cruise to crotia and italy for DW in wheelchair

stuNYC

I booked a 12 day cruise on RCCLL that goes to many cities, where the ship's excursions indicate that you have to be able to walk long distances.

While my wife can walk short distances, we always take a wheelchair with us for the long distances. I know that it depends on the excursion operator whether you can take a wheelchair with you. What has been your experience

in Italy and Croatia. I am particularly worried about getting around in Venice.

Does anyone have any experience in the following ports

Rome

Portofino

Split

Messina

Dubrovnik

Venice

Naples/Capri

Thanks

Since we are going to be in Venice overnight, please clarify what you meant in your posting about no wheelchair in Venice. Did you mean on ship booked excursions. Where specifically is it not allowed.

Is this from personal experience? If so, how did the individual get around or did they have to stay on the ship.

I thought I read that you can even access the bridges with wheelchair if you have a key before hand.

IT CERTAINLY IS NOT FAIR!

How can italy discriminate against the disabled. Aren't there people who live there who need/use wheelchairs.

Your knowledge is invaluable.

Thanks in advance

Hmmm..I don't know what Janet means either Stu. Venice is not a tender port and it's not like the city says "no you can't get off". Perhaps she just means the shore excursions are not wc-accessible. For a European city (read old) Venice is pretty much in the middle of the access spectrum -- there are better and worse sites throughout Europe. And yes you are right about access to the bridges. AsS far as I know the only time RCI (or any other crusie line for that matter) prohibits wc-users from getting off is in tender ports, where it's pretty much a safety call and is usually dependent upon the weather.

Anyway, here is a site that has some accessible itins if you want to do it yourself:

http://www.comune.venezia.it/mappe/disabili/piantina_eng.asp

Candy

It specifically stated, No wheelchairs allowed in Venice.There is no pier you can dock at and 'walk/wheel' into town. You have to water taxi everywhere. W.C. would have a very hard time embarking and dis-embarking. The 'streets' are uneven making pushing a w.c. virtually impossible. On a Friday night I was helped on/off the ship for a Gondola ride (shore ex.) and had to walk about eight blocks with help from by cabinmates. It was most tiring. Next day I stayed on the ship.

Queenie

Thank you for the wonderful walking tour info. I never would have been able to obtain that info by myself.

Have you been to Venice and used the map provided?

Janet

Where did you see the sign "no wc allowed in Venice". I am very sorry that you had so much trouble getting around. Despite the inconveniences I hope that at least you have some pleasant memories of Venice.

Regards

Stu

Stu:

I haven't used that *exact* map, but from the looks of it, it looks pretty accurate. I've been to Venice several times and have talked to many readers (maybe 200 or so) who have also been there and enjoyed themselves. And my readers all have some sort of mobility disability (it's what I do). Yes there are patches of uneven pavement and cobblestones and steps in places, but it's not impossible. My colleague Durant Imoden has a great site -- Europe for Visitors -- and as I recall he has some photos of the bridge access points. It's at http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/accessible_venice.htm

It's pretty accurate and it should give you an idea of it it will work for you. But its' a great city, and I highly encourage you to give it a try.

Looking at your other ports, again I think Venice will be pretty mid-range access wise.

BTW, I just looked at your signature. Congrats on your upcoming 30th annivesary. Are you doing a cruise for that?

Candy

• 4 weeks later...

I just spent two nights in Venice prior to a cruise in October. I use a scooter and managed very nicely to get around on my own. I stayed at a hotel on the mainland and rode the bus 20 minutes into Venice and back. I went armed with the maps of four areas that are wheelchair accessible without stepped bridges, but ended up not following them because although the maps looked great, I could not find street names to correspond so just rode around getting lost and then finding my way back. Stepped bridges often made me turn back, but it was a fun experience. I was carried over one bridge by four volunteers when I ended up being separated from my vaporetto stop by the bridge at San Marco Square. I did not enter any of the cathedrals or mueums but there is good information on the internet to tell you what to expect in the way of steps, ramps, etc. in many of them. I rode the vaporettos at no charge and was able to get on easily, but usually had to be lifted off depending on the tide. I learned to only get on a vaporetto with male gate attendants as they would be able to lift me off more easily than the female attendants. There is supposed to be one fairly steep ramped bridge which I did not run across and I did not attempt to locate the 5-6 bridges with the wheelchair lifts. The internet said these were great when they were working. Had I more time available to explore I would have checked these out, but my goal was to see as much as possible in one and a half days of daylight hours. Do your homework on the internet and then go and enjoy yourself!

Dubrovnik is easy to ride around the streets and there is a lot to see. I was not able to "walk the wall" or go into the monastery or cathedrals. We tendered in and were right at the gate to the city. If you dock you will need a taxi or shuttle if the cruise line supplies one. Cars are not allowed inside the walls of the old city.

we have just returned from a cruise on rccl which included an overnight stop in Venice; we found that with a little ingenuity and research on the internet, we were able to get a wheelchair to most places. many of the bridges now have ramps as well as steps(most installed just this summer) but the Bridge of Sighs which is the last one on the canal before entering piazza san marco, was not yet ramped. not all the buildings are wheelchair accessible unless you can get out of the wheelchair and walk up a few steps.

the old walled city of Dubrovnik is accessible, but not the walls. as long as you stay on the main street which is level and a few parallel streets you will be ok, but many of the other streets consist of flights of stairs. the walls of the city are not accessible.

Rome with a wheelchair can be a nightmare; even when you find cored curbs they are usually blocked by a car or motorbike parked across. If you plan to do Rome, I suggest that some of the ship's shore excursions may be partially accessible although there are some stops where it may be necessary to stay on the bus. we did find that most of the Vatican is accessible with prior notification:)

• 2 weeks later...
It specifically stated, No wheelchairs allowed in Venice.There is no pier you can dock at and 'walk/wheel' into town. You have to water taxi everywhere. W.C. would have a very hard time embarking and dis-embarking. The 'streets' are uneven making pushing a w.c. virtually impossible. On a Friday night I was helped on/off the ship for a Gondola ride (shore ex.) and had to walk about eight blocks with help from by cabinmates. It was most tiring. Next day I stayed on the ship.

Bull Hockey! For one that is against the EU's disabled citizens rights. And yes, Italy is a member of the Europen Union. As long as there are no floods a person in a chair should be able to use a couple of the water buses (water taxis are very expensive) and their stops. If you can get off at the one for St Mark's Square (I think it's the Arsenali) then you can pretty much take care of a full day in that general area. I believe there is one small bridge between the Arsenali and Piazza San Marco. Yes, I've lived in Italy and been back since I acquired my "lead sled". You are probably not allowed on RCCL's shore excursions. Go it alone with a good guide book or printed off map and enjoy. Just pace yourself for what you can do. Oh, there is also a gondola area where you can book yourself a romantic ride right there at the Doge's Palace. They stop sailing about 9pm and they will cost you an arm and a leg. But remember, it is the memory of a lifetime.

Been to Portofino on foot and remember that it was small, fairly flat and the only climb was, well, due to my soon to be husband's interest in all things Roman. So yes, I'd skip the beautiful view up some 500 stairs. Actually Portofino is more famous for shots of its harbor than anything else. It's one of those places I'd pray for sun, find a cafe and sit outside with a book and a campari and soda. I love those kind of spots...especially when it was off season. :-)

• 5 weeks later...

Just had a friend return from there in Oct. While she was there, they were setting up for a event for people with disabilities and putting ramps over many of the bridges. Does not sound like a city that is not looking out for people with special needs. I can see that they may say not recommended for wheelchairs but not - no wheelchair allowed.

Archived