Cozumel's windward side beaches

CajunLiner

Also, does anyone know if the snorkeling is good on the east coast?

When I asked about boogie boarding on the east side, I receive several warnings about how dangerous the waves and currents are on the east side, so I would think that snorkeling there might not be the wisest thing to do.

The reason I asked is that I am invloved in a conversation on rec.travel.cruises about this issue. I have a good friend that is a hard core surfer/ocean guy and he went to the east coast looking for waves. He found none to surf on, but said he found excellent snorkeling at many beaches. He said the sea and shell life was much more abundant than on the traditional west coast sites. I wasn't there, but believe my friend because I know him to be very experienced in both surfing and diving.

Does anyone know for sure, one way or the other?

I have been snorkeling on the east side. Your friend who is a waterman is correct in his assessment. However most of the people who visit the island do not have the same skill set in the water he has. The surf is barely surfable on the best days. Some of the locals try, but it is lame to average at best. The boogie boarding is decent but if you don't know what you are doing or get in over your head it could get dangerous. I spent an afternoon snorkeling many beaches on the east side. Because of the wave action the visibility is greatly reduced and and with the constant changes in depth due to the waves you stand a good chance of getting scraped up on the ironshore. Snorkeling is much better in flat water and there is little of that on the east side. Plus the fish life is not that prolific in the wave zone. If you go beyond the wave zone, and the current works against you, next stop is Cuba. So to your queston.. Unless you share the same water skills as your surfer friend it would not be that great and idea. There are plenty of great spots on the west side to snorkel that are better.

Have Fun

Rich

Thanks, everyone, for the responses.

Okay, the swimming on the east coast is dangerous. I get the impression that, maybe, Playa Chen Rio is an exception to that rule because of the rocks protecting the cove. Is that correct?

Also, I was thinking of renting a Jeep and spending part of the day at one of the better west coast beaches and then switching over to the other side of the island for something a little different (or vice versa, if that is better).

Thanks, everyone, for the responses.

Okay, the swimming on the east coast is dangerous. I get the impression that, maybe, Playa Chen Rio is an exception to that rule because of the rocks protecting the cove. Is that correct?

I think that is correct.

Also, I was thinking of renting a Jeep and spending part of the day at one of the better west coast beaches and then switching over to the other side of the island for something a little different (or vice versa, if that is better).

If you are going to be driving around Coz, a good map will go to your benefit and I can't imagine you will find a better map than the Cozumel Map these people produce.

You might also enjoy reading this excellent guide to east coast beaches and dining.

Do a Google search for Chen Rio Mexico. Click on the third one from the top. It takes a few seconds to load. Click Playa Cen Rio on the map on the right and it will show you a panoramic view of Chen Rio and others. The pictures don't do it justice, but will give you some idea of what these beached look like.

Archived