Road Beyond Hana Closed Indefinitely

bobnsandi

Well, FEMA started to inspect the bridges out toward Hana and beyond, and they found one in sufficiently bad condition to be declared unsafe. This is a bridge that is BEYOND Hana, on the way to Oheo Gulch (home of the "sacred" pools) and Lindbergh's grave. So, you should be able to get to Hana, but not beyond, if you take the "usual" road. I would expect that people could get to the other side by taking the long (and bumpy) way around.

Maui News article:

http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=24447

Thank you for the update. I will be driving the road to Hana next week, so the info is much appreciated and much needed. I wasn't planning on going past Hana anyway, but now that is an absolute instead of a plan.

CCers once again provide the right info for those that need it. :p

Deb

Any part of the road to Hana is worth the drive in our opinion. Last fall we decided to take along the Revealed Maui book and just explore. We never got as far as Hana but thoroughly enjoyed our day. The best part was taking the road off the main Hana hiway down to the Keane (not sure of the spelling) Peninsula, watching the waves crash against the black rocks at the end of that road and enjoying the freshly baked banana bread purchased on our way down that road! Enjoy!

Archived