Finally!! *official* Cc Diamond Princess Alaska Group Cruise - June 4, 2005

Host Caroline

Hey Cynde.. in case you don't check the other thread can you send me your name and email address to [email="carocruiser@aol.com"]carocruiser@aol.com[/email].

AND have just about worked out a group rate at the Red Lion hotel in Seattle... Nita tells me the rate is great and the location is primo.. just have to send them an email.. We will have rates for June 1-4!

Hi,

We are Joel and Judy from Central California. We just booked with Kevin. This will be our first trip to Alaska and our first cruise with Princess. Price seemed a little better than I had found on a BB and going with a group sounds like fun. Did everyone book a specific cabin or did you to a guarantee. We booked A500 on the Aloha deck. Kevin was going to check on the square footage and if the balcony was covered. I think we want a covered balcony just in case of rain and for a little more privacy. Can't wait unitl June.

[size=3][color=indigo]Hi Judy and Joel! Welcome!!![/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#4b0082]And welcome to Princess! I think you'll like them, they're about my favorite! Who have you cruised with before?[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#4b0082][/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#4b0082]This is my first time to Alaska, too. Going with this group sounds like fun to me, too! [/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#4b0082]We are on Aloha, cabin A433, almost right across the ship from you! I'm almost positive that the balcony is covered, as that was a concern for us, too. The brochure says the cabins are 237 to 307 sq. ft. Kind of a big difference, it seems. [/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#4b0082]Are you planning on doing a pre or post cruise stay in Seattle, or go back to Victoria?[/color][/size]

Hi,

We were on the NCL Pride of Aloha California coast repo cruise in June. It was just OK but we kind of expected some problems considering it was its first cruise after being remodeled. We went on RCL Viking Serenade in 1994 to Baja and on NCL Southward in 1992 to Baja. We haven't cruised very much at all but now that the kids are older and we can leave them home we are planning to do more of it. We will be coming in to Seattle on Saturday since my last day of school isn't until Thursday the 2nd. We will probably be going back to Seattle in July for a big car show. So I think it will be straight home for us after the cruise. Kevin was going to check on the balcony covering for me and get back to me but I didn't hear from him today. He was also going to try and find out about the size of the cabin. He was thinking that the difference in size of the balcony cabins had more to do with the size of the balcony rather than the size of the cabin. Hope we get a big group together for the cruise. The more the merrier!!!

[color=navy]Check out the post on our group page at [/color][url="http://http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=2043227#post2043227"][color=navy]http://http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=2043227#post2043227[/color][/url][color=navy].. when I get back from my mystery cruise we'll get into full gear on tours but this is something to get us started!!! [/color]

[color=navy]AND I'm in the process of going through a maze of hotels in Seattle trying to get a good location and rate for us..inalizing Hope you will consider joining us June 2-4 in Seattle...[/color]

[color=navy]It's coming together nicely:)[/color]

[color=navy]AND:: drumroll::: [color=red][b]Welcome Judy & Joe!![/b][/color] You will love cruising on Princess,[b][i]:) [/i][/b]love Alaska and have a ball with this group!!! We are gonna make this one of "[i]the[/i]" best vacations you've ever had.. And going in June like we are.. the days will be sooo long and the sunsets so awesome which IMHO only is an added "plus"!!![/color]

[color=navy]Kevin is great to work with and if he's a little slow getting back to you on the cabin size, it's probably all these hurricanes wreaking havoc on everything.. I think that some of the information on cabin size/balconies may be on the Princess Cruises website? Under Diamond Princess.. you might check there ([/color][url="http://www.princess.com/"][color=navy]http://www.princess.com[/color][/url][color=navy]) until you hear back![/color]

[color=navy][b]Can you please[/b] send me an email with your email contact, hometown and "real" name so I can add it to the group list! ([/color][email="carocruiser@aol.com"][color=navy]carocruiser@aol.com[/color][/email][color=navy])[/color]

[color=#000080]I will be on a mystery hurricane avoidance cruise in the next week so if anyone emails me and doesn't get an answer right away, that's why![/color]

[color=red][b]Oh, Christie and Gary[/b][/color]... [color=navy]where are you???[/color]
[color=navy][/color]
[color=navy]Got some info on hotel and tours on our "group board" under Cruise Critic Group Cruises but more importantly, can you send me your "real" name and email for my list?????? to [email="carocruiser@aol.com"]carocruiser@aol.com[/email][/color]
[color=navy][/color]
[color=navy]thanks and how are you guys doin' with the wedding plans???[/color]:D

[size=3][color=navy]Okay I have been remiss with all this hurricane stuff going on here on the boards, but when I get back from my mystery cruise, you guys will definitely want one of this marvelously designed "Diamond Princess" banners, right?????[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=navy][/color][/size]
[size=3][color=navy]not all the link-y stuff at the end but the colorful design, moving letters device that my computer literate friend Jan created for us!!![/color][/size]

Nita,

I checked with Kevin and he said that the balconies on the Aloha are covered and the ones on the Caribe deck are visible from the Aloha and Baja decks. He left me a message on my machine while we were gone this weekend and he said that the balcony in A500 was 41 square feet and the cabin was 137 feet. That doesn't add up to the 237 minimum square feet that the brochure says BB's have. I will try and call him back tomorrow and doulbe check. He said the BB's on the Caribe are 277 square feet total. Do you know any more about the square footage than this? I wonder if it is worth the covered balcony to get a smaller cabin. I'll post whatever I learn from him.

