncl would have been a good fit for us but i'm not all that crazy about the Bahamas.If i want to go to Port Canaveral and disney i can flt southwest for $200 from Albany.So let's all keep our fingers crossed that they add more stops allong the way.Shoreguy if your out there i would love to here your opinion please.

Presently, NCL sails the Norwegian Spirit and Norwegian Dawn year round from New York. They also sail the Norwegian Crown from New York during the summer. Well, the Norwegian Crown is leaving the fleet after the 2007 summer season. That's one less ship available for sailing from New York. The Norwegian Wind leaves next spring, being replaced by the Norwegain Sun the following fall. So, whatever the Norwegian Sun was doing, another ship has to assume its itinerary. During the summer, that's not necessary because the Norwegian Sun will probably repo to Alaska from Hawaii. But during the winter, the Norwegian Spirit is repositioned from New York to New Orleans. So, there's two less ships available for sailing from New York during the winter. Also, the Norwegian Dawn will repo to Miami when it's replaced by the Norwegian Gem for year round sailings from New York.

But that doesn't mean either the Norwegian Dawn or the Norwegian Spirit can't repo back to New York for summer sailings. It's just that NCL hasn't published any 2008 summer cruises yet. I don't expect NCL will publish the 2008 summer itineraries until late this summer. I wouldn't be surprised to see either or both return to New York that summer.

Yeah that's my reaction.I've done RCCL out of Bayonne twice and the Wow factor of the Voyager class has worn off,so were trying the Dawn which from what i've heard from Freinds should be a better fit for us.Carnival is bringing the Miracle back to ny which we did in 04.I think that intinerarie is pretty lame.There the same way ,with all the ships they have they have 1 in NY for caribbean sailings.So if Ncl doesn't offer anything else it's either Princess out of Red hook or back to Rccl In Jersey(which i'm not to crazy about after our last experience)or start flying to Florida.I was hoping Ncl would have been a good fit for us but i'm not all that crazy about the Bahamas.If i want to go to Port Canaveral and disney i can flt southwest for $200 from Albany.So let's all keep our fingers crossed that they add more stops allong the way.Shoreguy if your out there i would love to here your opinion please.

I have been on the Dawn 3 times. My first time was the 7 night itinerary - which I really disliked. The second time when I did the 10 day - I fell in love with the Dawn. For me it is the ship and itinerary. I really wanted the Gem to do a 10 day for either School break in Feb or April, but only doing 7 day. I hope NCL finds another option. I have been on the Carnival Miracle and I really enjoyed it, when will it be in NY?

The Miracle will be taking over the Legend's NYC itineraries in April, 2007.

It is not coming up on the Carnival website or any other webiste. I am booked on the Freedom 4/19/08 but would prefer to go out of NYC if it is a good itinerary. I was hoping NCL would have something, but it only has the 7 night.

I think it is too early to go by itineraries for 2008. Things will change in the next few months. We have Explorer of the Seas out of Cape Liberty booked for 12 nights Feb 3, 2008. When NCL comes out with their schedules, we may rebook. We love NCL but will go with Explorer if nothing better comes along. We'll do Bahama cruises when we are in Florida. No need to do them from NYC.

I think it is too early to go by itineraries for 2008. Things will change in the next few months. We have Explorer of the Seas out of Cape Liberty booked for 12 nights Feb 3, 2008. When NCL comes out with their schedules, we may rebook. We love NCL but will go with Explorer if nothing better comes along. We'll do Bahama cruises when we are in Florida. No need to do them from NYC.

I agree with re: Bahama cruises. I am booked with Carnival ( their new ship the Freedom) and will wait til NCL decides what they are doing with sailings out of NYC for April.

As much as most of us don't like it I expect the Gem as the only NCL ship in NYC to keep the published itineraries. The Fl stops have changed but is exactly what the Dawn did the first winter in NYC. They started 7 day cruises with President's week.

The fact is in my view they get more turns of the ship and almost as much revenue pp on 7 day cruises with a much lower cost. There is believe it or not a bigger market for 7 day cruises then 10/11 day. It is in the end a business decision.

That is the reason I booked the last 10 day the first week in Feb. just like I did for the Dawn in 2004. I like many of you have no desire to cruise to Fl again but millions do ;)

As much as most of us don't like it I expect the Gem as the only NCL ship in NYC to keep the published itineraries. The Fl stops have changed but is exactly what the Dawn did the first winter in NYC. They started 7 day cruises with President's week.

