Anyone take Maasdam from Norfolk recently?

TN Cruise Traveler

We leave in December and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about excursions to do or not to do?

Best meals?

Worst meals (heaven forbid!)

Best shows or activities on the ship?

Norfolk motel you loved or hated and was parking included?

What you wish you would have brought?

Short replies are fine.

Thanks so much for any info as it is our first Hal and our first Norfolk departure.

I can highly recommend the Norfolk Waterside Hotel. It's within walking distance of the pier (maybe 4 blocks away) and is a typical high-grade Marriott. The Shula's sports bar is a decent restaurant, but there's also a Kinkaid's in the MacArthur Mall (2 blocks away) that is great. On the other side of the hotel is a shopping plaza with a Hooters, Outback, and other places like that. Parking was not included in our rate, but HAL did offer a promotion for free parking at the municipal lot.

Embarkation and disembarkation sucked. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but the Nauticus is still under construction and it's clear the city of Norfolk has no clue how to handle so many people coming and going at once. Just set your expectations low and you won't be disappointed.

I definitely recommend a cabana with butler service at HMC. My wife and I also really enjoyed the white water river tubing in Dominica and the sail, snorkel, and beach safari in Barbados. The Bacardi tour in San Juan was okay, but ran really long and didn't actually let you see any rum production.

Radisson Hotel Norfolk has breakfast buffet for 2, welcome reception, free pier shuttle bus and free long term parking. Excellent night's stay, fast pick up at pier on return trip - no call required, 2 vans were there waiting. You must show your cruise travel documents at check in.

:p WE CRUISED ON MAASDAM FROM NORFOLK THE LAST TWO JANUARIES. SHIP IS GORGEOUS, FOOD IS OUTSTANDING PLENTY TO DO ON BOARD OR DO AS LITTLE AS YOU WANT. AS FAR AS HOTELS WE STAYED AT BEST WESTERN HOLIDAY SAND, 1330 OCEAN VIEW BLVD THEY HAVE APACKAGE PLAN AROUND $100.00 INCLUDES ROOM, BKFST FREE PARKING FOR DURATION OF CRUISE AND FREE TRANSFERES FROM HOTEL TO SHIP AND BACK. HOTEL IS ON A BEAUTIFUL STRETCH OF BEACH AND WHEN WE WERE THERE IN 2005 IT WAS IN THE 70S, SOWE GOT TO WALK ON THE BEACH AWHILE. MAIN DRAWBACK IS THAT IT IS ABOUT 40 MINUTES FROM SHIP. THIS YEAR WE STAYED AT BEST WESTERN CENTER INN 235 MILITARY HIGHWAY SAME DEAL AS ABOVE BUT IS ONLY ABOUT 5 OR 10 MINUTERS AWAY PRICES ARE A BIT LOWEWR TOO WE PAID ABOUT $55.00 MILITARY RATE. THEY HAVE AARP AND AAA RATE TOO THERE ARE PLENTY OF RESTURANTS NEARBY, INCLUDING A REAL NICE STEAKHOUSE ON PREMISES. ALSO HAS AN INDOOR POOL. NEITHER PLACE IS VERY FANCY BUT SEEMED CLEAN AND FRIENDLY. LARGE VARIETY OF TYPES OF ROOM AT EACH

DOLPHIN IV, SUNWARD, NORDIK EXPRESS, MV BOND, NORTHERN RANGER, BIG RED BOAT II 2X, CARNIVAL VICTORY, REGAL EMPRESS, ROTTERDAM VI 2X, ZENITH 2X, KWARTHA VOYEGEUR, GOLDEN PRINCESS, MAASDAM, 2X, QUEEN MARY II, CARNIVAL LEGEND, NORDIC EMPRESS, NOORDAM, NORWEGIAN SPIRIT, ALSO USS SPARTANBURG COUNTY, USS MOALE, USS MYLES C FOX, USS DAMATO, USS VOGELGESANG, USS ORTOLON, USS FULTON, WAITING FOR JAN 07 RYNDAM 30 DAY HAWAII AND FRENCH POLYNESIA

Archived