Leaving early During Shows???

geofg

I'm just curious as to how other feel about leaving a show early while at sea. After paying VERY good money on my vacation and being more that let down by certain shows on my cruise, I walked out. I was sitting in the upper balcony with my girlfriend, and found the show to be quite boring. Very quietly we excused ourselves and continued on with the rest of our evening. Others around us did the same thing. As a paying customer I feel I have the right to stay or leave. Am I wrong on this, because I caught some slack from a fellow board member?

I'm just curious as to how other feel about leaving a show early while at sea. After paying VERY good money on my vacation and being more that let down by certain shows on my cruise, I walked out. I was sitting in the upper balcony with my girlfriend, and found the show to be quite boring. Very quietly we excused ourselves and continued on with the rest of our evening. Others around us did the same thing. As a paying customer I feel I have the right to stay or leave. Am I wrong on this, because I caught some slack from a fellow board member?

I just wouldn't leave if I was in the first few rows... other than that it's fair game...

I can't imagine why anybody would be upset with you for leaving a show. That's just downright ridiculous. Why would anybody care if you left? If the show didn't interest you, then by all means, you should go out and find something that would better serve your time on board.

I think an exception to that would be if you (anyone) jumped up, yelled about how bad the show was, y'know, made a scene.......BUT quietly leaving shouldn't upset anybody.

I've always enjoyed the production shows - but don't care for the others - comedians, magicians, etc., so I don't go to them. That's my perogative, just as it's yours to leave if you choose. Shouldn't be a big deal.:rolleyes:

We also have left shows early if there was no interest or didn't like the show. No one should be offended. Like an early poster said, what if you went to the bathroom? Don't worry or stress over it, it's your vacation. Cathy

As long as you are respectful about it and not overly disruptive - what is the big deal??? Why should you have to sit through something that does not interest you when there are better things you could be doing??

You did nothing wrong and please don't let people make you think otherwise :) .

You did nothing wrong. You paid good money for a vacation and you can choose which parts of it you want to participate in. Great thing about this country, we can make choices like that. Why in the world would someone be expected to waste a single minute of their time on a cruise doing something they didn't want to do? If someone gets up and leaves Bingo because they are not winning, is that rude? If someone leaves the disco before 4am is that rude? I mean come on... it's ridiculous for anyone to expect you to sit through a show you think is either offensive or boring. I left the comedy show twice (to go get more drinks...) as did MANY MANY MANY others. There is absolutely, positively nothing rude with what you did... you made a quiet exit so you could go and enjoy the rest of the cruise YOU paid for.... Some people just feel like they MUST find something to gripe about and you were the target of the day... sorry about that.

On my first cruise I got sea sick after drinking a glass of free champagne we were given after getting our portrait taken. We were in the gulf-it was a sea day returning back to Tampa. I had been fine all day with the dramamine, only slightly queezy, until after I drank the glass of champagne-right after that we went into the lounge for the show. Tens minutes into the show I got really sick. We returned to our room and I threw up. Thank goodness I had the sense to leave. I am sure anyone who was irritated by my leaving would have much prefered that to my throwing up there.

Also I have at times returned to the second seating show to see a part I really enjoyed. If I do this I always go to the balcony and stand in the back so I don't disturb anyone leaving. I try to be courtious but I also feel if the show is not any good why should I not leave and go to the piano bar or elsewhere to have a more enjoyable time as long as I am discrete. After all I am on the cruise to have a good time.

Another thing is the comedians. They have the so called family shows and the "r" rated shows. I have been to shows that I thought should have been "r" rated when they were considered family. If I get up and leave one of these I do not care who that offends.

As a paying customer I feel I have the right to stay or leave. Am I wrong on this, because I caught some slack from a fellow board member?

You do have the right to leave. Why should you have to endure something that is not pleasing to you? Ignore the other poster LOL.

What if I was just leaving to use the mens room? Who knows the difference?

Exactly. No one would know the difference and even if they did....so what?

Gymbrat, darlin... do you REALLY think they think that? Do you really think they are paying attention to who is coming and going? Come on. :rolleyes: So one should not go to the bathroom, go get a drink, or heaven forbid... go get sick? You have got to be kidding me? When you pick up the tab for my cruise, you can tell me whether or not I have to sit through something I don't want to... Great thing about cruising, you can do what you want! On our cruise, there were two shows going on at the same time... in trying to figure out which we wanted to see, we were told to go to one, stay for a little while and see how we like it and then try the other one... Same with dinner... so, if you order dinner and decide you really don't care for it and get something else, are you "rude"? Are you telling the chef that they are not good enough? For crying out loud, this is Carnivals MAIN theme! Do what YOU want to do... it's ALL-INCLUSIVE. Those performers are being paid the exact same if one peson comes or if hundreds come... you are out of your mind if you think these people lose sleep (or even pay attention) to someone leaving...

