Found ring in safe

birdsfly

While cleaning out the safe on Spirit, Cabin No. 5135, we found a ring at the end of our sailing 10/22. If this is your ring, please let me know and I will be happy to send it to you.

Not to be rude but why didn't you turn it into the pursers desk while still on board??? I imagine when the owner discovers that it is missing that is where they will try to contact..... They will have no idea that you have it unless by chance they are on CC.

I am new to these boards and, therefore, am extremely surprised to find that my integrity has been so attacked at what I thought was a good deed. I had multiple dealings with the purser's desk during our cruise. Each time, without fail, the answers were inadequate, rude and the crew showed extreme disorganization. Upon cleaning out the safe before we disembarked, we found the ring. It was an HONEST decision NOT to turn it in to the Purser's Desk where I knew it would NEVER make it to its owner and had hoped that someone somewhere might know who might have lost it. If the owner had contacted the cruise line, why didn't the crew check the safe earlier???? I would never INTENTIONALLY take something that was not mine. I thought I was being helpful.

I am new to these boards and, therefore, am extremely surprised to find that my integrity has been so attacked at what I thought was a good deed. I had multiple dealings with the purser's desk during our cruise. Each time, without fail, the answers were inadequate, rude and the crew showed extreme disorganization. Upon cleaning out the safe before we disembarked, we found the ring. It was an HONEST decision NOT to turn it in to the Purser's Desk where I knew it would NEVER make it to its owner and had hoped that someone somewhere might know who might have lost it. If the owner had contacted the cruise line, why didn't the crew check the safe earlier???? I would never INTENTIONALLY take something that was not mine. I thought I was being helpful.

Send it registered mail to Carnival......... they will probably already have an inquiry for it. That is what should be done.........not a posting on a website the owner of the ring will most probably not check.

I would not send the ring but a letter stating you found something in the safe, include room number and date of sailing. They can notify you if someone is looking for it or they could call shomever had the room prior and ask if they lost something. I have done this when I find something then I know the owner gets it not the purser or store clerk. I think people need to stop bashing the OP and understand she wants to get it back to the rightful owner.

I Agree, I wouldn't Trust The people at the Pursers desk if I found something either. We all have heard stories about people leaving things in safe and never getting them returned.

So GET OFF THE OP for trying to make sure it does get returned and I am sure they have already Called Carnival to let them know.

Dam some of you people need to look at the bigger picture before rushing on Judging this person's actions.

I Agree, I wouldn't Trust The people at the Pursers desk if I found something either. We all have heard stories about people leaving things in safe and never getting them returned.
.......thats probably because the next passenger.....who found the item........."didn't trust the Purser"...........and took it home with them also......:rolleyes:

I am new to these boards and, therefore, am extremely surprised to find that my integrity has been so attacked at what I thought was a good deed. I would never INTENTIONALLY take something that was not mine. I thought I was being helpful.

If it were my item and I had mistakenly left it I would immediately contact Carnival and ask the procedures for missing items and report the item. I would also hope that someone would have turned it in which is what I would expect of an honest person. It is only a very small percentage of people who read these boards so the likelihood of them finding you would be very slim.

No one on these boards knows you or your integrity. Honestly, when I read your post my first thoughts were that you took the ring (possibly valuable) and posted here to clear your conscience that you tried to find the owner and that the ring wasn't claimed. (Correct or not that was what I thought.) Most people would have turned it in to the purser's desk no matter what they thought of the employees there as it would seem to be the right thing to do and the most likely way for the item to be returned to the rightful owner. Some would have said finders keepers.:(

I agree that the ring should have been turned in to the purser. I have found items in the safe, as well as on deck - but they didn't belong to me, so I would never have considered taking them home with me. Although the owners may never have gotten the items back, I know I did the proper thing.

However, that's not what was done - so the next best thing is to contact Carnival Guest Services and inquire as to the best procedure at this point.

Not judging - just stating my opinion.:)

my mother in law to be lost a wedding ring in that very same room, but im not sure if that's her she lost a diamond ring, carnival has no record of anythign being found but if you have it please contact me.... hopefully we can reslove this..... if it's not her please contact Carnival.

I would never INTENTIONALLY take something that was not mine. I thought I was being helpful.

I don't think anyone is questioning your integrity, just your logic. 1-2% of cruisers are on these boards, without informing the pursers desk or Carnival, you are basically taking a almost a 100% chance of not finding the owner. Contact Carnival...

I'm not going to judge whether you made the right decision or not, because I don't know what I would do in that situation. But I would suggest contacting carnival, telling them you found a ring, give them your contact info, and giving permission for them to give out your contact info should someone call with a lost/found report or if they can contact the prior cruisers in that cabin.

It seems you had good intentions with trying to contact the person who lost the ring by posting on here, but like the prior person said, only 1%-2% of cruisers are members on the board.

Good luck in finding the original owner!:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdsfly

I would never INTENTIONALLY take something that was not mine. I thought I was being helpful.

I don't think anyone is questioning your integrity, just your logic. 1-2% of cruisers are on these boards, without informing the pursers desk or Carnival, you are basically taking a almost a 100% chance of not finding the owner. Contact Carnival...

Exactly.... I don't know you or your integrity.... And while you honestly may think you did the right thing, it should have been left with the pursers desk or certified mail to Carnival. The person who lost it most likely doesn't have anything to do with Cruise Critic and will never see your post. They or I would never think to look on the internet to see about something I lost.... I would be checking with Carnival....

A year ago a person did the same thing.... Never found (at last check) the owner..... It's just not right to take something that doesn't belong to you.... just my thoughts....

Personally, I would not trust the purser's desk either. Believe it or not some people do try to go out of there way to help someone else. In OP's case this was a judgement call and she thought she would be helping. Don't flame her for it.

I applaud you! And I hope the person reads these boards, and those nasty comments can be put where they belong!

I agree. It's sad to see all the mean spirited remarks that have directed to the OP. I don't think it was deserved.

Archived