[size=3][color=indigo]Judy,[/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#4b0082]I'm sorry, but I don't know anything different than what I read in the brochure. Let me know if you find out anything![/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#4b0082]What car show in Seattle would you be going to? Classic car??? [/color][/size]

Nita,

There is going to be a National Oldsmobile Club show in Seattle. My husband has a 1969 Hurst Olds. We won't take the car since it's too long of a drive but we will just go and look around. We also have 2 GTO's and we were at a Western Regional Pontiac show in Reno this weekend. So I can guess you can say we do a lot of cruising just not on ships!!! Every thing that I see about the balcony cabin size says that the minimum size including balcony is 237 square feet so I think maybe Kevin was wrong and our cabins will be 237. I probably won't be able to call him today since I have to take my Mom shopping when I get off work. I'll keep you posted.

Judy

[size=3][color=indigo]Hi Judy,[/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#4b0082]I forgot to check this for a few days! I have a close friend who has classic cars. I go to cruise-ins with her every summer. She has maybe 10, so she can choose different ones to go to. [/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#4b0082]I went to one with her last year, called an "orphan" car show. You could take your Olds there! It was near Woodburn, Or., I think. [/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#4b0082]Have you heard more on the balcony size???[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#4b0082]Caroline, I see where you get an extra day on your current "mystery" cruise! You say you like sea days!!!! :D [/color][/size]

Hi Nita,

When I called Kevin he was on vacation. From everything I read the smallest balcony cabin is 237 square feet and we like the idea of a covered balcony so we are going to stay with A500. When we were on the Pride of Aloha in June we had an inside that was only 130 square feet so this will probably seem big to us. What kind of cars does your friend have and does she have space to keep all those cars. We can keep our 3 either in our garage or covered in RV parking but could no way have 10 that needed to be kept under cover. My husband and my boys have been to big Mopar show in Woodburn a few times. Joel takes a big business trip through Nevada, Idaho, Washington and Oregon each summer and they have spent the weekend in Woodburn in the past. This summer I met him in Spokane halfway through his trip and we spent the weekend on the Oregon coast which was great. I didn't want to spend the weekend at a car show. I'll probably do the same next summer with him but meet him in Seattle and go to the Oldsmobile show with him and see Seattle. My best friend has family in Seattle and I was up there with her several years ago. I wish more people had signed up for this cruise. The prices seem pretty good to me if this is the time of year you want to go.

[size=3][color=#4b0082]Yes, I hope more join this sailing, as I think it'll be a fun group! It's early, I'm sure we'll get more. [/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#4b0082]I was afraid you'd ask what cars my friend has! I'll try to remember. Her nicest, in my opinion, is a '41 Graham Hollywood, kinda rare. She has a 40ish Studebaker street rod, '62 Vette convertible, a '69 Vette, '62 Chev that is still original inside, about a '43 (?) GMC 4x4 p.u., a 40s (?) Bantam, '59 Rambler wagon, and a '56 Ford Club Sedan. Not sure if that's all, but know she has sold a '39 Cad LaSalle and a '59 T-Bird this past year. Fun cars, most of them! [/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#4b0082]I don't know if you realize why I suggested the show in Woodburn. An "orphan" car, is one that's no longer in production, like your Olds. It turns up quite a few Studebakers, Ramblers, and other lesser know cars. Quite an intetesting show![/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#4b0082]Have you looked at any tours yet? Debbie and I have some in mind, but will wait until we see what Caroline comes up with. Would be more fun to join the group, and hope for better prices![/color][/size]

Nita,

The most unusual cars we have owned have been Nash Metropolitans. We had a lot of fun with those. Got lots of funny looks when we drove around in them. I looked at some of the tours on the Princess web site and at the ones that are on Crucon. I am curious to see what Caroline comes up with. I guess we need to look at the times we are in port to see what works best. Not sure what to do in Victoria from 7 to 12 at night. I wonder if there will be any shopping open at night. I will have Joel ask his customer what tours he did. I know that I am too much of a fraidy cat to do helicopter or small plane tours. I hope Caroline is staying out of bad weather on her cruise. We have a friend who just came home from visiting his sister in Tampa yesterday. Haven't talked to him yet to see if things were OK there. Has your friend ever been to Hot August Nights in Reno. That is really a big show. We have gone several times but we don't take an old car. Joel loves to go to the auction and we like to just watch the cruise nights in Sparks. We saw several of the people in our car club and I told them about the cruise. A couple of them seemed interested so we'll see. Maybe they will join us.

