Ride to Tabayana

I've read that the ride to Tabayana is really scary. Over some rough roads (I can handle that), but that the roads are very narrow with very steep drop offs. And..you get there in very old, broken down buses. All true? Sounds kind of scary.

Don't worry about the roads...

In the last 2 months, there have been some great improvements from Coxen Hole to West Bay (where Tabyana is)...

There are no potholes...there are ROAD SIGNS, a YELLOW LINE down the middle, and REFLECTORS for night time driving...

PLUS, they've added another covering of oil and pressed gravel.

I've been living here for 3 years...It brings a tear to my eye...LOL...

In regards to steep drop offs...there is one area between Flowers Bay and the West Bay turnoff, where there is a 100 foot drop as you climb the hill on the road...but don't concern yourself over it..

In regards to the bus quality. Based on the day, they could easily have 30 busses going out there...If you like the look of one, wait for the next one...

BUT please, remember you are on an island off the coast of a third world country (Honduras), and there is not much NEW transportation to choose.

MOst of the busses are Yellow school busses...NO TV, No padded seats...but then only a 20 minute ride from the dock to Tabyana...

Enjoy the rider, cuz it only gets better after you get to the beach.:)

Archived