Report...Amadagio Prague to Budapest

River Rover

Just back from October 7 day cruise The weather was perfect, the boat is brand new and in my opinion, the best on the waterways. Large cabins, great showers, computer in every room, and most with sliding glass windows that you can open to enjoy the scenery. "French balcony" is a joke....you can not step out on it, it extends only about a foot outside the room, but no big deal. The staff was without exception the best I have ever encountered. Everyone worked very hard to make the cruise enjoyable. The shore excursions were well organized and about what you would expect...on your right you have...on your left you have, etc.. The cities were, however a good choice and interesting. Now for the "not that great catagory"...Food! Just OK to good and several very good but spotty at best and disappointing generally. The presentations were interesting, but the quality was lacking and the portions when good were small. Breakfast was best with a good assortment of items. Anyway, the included wine with dinner flowed copiously and to some degree made up for the other shortcomings. Hey...maybe this was by design? So, al in all very enjoyable.

Hello River Rover, Thanks for the review and again another bad review on the food. We are needless to say disappointed knowing we are taking this cruise in June. We are scheduled to cruise on the Amalegro a brand new ship and we researched and chose Amadeus one of reasons being the good reviews on the food.:confused: Did you voice opinion to the staff? Also did you take the optional trip to Salzburg? We also have a French balcony but our cabin is aft #229 last cabin in the back. Hopefully no engine noise. Thanks again...

We were on Amadeus Symphony this summer from Prague to Budapest. Our first river cruise. We enjoyed it very much as did our 2 teen daughters. However I will echo the criticism of the food. I felt dinner was lacking. Portions were small and food quality was ok to good never great. I felt the wine was swill. After a few days of the same we were buying our own bottles for dinner. Walking tours and guides were great. Definately take the trip to Salzburg----beautiful city. Our cabins were on the top deck and while small were adequate. We preferred when the boat was docked for the night as it made for more peacefull sleeping. Night cruising was very noisy and lots of movement (vibration)

I am compelled to throw in my two cents worth about the food on the Amadagio. It is important to note that if you are like my Dad, a "meat and potatos" kind of guy, you might not appreciate the size of the dinners - especially if you do not endulge in the soups and appetizers. If in doubt you can always choose from the "standard fare" and have just about what ever you like. I found the meals - especially dinner - very enjoyable, well presented and very tasty. In fact I heard many of the passengers rave to the chef when ever they saw him. When it came time for the captain to introduce his crew to the passengers, the kitchen staff got the loudest applause, especially the chef and even more so the Saucier. Please don't be discouraged by what you might read on these posts. If you find the portions lacking, you can simply ask for an extra amount. There were a couple in my party that almost always had their deserts a la mode (with extra ice cream).

Buck

we took the Tulip Cruise on the Amadagio at the beginning of the year. The food was just outstanding every day and well beyond Ok & adequate. Yes, the portions were smaller, however one could always ask for more and this was never a problem. If you made the "wrong" choice and you were disappointed when you tasted what you got you could always get it changed. I cannot recall hearing anybody on our cruise complaining about the food.

Salzburg was great. Cabin we had was 227 and no problem with noise. Used Gate 1 for arrangements and their air. Had no problems, except itenerary said full morning in Prague before bus to ship. Ended up having to leave at 9 AM for a long ride to Nuremburg. Regarding food, it was not quality restaurant fare. Acceptable for the most part, but nothing outstanding. The excellent service on board made up for the food.

Archived