Newbie question: How Formal are Formal Nights

Father Ted

Going on our first ever cruise 2 weeks from today. I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times before but the Search is not working for me...

How formal are the formal nights? Is is Tux level or Suit or Sports jacket?

Thanks in advance!

I couldn't make the search work either. The web site has been acting strange the past couple of days. Normally you would find tons of threads on the formal night dress. You will also find lots of opinions on what is appropriate. You will see some men in tuxedos and women in formal gowns , some men in suit and tie and women in cocktail type dresses ( I would say this was the majority) and some men in dress pants and shirt (with or without tie). It all comes down to what you will be comfortable in. One of our members posted recently a photo on formal night with a man in a santa suit:eek: . I personally like to dress up and take a nice photo. They will have several backdrops and photographers around on formal night.

Can ladies wear black dress pants? I do not even own a skirt or dress' date=' and am just not a skirt/dress kind of person at all. I am not a thin person and can be very self conscious in anything that isn't pants! Thanks.[/quote']

Yes I have seen black dress pants w/sparkly tops.:)

Like I said before you should be comfortable and enjoy your dinner.

Father Ted:

Congratulations on your first cruise. Definately hope it is memorable in all ways so you can join the crowd of the HAC (hoplessly addicted to cruising).:)

In regards to formal wear, I suggested you plan to wear what you feel comfortable in. My DH wore a suit and tie on our first two cruises and then surprised me by saying he was going to buy a tux for our third cruise. Had only seen him in a tux twice in our 3 decades of marriage, his brother's and our daughter's wedding. DH wore his Class A army uniform at OUR wedding).

DH has worn his tux on all but one of our cruises since then and actually looks forward to formal night. We've discovered there's a special aura that falls over our evening as we step out of our cabin dressed to the nines.

Dianne

Wow two week I wish I was going in two week where are you going? Have a great time. As for what to take I took three suites because of two formal nights and one Supper Club but if you only have one formal night only take one. Have a great time and try the Supper Club worth it believe me.

Formal night is really only formal for the dining room, if you choose not to eat in the dining room that night, dress how you will. If you do choose to eat in the dining room, please comply with the dress code - even if it is poorly enforced - the dress code can be found on the carnival site but here is a nutshell paste:

Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit

Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

How Formal are Formal Nights?

As you are probably already starting to understand, as formal as you want to make it.

I do, however, completely agree with dood, please make sure that you dress within the guidelines. Carnival is pathetic when it comes to enforcing its own dress code, but that still is not an excuse not to abide by it. I, for one, feel that taking the extra effort to "dress" for the occasion only adds to the enjoyment of the evening. For the record, I have always gone with the Suit & Tie option, but have seen several that have chosen to go with a Tuxedo. My attitude regarding formal night is if you don't want to make the effort to dress, there’s always the buffet, pizza or burgers up on Lido.

It's invisible Caribbean Dad but ever since I have been struck by lighning I can see things that other people can't. ;)

Bill

Sounds like quite a shocking experience.

(Sorry, but you really didn't expect me to leave that one alone now did ya??!!) :D :D

Formal nite should be a dressup nite. If you dont feel like dressing up you wont be out of place but from someone who knows, you'll wished you had. There are lots of photo opportunities that night and I for one will wear a suit on my upcoming cruise. I kept telling my wife how neat it was to see people dressed up, but it is not mandatory. Do what u feel comfortable doing.

You will probably feel better if you follow the guidelines (tux or suit and tie). Ladies in dressy black pants and an elegant top look great, in my opinion. Don't forget the formal night photos...you'll look great and have a remembrance of your first cruise.

Going on our first ever cruise 2 weeks from today. I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times before but the Search is not working for me...

How formal are the formal nights? Is is Tux level or Suit or Sports jacket?

Thanks in advance!

For older "kids"..I think you have and ambient look, attitude, and aura about you when you are dressy-uppy. Everyone looks fab--u luss..and the dining room takes on a lovely quality..We are the same in a dress down mode, but something about my "GUY" in his tux..makes me wanna chase him allll over again..and again...and yes, the pix are really nice as a keepsake..I only buy the reallly terrif ones (not the boadring or SOLAS Drill ones)....they will scan, email ,and print w/o any henderance. also make this years xmas pressies a snap for the M & D, kids, BF/GF..or a business card etc..they pose you to a real advantage..also the Blue back ground is taken/developed in Blk n White..so no tiresome appts on land..8x10 $20 but a pkg is offered..so not a bad value at all. Also for past guest, most pax dress up for the party..whatz one more thing in the luggage..Blk bottom w/ changeable tops are THE answer..if you dont have dressy up clothes already in the closet. Hubby in a nice blazer, dk jacket.suit works for the men. a tie is nice too..u can always chg after dinner for the balance of the evening. Voi la, question andwered, problem solved..Have a wionderful cruise..and youll become a HAC !

Archived