jewelry shopping-cozumel or belize

hues of blue

we will be on the valor in feb. son wants to buy his girlfriend a nice ring but at good price. does anyone know how cozumel compares to diamonds international in Belize?? i have heard that cozumels prices go up when ships are in port. any advice would be appreciated.:)

we will be on the valor in feb. son wants to buy his girlfriend a nice ring but at good price. does anyone know how cozumel compares to diamonds international in Belize?? i have heard that cozumels prices go up when ships are in port. any advice would be appreciated.:)

I haven't been to Belize in awhile, so I really don't remember about the jewelry there. However, Cozumel has lots of jewelry shops and I believe that Diamonds International has about 4 stores on the main street. I've been to Cozumel many times and I have learned a few things about buying anything, including jewelry. Bargain over the price is number one. Also, if you can do it, bring a lot of cash because they will give you a much better price if you buy in US $ rather than using a credit card. If you happen to have a jewelers loupe or small magnifying glass, pull it out of your pocket and examine the stones.......this really shakes them up. :p By the way, I have never heard a rumor that they raise prices in Cozumel when the ships are there. Good luck with your shopping. ;)

I haven't been to Belize in awhile, so I really don't remember about the jewelry there. However, Cozumel has lots of jewelry shops and I believe that Diamonds International has about 4 stores on the main street. I've been to Cozumel many times and I have learned a few things about buying anything, including jewelry. Bargain over the price is number one. Also, if you can do it, bring a lot of cash because they will give you a much better price if you buy in US $ rather than using a credit card. If you happen to have a jewelers loupe or small magnifying glass, pull it out of your pocket and examine the stones.......this really shakes them up. :p By the way, I have never heard a rumor that they raise prices in Cozumel when the ships are there. Good luck with your shopping. ;)

You don't even have to own a loupe...just tell them you want to use theirs and sadly what you will see on large stones will really make you step back and rethink.

If you have a specific ring in mind (say a sapphire and diamond) etc...know before you go. Know the carat weight of the stones you want and the price of various settings here in the US from your local jewelers. Write down specifics and prices and take them with you. And unless you really save a ton of money, deal with a local jeweler back home so that you will have someone there to handle any problems.

What's Diamonds International?

The largest or one of the Largest multi country jewelry shops in the region.

http://www.shopdi.com/?np=0&ROITrakid=1043

They are commonly found through out the cruise lines stops

Diamonds International was established nearly two decades ago. What began as one store in St. Thomas has now blossomed into more than 100 locations. Diamonds International is now one of the largest jewelry retailers in the world. We have more locations in the Caribbean than any other fine jeweler, but our network stretches from the company's New York City headquarters into Mexico and as far as Alaska.

John

I can't tell from your post if you are asking to compare DI in Cozumel to DI in Belize or any jewelry store in Cozumel to DI in Belize. If your son is determined to buy at DI, you will probably get better prices in Cozumel since there are a LOT more jewelry stores there. I suggest, though, that he not limit himself to DI. There are a number of ship-recommended stores that you should visit for greater selection and bartering power. And if you have a problem with a purchase from a ship-recommended store, they will help you resolve it. If you put it on a credit card instead of paying cash, you also have your credit card company to go to bat for you (that may be worth foregoing the discount for cash). If your son knows his stuff, he doesn't have to limit himself to ship-recommended stores, but I highly suggest using a credit card at those.

Also consider the ship's store. If I heard them correctly on the Miracle, they will give you a one year warranty on any jewelry bought on the ship...even if you change your mind. Verify that before you buy, but I believe that is what I heard. Remember that that ship store is independent of Carnival.

Archived