transatlantic cabin question inside or outside

JBuffettPH

We are considering a 16 day Transatlantic crossing this fall and were trying to decide between an inside cabin and an outside cabin. We have travelled with inside cabins before on 7 day cruises and love it. Slept really well in the nice dark space. But 16 days may be a long time to live in a closet!

We have heard others that raise the concern that transatlantic can be more likely to run into heavy seas and that having a window can nice to be able to see the horizon.

Any thoughts? The difference is $300/cabin. We were hoping others could share their experiences with transatlantic sailings or inside outside/ cabin choice.

Thanks

On our transatlantics we book verandah cabins. With 5 to 6 sea days in a row, there is nothing nicer than being able to sit on your verandah reading and/or sleeping. We have done a fall trans from Barcelona 3 times and have had great weather every time - with calm seas.

Also nice to keep the verandah door ajar at night and listen to the sound of the ocean - no bugs to worry about and no waking to a cruise ship next to you with somebody looking in your cabin.

Thanks,

From your signature it looks like you've been on our cruise twice (Millenium transatlantic westbound). You make a great deal of sense and she absoloutely loves leaving the door open while sleeping so I grabbed the last available balcony guarantee. Hey you only live once and you might as well make the most of the ride!! (I may even surprise her)

Was it warm on the transatlantic crossing?

Thanks,

We love the Millie westbound trans - those six 25 hour days are great! We have been doing it every other year since our 2001 so we have done it 3 times.

I found it to be warm - but I'm from Chicago and we are having temps in the 30's and 40's now. I would say the lowest we noticed was in the high 50's.

You'll be going with a few friends of ours that were on last years trans as well as 2003. If you go to the Cruise Critic party, say hello to Brad and Anne (cirpi) for me. Also, check out your roll call.

Wish we were going on this one as the 2005 trans was cut from 14 to 12 nights due to the ship being delayed from drydock. I guess they added the two days we lost to this years trans as the previous Millie trans's were 14.

Enjoy yourself! A trans gives you plenty of time to enjoy the amenities of the ship instead of rushing to and from port excursions for nearly the entire cruise.

We haven't done a transatlantic cruise, but have done a 14 day southern Carribbean cruise in an inside cabin and love it. Yes it is nice to be able to look out a window, but for the most part you will only see water and for $300 more, not sure it would be worth it. We did not fee cooped up at all and also we were midship, so the ride was good.

We haven't done a transatlantic cruise, but have done a 14 day southern Carribbean cruise in an inside cabin and love it. Yes it is nice to be able to look out a window, but for the most part you will only see water and for $300 more, not sure it would be worth it. We did not fee cooped up at all and also we were midship, so the ride was good.

If you are a person who needs daylight to wake, than an inside cabin is not a good idea. My husband and I need daylight to wake us. During winter, we have a light with daylight bulb that turns on about a half hour before our wake up time - otherwise we would sleep through the alarms. We had an inside cabin for our very first cruise and never made it up for breakfast - just barely got up for our excursions - even with an alarrm clock and wake up call. The total darkness in the room and the gentle rocking motion of the ship would lull us right back to sleep. Since then, we only book oceanviews but depending on the itinerary and number of sea days, we book verandahs. A transatlantic with half or more of the cruise sea days is perfect for a verandah. You definitely get to enjoy it plus having the added benefit of leaving the door open and hearing the sounds of the ocean. We would also book one the next time we go to Alaska even though it is port intensive as it would have been great viewing Hubbard Glacier or sighting a whale from the privacy of our verandah instead of the crowded deck.

I wouldn't even consider an inside cabin if you only save $300. The only time I felt seasick on a cruise (out of maybe 20) was when I was in an inside cabin. I think that the sun and being able to kind of "anchor" myself to the horizon helps.

We've done both inside and outside cabins on 14+ day trips including a transatlantic cruise. It really comes down to personal preferences re having a private view of the ocean, sitting on your own verandah, sleeping in the dark, etc. You may also prefer to spend the $300 in savings on activities in Europe - eating, shopping, etc.:)

We have been on 9 cruises and 8 of them have been in inside cabins, midship and have thoroughly enjoyed them. Someday I will book a balony cabin, but it will have to be after my wife gets over fear of heights, for now the inside will do fine.

We ve had both inside and balconies. We chose a balcony for the Panama Canal, Mediterrean, and some of the Caribbean cruises.

For our Transatlantic we have chosen an inside, low cabin as that would be the most stable place if we hit rough seas.

We plan to spend a lot of time out on Promenade deck in a teak chair and watch the sea roll by. There are lots of places on the ship to enjoy the sea and makes cruising more affordable.:D

Yes that was pretty good advice and about the way it is. One thing that cabin is not one of the Hal. On most of the Hal the inside is 182 sq. ft. and we have enjoyed them with enough space to move around in and storage. The one pictured looks smaller, but nice.

Archived