Horseback riding and Breweries

moosetracks17

In Juneau, the Alaskan Brewing Company has tours every half hour with free samples at the end of the tour. Their website is www.alaskanbeer.com Not within walking distance of the cruise ship docks. You'd need a bus, taxi, or a tour.

In Skagway, rent a car a drive the Yukon Highway to Emerald Lake. The Emerald Lake Stables www.yukonhorses.com offers a 2 hour ride for about $100.00.

• 2 weeks later...

My hubby and I made a pilgrimmage to Alaskan Brewery TWICE ... the first time we got there just after they had closed. We get their beers here in Seattle, and they're one of our favorites. Second time, we made SURE we got there in time. The tour isn't really a tour, more of a talk about the beer and the brewery. Still interesting though. And they have a bar in the gift shop where you can have all the tastings you want.

The brewery is too far to walk to. The first time we picked up the bus near the McDonald's in the main tourist section. Be sure to ask the driver to let you know when you're at the right stop for the brewery, it's in an industrial area and is easy to miss. The second time we ended up spending a lot of money on a taxi tour! It was our own fault. We taxied out to Mendenhall glacier, then called the same driver. He took us back toward the brewery and dropped us off at a Chinese restaurant for lunch (his recommendation that it was good food and easily walkable to the brewery - which we did after lunch). Then we called him again to take us back to the main drag. It ended up being kinda pricey, but also kinda cool because he'd lived for like 20 years and talked A LOT about history and culture. I'm guessing that to and from the brewery would cost you in the neighborhood of 20 -25 roundtrip. I figure that's part of the cost of cruising.

Archived