Need TRINIDAD Info.??

poppy4kids

We did some research on this before we went there earlier this year. Consensus, with some exceptions, seemed to be that it is not a good idea to do this island on your own. We did a ship's excursion that toured the island and we had a great time.

It was the "Trinidad Highlights and Scenic Drive" tour. This was a decent tour that we enjoyed. The current description of the the tour includes more than what we did, so maybe it's an even better deal.

You can view a small number of pictures here: http://sunfield.smugmug.com/

Select "Cruise 2006"

Select "Trinidad"

Denny

I have been there 3 times.

First trip we got a cab and had a tour. We enjoyed it. There will be plenty of cabs and tour guides when you get off the ship.

Second trip, a lady on the ship offered me a free excursion ticket to the Caroni Bird Sanctuary and I accepted it. It was a very, very long ride way up into the mountains. If you are into bird watching it is suppose to be one of the best in the word. It wasn't my cup of tea, but hey, it was free.

Third trip. I took the ship's tour to the Monastary. The tour was ok but we were rushed. Mr. Gizmo did not go , but if we go back to Trinidad I will take a cab to take us to the monastary.

There is also the WWII base tour that is usually offered by the ship.

This is not a place to wonder around in yourself. There are some shops at the cruise terminal. Also there will be ladies with folding tables selling a lot of stuff.

If the ship is going to bring one of the Steel Drum bands on board for a show, if you like that type of music, don't miss it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jimmy, The best thing to do while in Trinidad will be to get a Tour operator or tour guide with taxi at the port and say you want to see the magnificent 7 and Maracas beach. The Magnificent 7 are some old colonial buildings on the savannah. (Large green area near to town) Maracas beach is a lovely drive over the northern range mountains to a lovely beach on the north coast. very lovely drive through lush rain forest breaking out to breath taking views of the ocean. When you get to Maracas beach tell your taxi driver you want to try a shark & bake (local delicacy) Any more info feel free to ask. Robert.

Jimmy, Check http://www.chagdev.com It is a gov. run state park in the western peninsula of Trinidad. It's about 30mins from the port. On their web site on the left side they have a section on tours offered. Gaspree caves should be fun. Its a 10 min boat ride to Gaspree island then 20 min walk to the caves. They also offer other tours. Chaguramas (The name of the peninsuls) is also where the U.S had a small world II base. You can still see some buildings and old aircraft hangers. There is also a milatary musem there. (Not much of a musem but if you are into war history in the caribbean you will find some interesting facts) Next option is you can contact Kalloo car rentals and tours at kallocar@tstt.net.tt

I spoke to them today and they said they offer a short city tour and then the north coast drive to Maracas beach which is what I explained in an eariler post. they will tailor make a tour for you. I dont recomend the two different bird santuary tours. Kind of far and boring if bird watching is not your thing. Any other info I can help you with feel free to ask.

Robert

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trinidad is one of those places where I still can't understand why the ships even stop there. Last week on the Sea we again made this port and did a quick run through the shops at the pier and the straw market just outside the doors as usual. Talked to several who did take a few tours and they wished they had just stayed on the ship.

The Sea Princess engine went down just as we were pulling away from Trinidad and we all couldn't help but laugh and wondered why, of any of the ports, we just didn't want to get stuck in Trinidad. Thankfully, after several hours stuck, they were able to repair the engines and we could leave this nasty port of call.

Please don't venture out on your own, take a ships tour or just count it as a short port stop and enjoy the ship. It is not the best port (by any means) on this itineary and you surely would not want to miss the ship here by taking a private tour and getting back to the ship late.

Archived