carseats on transfer vehicles???

cmacf1

We just got our final documents today (YAY!!!) and when I was reading through the paperwork, I saw that we will be required to use carseats in any taxis, cars, and vans (didn't see bus there.) We purchased the Princess transfer from San Juan to the terminal and I have no clue if we need to drag along carseats for our 2 and 4 year olds. We were not planning to, but if they won't take us, I guess we'll have to. Anybody use a Princess (or any other) transfer with small children? Thanks!

I wanted to add to the above: we certainly use carseats at home at all times and fully believe in using carseats. However, I didn't think you needed them for public transportation, and that's my question: will we be allowed to board the bus if we don't bring carseats?

I'm sort of guessing here.... not sure, but, you probably couldn't properly install the carseats on a bus anyway so what would be the point in having them?! I wouldn't think they would be required...

guess that doesn't really help- I haven't ever taken the cruise ship's bus! probably best to Call the cruiseline to double check...

:o

We're cruising on HAL in 2 weeks, and bought a transfer from the airport. Even if we were taking our car seat (we're not), they informed me that it would not be usable for the transfer to the ship, so it certainly isn't necessary. Hope that helps!

Car seats ARE required in taxis on most Caribbean islands. They include the PR, the Bahamas, USVI, BVI, Cayman, Grenada, even Cozumel or Cancun (not an island). They are usually not a requirement on buses.

Why not use a taxi and buckle your child into a car seat? They have many that are light and also FAA approved for flights. Aren't you using a car seat on the plane??

We took our 1-year old great niece on a Western Carib itinerary in August and had her car seat with us. When possible we did use it on excursions, in rental cars, and in taxis. We did not do any excursions through RCCL though. When tendering we, of course, just held her on our laps but had purchased a coast guard approved infant life vest for her before leaving home. RCCL had two different types of infant life vests for use on-board but we had been advised that none of the excursion boats had them. Besides using it when out on sea excursions she wore the vest while we were tubing in Jamaica.

Hi, we are taking the Crown Princess December 9 and took the Carribbean Princess last year. Last year my kids were 4 and 9 mos old and this year (obviously) 5 and 20 months. We didn't bring car seats last yea rand no one stopped us on the Princess bus transfer last year.

As for car seats, I would love to know if the taxi drivers require car seats to transport kids to the beach?

I was actually surprised by this because I posted the same question months ago. the general opinion was that no you didn't need them. most taxis we've taken didn't even have seat belts much less car seats. I also saw a post where someone mentioned taking a car seat on a plane? Do people do this? Most kids I've ever seen are on parents lap or in a regular seat. We are cruising with our 22 month old and I am not bringing a seat. Are you supposed to carry this thing around with you all day? Almost seems if it was a requirement of the cab companies they'd keep one in the trunk as a courtesy because they know the cruise industry pretty well. We are only doing excursions through Carnival or staying near the port and Carnival advised for their transportation to excursions the child could sit on a parents lap, which is fine with us. I believe in safety so don't get me wrong but even in the U.S. we don't require seat belts on public buses or even school buses and that to me was always crazy. Maybe that only applies to taxi cars, maybe if you take one of the small taxi van's/buses it won't apply. I'd call the cruise line as I'm sure you're not the first person to ask.

good luck

Lynn

I also saw a post where someone mentioned taking a car seat on a plane? Do people do this? Most kids I've ever seen are on parents lap or in a regular seat. We are cruising with our 22 month old and I am not bringing a seat. Are you supposed to carry this thing around with you all day?

good luck

Lynn

My son is 17 months old and we've always paid for a seat on the plane for him. It's expensive but, for our peace of mind and (more importantly) his comfort, we take the car seat and buckle him into it for the flight. We've been told that it's the safest way for an infant to fly so, just as we use his car seat in the car, we use it on the plane.

Yes, it's bulky to carry....but if you go to www.onestepahead.com, you can buy a "Pac Back" for carrying it on your back, which makes it much easier to tote. It's not cheap (I think it's $39.95 plus shipping) but it's been worth the money for us.

Excursions, for us, are a different story. We do take his car seat on the ship, just in case, but the excursions we've chosen haven't needed it.

I have always purchased a seat for my daughter. I don't back out of my driveway without her in a carseat - why would I do so on a plane?

I also avoid buses and do use taxi's so that she will be in a car seat.

When you become a parent you sign on for "hauling the Xtra stuff". I used a sit n stroll - a stroller that becomes a car seat. You will find taxi's that have seat belts, although you may have to wait for a second taxi once in a great while when you are in the Caribbean. Just look down in the seat - just a bit of work - and you will find the seat belts. I have also the "tote n go" when in taxis.

Have a safe vacation!

• 2 weeks later...
I also saw a post where someone mentioned taking a car seat on a plane? Do people do this? Most kids I've ever seen are on parents lap or in a regular seat. We are cruising with our 22 month old and I am not bringing a seat. Are you supposed to carry this thing around with you all day?

We have a 2 1/2 year old and have traveled quite a bit since he was 5 months old. We did not buy him a seat the first two times we flew, but since reading articles like this statement from the American Academy of Pediatrics, we have been buying him a seat and bringing along a car seat on every flight. (Other than the budget airlines, the major carriers usually charge 1/2 off for kids under 2 on a plane.) Aside from the safety concerns -- it is hard to anticipate sudden turbulence -- we have noticed that he is more willing to sit still and nap on the plane while sitting in his car seat because he is *accustomed* to that. The time we flew with him when he was around a year old and not in his own seat on the plane, all he wanted to do was go up and down the seat, move around, or he was otherwise having difficulty napping, even though we flew during his customary nap hours. He has been on roughly ten flights since that time, each time in his car seat and each time he napped with little protest when his customary nap time came around.

We also own that Pac Back mentioned above, and it makes carrying the car seat very easy. It is a bit cheaper if you buy from Babycenter.

We have never found taxis that regularly carried a car seat (and if they did the idea seems disgusting -- who knows how often they clean it). But we did find out the last time we were in Florida that taxis are not exempt from the car seat laws (unlike busses).

Archived