jewelry shopping- Belize or Cozumel?

hues of blue

we will be on the valor in feb and our son wants to get his girlfriend a nice ring but also a good deal, which island would be the best? I know that Belize has a Diamonds International and that Cozumel seems to up their prices when ships are in port. Any suggestions????

This is a very tricky area....depending on how "nice" a ring you are thinking about.

I would not purchase a stone of any great value from DI. Some of their managers are honest, but some of them are scum. I am someone who has done a lot of business with them, but only in the areas that I was very knowledgable.

I would recommend that you do a lot of research before you leave. Go to the various local jewelery stores in your area and price the rings before you go.

Then you can tell if you are really getting a good deal. If it isn't a heck of a deal, it is better to buy at home where you know the local jeweler.

Let me add that watches are an entirely different matter. AMIN at Diamonds International Watch store is a great guy. I have done business with him...recently as a matter of fact. Amin handles the Breitling watches.

Archived