Scuba on St Thomas

chuckfwb

A shore dive at Coki Beach is quite enjoyable and certainly economical, but it isn't the best diving that St. Thomas has to offer. You'll want to go out on a boat to reach the better dive sites. If you are traveling with a mixed group of divers/non-divers the Coki Beach is a good choice as it will allow you all to stay together.

Bruce, could you give me some advice ? I did Coki beach one year with my daughter as a warm up.

Twice I have gone on the ships excursions. I was underwhelmed.... What operator will take me to a dive site where there is actually something to see?

Bruce, could you give me some advice ? I did Coki beach one year with my daughter as a warm up.

Twice I have gone on the ships excursions. I was underwhelmed.... What operator will take me to a dive site where there is actually something to see?

Well, I can't make a personal recommendation, but I can tell you the names of a few operators that have been recommended to me.

Chris Sawyer Dive Center has an excellent reputation.

Admiralty Dive Center has small boats, which appeals to me, and also offers a 3 tank trip, which also appeals to me. I think they offer to pick up at the cruise dock. I'd probably say they would be my first choice.

http://www.blueislanddivers.com/ has also been recommended here on CC, but I can't get their website to load and I tried 2 different browsers.

Bruce, you appear to be very well infomed and I like your posts. I tried finding an email addy for you, and cannot. Could you please email me. I'd like to further discuss a diving opportunity for you. Thanks! missjrmint@yahoo.com

Thanks. My email address is in my profile, but I'll seen you a message @yahoo.com so you'll get an address I check more often.

Thanks for the tip Bruce we are awaiting Chris Sawyer dive to get back to us -there web site shows all the locations and that inlcudes a few wrecks so that is probably where our diving will be done this year. I can even go with hubby and snorkel.:D

I've dove with St. Thomas Dive Club 3 times and Blue Island once. ST shop is at bolongo bay beach club and they go out to Buck island. They will pick you up and drop off for free if you dock at WICO. Blue Island's shop is at near the CB pier they also pick up and drop off for free, BI dives mostly at Flat Cay. Both are fine just depends on where the ship docks.

I've dove with St. Thomas Dive Club 3 times and Blue Island once. ST shop is at bolongo bay beach club and they go out to Buck island. They will pick you up and drop off for free if you dock at WICO. Blue Island's shop is at near the CB pier they also pick up and drop off for free, BI dives mostly at Flat Cay. Both are fine just depends on where the ship docks.

Admiralty also offers a pick-up service from Crown Bay, Havensight, Frenchman's (Marriott). There is a small charge by the docks, but their package prices are still great, so it doesn't make much difference. The good thing with them is weather and skill levels permitting, they will take you to any type of site you seek from advanced wrecks to shallow coral and fish filled reefs. They can also cater to diver/snorkeler mixed groups! AND they're soooo friendly and knowledgable!

I just got off the Carnival Glory and I used "Dive World" for an operator and dove Cokie Beach. Cokie Beach was a nice dive site I would rate it 7 out of 10. But "Dive World" is absolutely horrible. do yourself a favor and use someone else. They use 50cf tanks, had no dive flags, no pre-dive plan other than follow me you'll be fine. Very poor equipment rentals. I could go on and on. Sounds like you had some good recomendations, I would use them. Avoid the excursion desk.

let me ask this about st thomas ......are the dive site jr open water frendly?:rolleyes: my son 11 is jr open water and i would like to fine a very enjoyable dive for the both of us.....thanks
I'd recommend going to Coki Beach and dive with http://www.cokidive.com. Easy, shallowish shore dive and considerably less expensive than a boat dive.

Archived