The fact is in my view they get more turns of the ship and almost as much revenue pp on 7 day cruises with a much lower cost. There is believe it or not a bigger market for 7 day cruises then 10/11 day. It is in the end a business decision.

That is the reason I booked the last 10 day the first week in Feb. just like I did for the Dawn in 2004. I like many of you have no desire to cruise to Fl again but millions do ;)

I was so disappointed to see that 2/6 was the last 10 day - I just wanted them to extend it for Presidents week -10 day. So you feel even in April of 2008 there will not be a 10 day out of NYC? I have no interest in doing the 7 day itinerary from NYC again ( no matter what ship they place on that itinerary). That is why I picked the Spirit in August 2007 over the Dawn. The Dawn I love more , but the Spirit I feel has a better itinerary.

• 1 month later...
So where will the Gem be cruising from for President's week 2008?

Which is President's week?

Gem's 10 day itinerary starting February 6.

Wed Feb 6 New York (Manhattan), NY 4:00pm

Thu Feb 7 At Sea

Fri Feb 8 At Sea

Sat Feb 9 St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 11:00am 6:00pm

Sun Feb 10 Antigua 8:00am 5:00pm

Mon Feb 11 Barbados 9:00am 4:00pm

Tue Feb 12 St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles 11:00am 6:00pm

Wed Feb 13 Tortola, British V.I. 7:00am 1:00pm

Thu Feb 14 At Sea

Fri Feb 15 At Sea

Sat Feb 16 New York (Manhattan), NY 8:00am

Gem's 7 day itinerary starting February 16.

Sat Feb 16 New York (Manhattan), NY 4:00pm

Sun Feb 17 At Sea

Mon Feb 18 Port Canaveral, FL 10:00am 9:00pm

Tue Feb 19 Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas 9:00am 4:00pm

Wed Feb 20 Key West, FL 9:00am 6:00pm

Thu Feb 21 At Sea

Fri Feb 22 At Sea

Sat Feb 23 New York (Manhattan), NY 10:00am

Ugh- Florida route for Presidents week (2/16)- looks like I may have to go on Royal Carribean

I wonder where RCI is going on President's week? Explorer of the Seas 7 day itinerary:

Fri Feb 15 Bayonne, NJ 5:00pm

Sat Feb 16 At Sea

Sun Feb 17 At Sea

Mon Feb 18 Labadee, Haiti 8:00am 4:00pm

Tue Feb 19 Casa de Campo, Dominican Republic 11:00am 6:00pm

Wed Feb 20 St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 9:00am 6:00pm

Thu Feb 21 San Juan, Puerto Rico 7:00am 2:00pm

Fri Feb 22 At Sea

Sat Feb 23 At Sea

Sun Feb 24 Bayonne, NJ 8:00am

With the Crown leaving NCL, New York needs a similar sized ship that can dock easily in Bermuda. It appears that Celebrity has recognized this need and obtained one of the former Renaissance "R" ships to do weekly cruises to Bermuda from Bayonne beginning in May 2007. It will be called the Celebrity Journey and feature many balcony cabins (unlike current Zenith & Horizon) and only 718 passengers. Hope NCL follows suit and makes a similar acquisition.

With the Crown leaving NCL, New York needs a similar sized ship that can dock easily in Bermuda. It appears that Celebrity has recognized this need and obtained one of the former Renaissance "R" ships to do weekly cruises to Bermuda from Bayonne beginning in May 2007. It will be called the Celebrity Journey and feature many balcony cabins (unlike current Zenith & Horizon) and only 718 passengers. Hope NCL follows suit and makes a similar acquisition.

Don't forget, Princess has also bought three Renaissance "R" class ships.

The last one will be apart of the "Dual" christenings taking place in Greece in 2007.

Two of which are sailing from or to Tahiti. I wonder what they plan to do with the third?

Since it will start with Mediterranean cruises, couldn't it eventually end up in New York?

Ugh- Florida route for Presidents week (2/16)- looks like I may have to go on Royal Carribean

EXACTLY MY SAME THOUGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WOULD HAVE LOVED A 10 DAY PRESIDENTS WEEK OR EVEN SPRING BREAK FOR THE GEM- My opinion bad decision on NCL part- But Shoreguy said they make more money turning the ship .

Great move by X. Perfect upscale ship for Bermuda. Took a quick look the cheapest off season inside cabin starts at over $1000 per person and balcony at $1500 pp.

