Fantasy Oct.14 th Sailing Review

summersfunnc

I will dole this out a bit at a time as I am a poor typist:

We stayed at the Radisson, $149.00 for the night which is more than I usually pay being a Motel 6 sort of traveler but with the shuttle service and the free parking it was a great deal. The hotel itself was a treat, luxurious to the max, swimming pool in a tropical courtyard, pool bar, sleep number bed and free buffet breakfast. Shuttles ran every half hour I think and were very organized.

We arrived to the ship via the shuttle about 11:15 and it took no more than 20 minutes to reach the Lido Deck. The waiters can be a bit pushy until they see you with a drink in hand so we just gave in and ordered knowing that it would be a couple of hours until we could get into our cabin. We had a wheeled cooler with our necessities packed in it, some sodas, change of clothes in case the luggage failed to turn up and toothbrushes (that sort of thing) so it was easy to move around. The buffet line was open so we soon found ourselves on the stern deck with a plateful of great food and our drinks. About 1:15 I went to check on our cabin and to my surprise two of our bags were there already (although one was at the door across the hall), peaked inside and was delighted to see that our inside cabin (M88) was only a bit less luxurious that our balcony cabin had been on our first cruise. On the way back to the deck I saw the last of our bags on the luggage cart so by the time I reunited with my hubby and took him to our cabin it was there also. We unpacked into small drawers and large closets, enthused over the size of the shower.

Call to muster stations took a bit long but we were to meet in the Universal lounge and it was cool and we had plenty to look at while we waited, on deck for the life boats was a bit too warm but we were only there for five minutes or so and then back to the stern deck, this is outside of the Lido deck and a smoking area which we enjoyed immensely being smokers. We stayed there through the sail away, then went to our cabin to enjoy a shower before dressing for dinner.

We dined all but one night in the Jubilee Dining Room, 8:00 pm sitting and found the food each night to be great. Dinner does take a rather long time usually about an hour and fifteen minutes to an hour and a half but every minute a delight. We sat at a six top booth and rotated seats every night so that we were able to converse easily with our dinner companions who seemed well matched to us by age as well as lifestyle.

I have heard it mentioned that the ship is in disrepair but I saw little evidence of this and expect that even this will be refurbished before it takes its first group out from New Orleans. Carpets in the buffet area appeared to be shampooed every night, I might be wrong but I go everywhere in bare feet and the carpets always felt damp as well as the fact that I never saw leftover spills. There was one spot that I saw in the hall on our floor that had a patch about the size as a quarter missing but other than that and a few spots where it was obvious that a fruit punch had been spilled due to the pinkish stain.

Our cabin was very nice, it was an inside and had a curtained area which uncovered gave you a veiw of nothing but a wall but left closed made you think that the drapes were simply drawn. I am claustrophobic and I did not have a problem with the space although I can't say that we spent a whole lot of time inside. The bathroom shower was larger than the one we had on the Valor and the water pressure was wonderful, toilet had the same suction sound of course (I could do without that but it is necessary).

Archived