Judy

[size=3][color=#4b0082]I agree, hope Caroline is faring well, on her cruise! :) [/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#4b0082]I'm not sure what Debbie and I will do in Victoria that evening, either. Originally we were going to do the Butchart Gardens, as I haven't seen them lit up at night. But, instead, we will try to go one afternoon, while we're there, post-cruise. We can go during daylight, have dinner there, then see it at night, all for one admission! I hope! So, anyway, we may just shop, or do a walking tour. There is the Empress and Parliament Buildings, to see. [/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#4b0082]Yes, my friend has been to Hot Aug. Nights several times, along with other friends of mine. I don't think she takes a car, as doesn't want to drive there. Unless she used to, with a friend. We haven't been, though, but would like to someday still![/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#4b0082]Those Metropolitans are cute little things! [/color][/size]

• 2 weeks later...
[color=navy]Hey, guys.. we have picked up some fellow travelers in my extended cruising absence.. it was kinda nice to hear "welcome to day 9 of your 7 day cruise" but not to hear it at the expense of the Florida folks..! [/color]

[color=navy]Check our our Group Page under the Group Cruises thread [color=red]***link under my signature***[/color] -- got some "business" in there :D and more coming in the next week.. want to get your ideas on some shore tours etc. too[/color]

[color=navy]Oh, and it's ROLL CALL TIME!! Coming soon to a message board near you:) and a new Conga line on our group page;) [/color]
[color=#000080][/color]
[color=#000080]Oh, NitaB.. do you have a Mt Saint Helens update for us?????[/color]

Here it is - I couldn't find this thread for anything! I was used to seeing it up as a sticky note!

A big hello to everyone who's booked so far...and to those of you who haven't, come on over to the group section and check it out. What a great way to see Alaska at reasonable prices and make lots of new friends in the process!

[size=3][color=indigo]Hi Caroline! Nothing going on with the mtn. today![/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#4b0082]Hi Cynde! I lost this thread, too! You have us in your signature now, too! :D [/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#4b0082]Guess I'll go play the conga game, as I do a lot anyway! :) [/color][/size]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=black]We asked for it and Crucon and Princess Cruises came through for us!!! If you’ve been on the fence at all about cruising Alaska next summer OR have just been to busy to plan yet, listen up![/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=black]We have managed to secure a much-requested reduced deposit for the Cruise Critic Group Cruise “Diamond Rush to Alaska” next June 4, 2005 on the beautiful Diamond Princess. You can now book the cabin of your choice for a[b] deposit of only $100 per person[/b]!!!! That’s a savings of $250 over the regular deposit for individual bookings. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=black]IS THERE A CATCH?? Yes, but only that the reduced deposit is only valid for bookings made between [b]Monday, October 18th[/b] until close of business on [b]Friday, October 22nd[/b]!! After that you can still book this group cruise, but the deposit will go back up to $350 per person. Who doesn’t want to save some money now with the holidays approaching???[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=black]For more information on pricing, booking and special perks for Group Members check out [/color][/size][/font][url="http://www.cruisecritic.com/interests/groups.cfm?ID=59."][font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=black]http://www.cruisecritic.com/interests/groups.cfm?ID=59. [/color][/size][/font][/url]

[font=Times New Roman][font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=black]Feel free to email me if you have any questions at [/color][/size][email="carocruiser@aol.com"][size=3][color=black]carocruiser@aol.com[/color][/size][/email][size=3][color=black].[/color][/size]
[font=Times New Roman][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=black]Give Kevin a call at 800-493-6609 and prove to Crucon that we really, really appreciate their negotiating this reduced deposit with Princess Cruises for our group!!![/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=black]Hope to see [b]you[/b] onboard! [/color][/size][/font]

[color=red][font=Times New Roman][size=3]P.S.: There’s also a reduced deposit of $100 per person next week for the Cruise Critic “Privateers” Group Cruise to the Eastern Caribbean aboard the Caribbean Princess on Sept. 17, 2005. For information on this cruise visit [/size][/font][url="http://www.cruisecritic.com/interests/groups.cfm?ID=56"][font=Times New Roman][size=3]http://www.cruisecritic.com/interests/groups.cfm?ID=56[/size][/font][/url][font=Times New Roman][size=3].[/size][/font][/color]

[/font][/font]

• 3 weeks later...
We have group space booked at a Comfort Suites for 94/99 per night pre-cruise.. this is really an excellent price for Seattle and the rates that we have for Alaska are lower than some I've seen in agency "specials" e-mails. Check out our board and the rates at the link below the signature if you are thinking of Alaska next June! It's a great time of year to sail the Inside Passage :)

Archived