Another thing too- what if you are mistakenly seated by the family from hell whose devil kids not only cannot not sit quitely but tromps on your feet as they go back and forth-meanwhile either Mom and Dad are oblivious are they feel they paid for their cruise so THEY should be allowed to sit there. I would be more then GLAD if they left in fact would be THANKFULL; but if they don't have that courtesy I will leave-after all I have raised my kid- so why should I have to put up with that? I mention that because I have an aquaintance who has such devil kids and when I requested that she should take them out at a local movie theather as a courtesy to others her response was be glad I did not have to live with them as she had to. I was shocked-after all SHE made those kids not me so they were her responsibilty. I NEVER allowed my daughter to be disruptive to others, she was corrected when she misbehaved.

I think it is rude because you're saying that they're not good enough or entertaining enough for you to watch them. They work hard to entertain us.

That's rediculous. Tell me that if you went to the movies and didn't like it you'd still sit through it?

I certainly wouldn't.

Something you might not realize if you've never performed on stage....

With all of the lighting, you honestly cannot see past about the first 4 row unless they have the house lights up. The preformers wouldn't know if you got up and left unless you were in the front.

I don't think it's rude at all to leave a show that you aren't enjoying. Just a warning though, if you leave during the comedy show, you may be harrassed by the comedian, especially if you are seated in one of the first few rows. This is all part of the act but still it could be embarrassing. Of course, not all comedians will do this but the one on our cruise harassed everyone who got up during the show. I don't remember his name.

Not being a show person myself....I vote that it is very acceptable to exit quitely. I have done so many times & will continue to do so. Way too many other things I need to be doing...like gambling, or drinking or whatever I feel like since it is MY vacation.

You did nothing wrong or rude. In fact, you did it in the best way possible. My DH and I rarely attend shows and when we do, we sit in the back just in case we find the show not to our liking. Some people just have a skewed way of looking at things, but you're not one of them.

The Boss and I really like the shows. I don't think we have ever been to one that we didn't like, although we enjoy some more than others. But the analogy to offending the performers would be if you didn't like your dinner, but "cleaned your plate" so as to not offend the chef.

There is absolutely no reason why you can't leave. I've left comedian shows that I thought were tasteless & completely unfunny. Frankly, I hope they saw me so they knew how unfunnty they were. But as many posters have said, how does anyone know why you're leaving? The performers certainly aren't keeping track of who leaves & comes back--if they are, they're not doing their jobs! There aren't people at the door asking why you're leaving. Please. What if you were ill--are you supposed to be ill right there in the showroom because you don't want to appear "rude?" I think it's far ruder for people to sit where the poor piano players or other performers are playing & then talk & scream as loud as they can. There's nothing wrong with talking quietly, but some people seem to think they need to share their conversation with everyone, so we get disturbed while we're trying to listen to the music. Cruise performers develop VERY thick hides--they have to or they won't make it.

Ya know, I feel just awful about leaving that professional baseball game in the eighth inning to beat the traffic.........they get paid so well to perform for me and I'm sure they all got really ticked off when I left.... :)

Ya know, I feel just awful about leaving that professional baseball game in the eighth inning to beat the traffic.........they get paid so well to perform for me and I'm sure they all got really ticked off when I left.... :)

LOL!!!! I love it!! Too funny and I feel the same way - like the people on stage know that you are leaving and even if they do notice someone leaving then they know that you are leaving because they can't stand you and think you stink as an entertainer????!!!!!! That's just nuts!!!! If you pay money for a show and you hate it - your going to sit through it???

I was at a Red Sox game not long ago. They were down 7-0 in the 8th inning. I had also sat through a 2 hour rain delay. When I got up to leave after the 8th inning, I could swear Manny Ramirez, and Pedro Martinez were pointing at me and commenting on how I was leaving early!

Thanks guys for your support, I think we have beat this one to death, and I can see that ALMOST all of us are in complete aggreance with each other. Unfortunately I am the only one who seems to be getting knocked for this. Time to plan my next cruise. This board is great! ALMOST all of you are very helpful.

I have, on occasion, spoken in front of large groups of people and I would not have been offended if everyone had walked out.:D Like Host Kristi said,past the first few rows, you don't even see the audience.

Archived