Best Place to Stay in Seattle

We are on Pearl out of Seattle and are wondering which hotel would be best for our pre-night (coming in from East coast) and two post nights in Seattle. Looking for family friendly, but on the high end. It's hard to see where the ship and hotels are from what I can find. Any help is most appreciated.

We stayed at the Marriott Waterfront. Wonderful view. It is on the Pier. We watched the NCL Sun leave on Saturday and watched the Star come in on Sunday from our room. The hotel is $$$$ but right across from the pier, we walked with our luggage over and checked in. There is a very nice restaurant in the hotel and a wonderful place across the street that we sat and ate and watched the Sun leave from. It is within walking distance of the Seattle Aquarium. :)

You're on NCL, right? I think they sail from Pier 66 which is right much closer to all the fun things you'll want to do--that's the pier that's near the Edgewater Hotel (which is actually on a pier) and the Marriott (which is across the street from the cruise ship pier, not actually on a pier as the previous poster said). Both are excellent hotels and perfect if you're sailing out of Pier 66. I would give the slight edge to the Edgewater (ha, that was a pun!) because it's actually on the pier and the Beatles stayed there when they were in town, and I'm pretty sure it's kid-friendly. The rooms all have fireplaces, it's got a lodge theme to it. If your ship leaves from Terminal 30, though, you might want to consider staying up on the hillside instead, like at the Westin, since there are absolutely no hotels near Terminal 30 and even if there were you probably wouldn't want to stay there because it's in the cargo part of the port and there's nothing really nearby. In addition to the Westin (which is near Pike Place and right in the heart of the shopping district downtown), another great choice is the Inn at the Market, great boutique hotel and right at Pike Place Market. Or, you could stay closer to Pioneer Square and choose the Alexis, I've never stayed there but the lobby is lovely and the restaurant there is great, I eat there with coworkers sometimes. The restaurant has colored pencils so you can draw on the butcher paper that covers the table, but underneath is a nice white tablecloth and it's still nice and elegant. So, I think it would probably be fine with kids.

We are doing an RCI repo cruise, San Diego to Vancouver and taking Amtrak back to LA. We need to overnight in Seattle on our way back and would like something close to the train station. We are only in Seattle from 10pm on a friday night and leave around 9:30am Saturday so it doesn't have to be fancy but we like nice hotels. Any suggestions? Maybe someplace we can have a walk around the water for breakfast?

Thanks!

We are doing an RCI repo cruise, San Diego to Vancouver and taking Amtrak back to LA. We need to overnight in Seattle on our way back and would like something close to the train station. We are only in Seattle from 10pm on a friday night and leave around 9:30am Saturday so it doesn't have to be fancy but we like nice hotels. Any suggestions? Maybe someplace we can have a walk around the water for breakfast?

Thanks!

Close to the Train station and walk to the water doesn't really apply in Seattle. Not comfortably anyways. Area/distance that sort of thing.

We did your trip in reverse last year and stayed at the Crowne Plaza. Not too far from station by cab. Nice hotel. A hotel over closer to Pikes market would fit your biill. You still have to cab it anyways. Sorry I have no personal knowledge over that way.

Train from Van is usually on time and uptodate equipment.

South from Seattle...be prepared for some slight deviations from cruising.

Equipment is older and for us anyways plumbing didn't function well if at all when not a sea.level. (Southern Wa. and Oregon) Something to do with compressors in the system. Not a fatal flaw but being forwarned would have been nice.

Food was OK but a bit (lot) different than the cruise. In the future for us all train travel will be before the cruise:D

Close to the Train station and walk to the water doesn't really apply in Seattle. Not comfortably anyways. Area/distance that sort of thing.

We did your trip in reverse last year and stayed at the Crowne Plaza. Not too far from station by cab. Nice hotel. A hotel over closer to Pikes market would fit your biill. You still have to cab it anyways. Sorry I have no personal knowledge over that way.

Train from Van is usually on time and uptodate equipment.

South from Seattle...be prepared for some slight deviations from cruising.

Equipment is older and for us anyways plumbing didn't function well if at all when not a sea.level. (Southern Wa. and Oregon) Something to do with compressors in the system. Not a fatal flaw but being forwarned would have been nice.

Food was OK but a bit (lot) different than the cruise. In the future for us all train travel will be before the cruise:D

Thanks for all the info! I think someplace by Pikes Market sounds perfect. Is there anyplace in that area to grab a late bite if we are hungry? We will probably be exhausted though after disembarking, spending the day in Vancouver, then the train ride....

I am not expecting the accomadations and food to be what we will be enjoying on the radiance and are up for a little adventure......BUT, how bad was it???? We will get a sleeper for the entire trip from Seattle.

I enjoy collecting tidbits of info before our trips...I think it really helps avoid pitfalls and enjoy things you might not find on your own.:cool:

Thanks for all the info! I think someplace by Pikes Market sounds perfect. Is there anyplace in that area to grab a late bite if we are hungry?

Seattle is second best place for food..to Vancouver (some would say better) you will have no problems finding a grreat spot just about anywhere

I am not expecting the accomadations and food to be what we will be enjoying on the radiance and are up for a little adventure......BUT, how bad was it???? We will get a sleeper for the entire trip from Seattle.

we had a room... all I'm going to say is if you have never been on a train before ? It will be an adventure. Like I said food was OK &

dining car was ok. You will have the advantage of getting on in the daylight which we didn't. It was pitch dark for us and as the train was so late (like hours) it was not a great start to what I will call "An adventure" The train was at times moving more than the ship we had been on down the westcoast :)

I enjoy collecting tidbits of info before our trips...I think it really helps avoid pitfalls and enjoy things you might not find on your own.:cool:

I'm sure my experience will assist you.. I know it would have helped us a lot if we had just a little idea of what was going to happen.

Please Do not be frightened off... if it was a terrible thing I would tell you. We might not do it again but I'm glad we did it.

Would recommend the Edgewater or the waterfront Marriott for a place near the water that would give you an opportunity for a nice walk around the waterfront before getting on the ship.

The train they use for the Coast Starlight (that's the train from Seattle to LA) is getting pretty old now and sometimes has mechanical issues (i.e., the air conditioning puttering out in one of the cars--that happened to me last month) but it's really a fun way to travel. You meet lots of interesting people and there's plenty of lovely scenery. I'd bring lots of snacks if you can because they're really expensive onboard and the selection isn't huge, and you may get tired of eating in the dining car.

I would second the Edgewater or Marriot, because they are both right on the waterfront. Easy, nice and safe walking area. Not sure about where to go for a late bite though.

The train trip down the coast can be a bit disappointing. LOTS of wait time for the tracks, since the commercial company owns the track and their cargo trains have first dibs. Also, the train is inland for much of the trip. Snacks are a great idea, especially if you watch your diet .. the train tends to have quick convenience foods which aren't that healthy. Still though, it's a fun trip! I did it from Sea to San Diego in COACH. Next time, I'll try and get a sleeper. Otherwise, definitely do it again.

There is a great small hotel about 2 blocks from Pike Place Market called the Inn at Harbor Steps (there is also one called the Inn at the Market, which is very nice, also). It has very nice rooms (not many views, though) and serves wine and munchies each evening and a wonderful breakfast, included in the room. It is the first few floors of a residential building, very secure and very near many attractions (the market, across from the Art Museum) and restaurants. I used to travel to Seattle for business and always stayed there because it was so pleasant.

Archived