QM2 -- balcony with obstructed view

Clasina

Yesterday, I posted this, but forgot to say it was the Queen Mary 2. Anyone else with input?

Thanks to those who did reply.

======

These staterooms are "lifeboat view". Is the balcony still useable? When on the balcony, where's the lifeboat: overhead? in front? Can you see anything besides the lifeboat?

If you've had one of these rooms, how would you feel about having one again?

Thanks for the info!

Clasina,

Regardless of whether you get one of the really good ones (between two lifeboats, or with the smaller Zodiac boat in front of your balcony) or not, the balcony is still fully "Useable" Your view may be blocked of the sea or whatever. The boats are probably ten feet out from the balconies, with a catwalk slightly below deck grade for the crew to access them when they are hung from their davits. While it is true that sometimes the crew are out there, it is rarely while the ship is at sea, moving. Usually this will happen when you are in port, when they must prepare the lifeboats for raising or lowering to use them as tenders. This could also be the case if the crew is having a drill which includes lifeboats. (Not all drills use the lifeboats. We have watched drills that included such things as chemical spills, which didn't involve simulated abandon ships. I think those involving lifeboats may be the exception to the rule these days. That is seen as a last resort, and containment of any emergency is the first choice of response)

You will be able to look down, at the passengers on the promenade deck below you, and out, either directly or obliquely, to the sea or shore. the balcony is the same size as the upper glassed in balconies on the upper decks (10 and 11 decks) Two deck chairs, although you cannot fully recline in then out straight, but only at an angle, and a small plastic table, with outdoor type ashtray. Usually the deck charis have a dark green cushion which should be taken in at night. Unfortunately, our were already out when we boarded in New York last time (We were on an upper deck glassed-in balcony) and got soaked, and never dried on our four day cruise. Usually they are stashed behind the couch in your room. (well, loveseat, really) We enjoyed our obstructed view balcony on our 12 day Panama Cruise. You will get plenty of sunlight (assuming, of course, the sun is shining!) and can always look up and out to see the sky and the stars. Besides, 8 deck is well situated, IMHO and you can easily access most areas. The only thing I think was a really dumb design on 8 deck is that you cannot access the deck and pool area aft, unless you go through Todd English (Which would be frowned upon during dining hours) . Not very handicapped friendly. You have to go down one deck and walk up outside metal stairs to get there! But there is a laundramat just aft of one of the elevator lobbies Portside with either 2 or 3 machines each (I forget)

You'll love it, I assure you!

Karie,

Who has stayed in an obstructed view. offhand I think it was 8092, though not sure and too lazy to go look!

Thanks for some great insight into the obstructed balcony. We have one booked on the 9/22/07 Westbound Transatlantic. Just to be able to step out and look at the stars, or in the morning in my pjs is what I was looking for in booking this category. I booked 8052 after reading on this board that it was less obstructed than some of the others.

Karie,

Thanks for the detailed description. A B5/6 room on Deck 8 sounds just fine to me, based on what you've said, and at the very least there's a bit of a view and fresh air.

I appreciate your reply!

C

Hi Clasina,

Our last trip was on this deck for a transatlantic.

Hope the attached photos come through to give you some idea. There is a good 4/5 metres from your balcony door to the lifeboats. It worked really well for us and this deck is soooo convenient for so many things!

They are fine - they allow plenty of sunlight in - which you will get in your stateroom on a westbound.

They don't feel so claustropobic as an in-hull and once out on the balcony you did get an even better view and sense of space

Ian

view.jpg.e636792b5e73e4ca1a3a95a38cf024f6.jpg

1342397343_viewfromrail.jpg.b64e6dc61ea351ae59f42d97a30d40d2.jpg

Great pictures, Ian -- they show the view very well. For us, a deluxe balcony just isn't in the budget, but to be able to open the door and inhale the sea air would be worth some extra expense. Being one who doesn't mind the mechanical, I'd be fine with this scene.

Thanks

Archived