High season (june-aug) inside 1700-2100 pp balcony 2200-2700 pp :eek:

celebrity_journey_thumb.jpg

Great move by X. Perfect upscale ship for Bermuda. Took a quick look the cheapest off season inside cabin starts at over $1000 per person and balcony at $1500 pp.

High season (june-aug) inside 1700-2100 pp balcony 2200-2700 pp :eek:

celebrity_journey_thumb.jpg

The Renaissance "R" class ships are modern, small cruise ships that have attracted the interests of the major cruise lines. Princess will have three, Celebrity one. As I posted earlier this year, their lengths of 594 feet are perfect to fit into St. George's harbor in Bermuda. St. George's harbor limits ship lengths to 700 feet, or less.

Here's the statistics on these ships:

Tonnage 30,200 tons

Length 594 feet Beam 84 feet Passenger Capacity 688 Crew Size 373 Total Inside Cabins 27 Total Outside Cabins 317 Cabins & Suites w/ verandas 232 Suites 62

They are loaded with verandas and suites, but lack significant numbers of insides for those on a tight budget. They also have more suites than the Spirit and the Pride of Aloha combined. Surprisingly, not every outside cabin has a veranda.

They are all smaller than the Crown. If you thought the Crown was too small to do Freestyle properly, these will also bee too small to do Freestyle.

We did the Dawn last December, will be on the Spirit this December, and just booked the Holland America Noordam, for December of 07. I really wanted to stick with NCL, but they don't have a cruise, leaving from New York the first two weeks of December,which is the only time we are able to go. We prefer 10 days or longer, and love leaving from New York. I guess it good to try different lines, but we were just so satisfied with NCL. Janice

The Renaissance "R" class ships are modern, small cruise ships that have attracted the interests of the major cruise lines. Princess will have three, Celebrity one. As I posted earlier this year, their lengths of 594 feet are perfect to fit into St. George's harbor in Bermuda. St. George's harbor limits ship lengths to 700 feet, or less.

Here's the statistics on these ships:

Tonnage 30,200 tons

Length 594 feet Beam 84 feet Passenger Capacity 688 Crew Size 373 Total Inside Cabins 27 Total Outside Cabins 317 Cabins & Suites w/ verandas 232 Suites 62

They are loaded with verandas and suites, but lack significant numbers of insides for those on a tight budget. They also have more suites than the Spirit and the Pride of Aloha combined. Surprisingly, not every outside cabin has a veranda.

They are all smaller than the Crown. If you thought the Crown was too small to do Freestyle properly, these will also bee too small to do Freestyle.

Oceania has 3 of these ships and they have open dining and they have no problem:) "Freestyle" on an upper Premium line;)

I wonder where RCI is going on President's week? Explorer of the Seas 7 day itinerary:

Fri Feb 15 Bayonne, NJ 5:00pm

Sat Feb 16 At Sea

Sun Feb 17 At Sea

Mon Feb 18 Labadee, Haiti 8:00am 4:00pm

Tue Feb 19 Casa de Campo, Dominican Republic 11:00am 6:00pm

Wed Feb 20 St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 9:00am 6:00pm

Thu Feb 21 San Juan, Puerto Rico 7:00am 2:00pm

Fri Feb 22 At Sea

Sat Feb 23 At Sea

Sun Feb 24 Bayonne, NJ 8:00am

Yup- this may be the one but it's pricey. I might check out HAL Noordam. Looks like they might have a nice itinerary in 2008.

Caribbean/Bahamas 11 Days • Holland America Lines • MS Noordam

Day Date Port Arrive Depart

1 Sat, Feb 17 New York City 4:45 P

2 Sun, Feb 18 At Sea

3 Mon, Feb 19 At Sea

4 Tue, Feb 20 Road Town 3:00 P 11:00 P

5 Wed, Feb 21 Saint Thomas 7:00 A 5:00 P

6 Thu, Feb 22 Roseau 7:00 A 6:00 P

7 Fri, Feb 23 Barbados/Bridgetown 7:00 A 5:00 P

8 Sat, Feb 24 Philipsburg/St. Maarten 11:00 A 7:00 P

9 Sun, Feb 25 San Juan/Puerto Rico 7:00 A 1:00 P

10 Mon, Feb 26 At Sea

11 Tue, Feb 27 At Sea

12 Wed, Feb 28 New York City 8:00 A

Balcony $1200.00 for President's week 2007....

Archived