Star Princess Fire Report Published

dli4323

What I learned from the report (yes -- go ahead light the flames!):

In a real muster, the best way to look for missing persons is to ASK the muster gathering if anyone from their cabin is "missing" at the station. Then make announcements in the other muster station for those persons. A couple of rounds of this will quickly identify those not at the muster station. For me the sad part (not that it may saved a life) was that misinformation was persistently given to the "widow" that her husband had been accounted for. /Sultan

While we are all debating whether there was an "accelerant" and why we are disappointed they only called it a "probable cause" I would note from the conclusions in Section 3.1 the report notes:

16. As the fire was difficult to access, had not been drilled, and was already established by the time the fire-fighting effort was started, the application and energy of the ship's crew to bring it under control in about 1 hour, merits commendation.

I am glad to see they recognized the crew's heroism.

We are just off the SUN PRINCESS [10/11-10/21] built in 1995. While sitting on our balcony I noted 2 sprinklers. Why would the STAR PRINCESS built in 2002 not be fitted with a balcony sprinkler system?

Based on the initial recommendations from the MAIB, Princess has refit the balconies of their ships with heat sensors and sprinkler systems. Regal Princess was built in 1991 and was fully refit with the sprinkler/heat sensor systems when I sailed on her in September of this year. There is no cost saving effort at the expense of safety.

How does one handle cigarettes safely?...Not inhale?...Why is it unfortunate that this incident is used to further an anti-cigarette agenda...Is there something wrong with being anti-cigarette?

There is nothing wrong with being anti-cigarette but please don't start an argument about it here so the thread gets shut down as it's important that people know the report is out.

I'm sure what bdjam meant what that cigarettes are carefully disposed of by smokers on a daily basis, therefore they are used in a safe manner.

If that's not what he meant, then he'll be back to set the record straight I'm sure!

There is nothing wrong with being anti-cigarette but please don't start an argument about it here so the thread gets shut down as it's important that people know the report is out.

I'm sure what bdjam meant what that cigarettes are carefully disposed of by smokers on a daily basis, therefore they are used in a safe manner.

If that's not what he meant, then he'll be back to set the record straight I'm sure!

That’s what I meant – thanks for backing me up. And I agree - if people want to crusade against cigarette smoking, this thread isn't the place to do it.

QUOTE]

According to the U.S. Fire Administration "Careless smoking is the second leading cause of fire deaths"...I don't think pointing this out is inappropiate...One can disagree without being accused of starting a argument.

I really like this report. It answers most, if not all my most pressing questions:

Smoldering cigarette butt most likely cause

No accelerant involved

Spray head malfunction in C510

Flammable balcony dividers

Smoke entered through shattered and open balcony doors

What impressed me the most was the timetable. Now that is one impressive timetable. Here are the times I would like to highlight:

0309 Fire Detected

0312 Captain on Bridge

0313 Crew Alert

0317 Ship Manuvers begin

0320 GES Broadcast

0325 Prepare Lifeboats

0436 Captain announces fire is out

Now folks, you can nitpick the details all you want, but that is one impressive response time. 3 minutes the capt's on the bridge. In 4 minutes the crew alert is given. In 8 minutes he starts manuvering the ship to reduce the wind speed over the deck. In 11 minutes the GES is broadcast and in 16 minutes they start preparing the lifeboats.

Wow.

Rather than looking to blame a group or individuals. Surely we should be rejoicing in the fact that this report highlighted serious design deficiencies.

The consequence of such, which could have been far more serious.

I for one will feel much safer knowing that they are being addressed.

Regards

Cruisebore

And here is one I would also like to highlight!

0250 Smell of burning detected amidships on the port side of deck 14. The relative wind was 27º on the port bow at 30 knots.

0309 Fire seen by passenger and manual call point activated on deck 11 zone 2, port side. Fire seen from port bridge wing immediately

/Sultan

Rather than looking to blame a group or individuals. Surely we should be rejoicing in the fact that this report highlighted serious design deficiencies.

The consequence of such, which could have been far more serious.

I for one will feel much safer knowing that they are being addressed.

Regards

Cruisebore

I appreciate your sentiments and agree 100%. Unfortunately, it sometimes takes tragic events to show us how fallible we are as humans, and how much we really don't know. It's a good wake-up call.

Odd that people want to endlessly debate where, when, and even if people should smoke but won't take a moment to think that leaving balcony doors open could have been as contributory to some of the problems as anything else. People love to point fingers, but never at themselves...:rolleyes:

Some things never change, and bickering about something that cannot be changed will continue to be a favority hobby. It keeps things interesting.

Cruisebore - I agree with you totally.

The partitions, deck tiles and plastic furniture were highly combustible.

Door were not fire rated.

No fire detection or fire systems were on balconies.

On the Crown they still had the deck tiles. But the furniture was metal, doors were rated and sprinklers were in place. Also noticed a change in ash trays. They are covered so the ashes can not blow away.

Because of the accident aboard the Star new laws will be amended by the end of 2006. Knowing this puts my mind at ease....

Changes for the better....for a safe and enjoyable cruise.

Which is more important than what started the fire.....Cig or not....

Star Princess Video day before the fire

Video of Actual Fire (Bad Language)

During the Fire in the lounge

Oh, video 2 has the best quote ever -

"God, I wish I would not have skipped the safety procedure."

Oh, video 2 has the best quote ever -

"God, I wish I would not have skipped the safety procedure."

Terri and I were on the Star. As we left our cabin, after the GES, an idiot looked out his door and asked, "Where do we go?". Is it stupidity or simply being caught by the odds? I just have no sympathy for someone that can't spare 30 minutes to attend the Muster Drill. Here is a photo for those that think the drill is not important.

fireport.jpg

Even if it was difinitive, smokers would still say that it is safe to walk around with a lighted torch in the mouth.

Tell us what you really think. I think we are all in support of making cruise ships as safe as possible, even people that smoke. Some of the smokers I know put me to shame when it comes to safety practices.

Is everyone forgetting here that is arguing about smoking on cruise ships that there were non-smoking ships that didn't go well with the public? Remember the Carnival Paradise? How about Rennisance? Renisance went under, Carnival Paradise turned into a smoking ship.

If all smokers would adhere to the smoking sections, and the non smokers to the non-smoking sections of a ship, then all this could be put to rest.

If this is the cause of the fire on the Star, I feel terrible for that person that remembers throwing a cigarette or cigar overboard or off their balcony, shame on them. They knew better, but like any rule, never gave it a second thought I guess.

Just keep in mind that the smoke free ships didn't go over well and the cruise lines are after the revenue and they won't change the rules to cut their own throats. They will just put in better fire protection.

put me to shame when it comes to safety practices"..........except this one time!:(

And if this truly was the cause and that person could be caught, he/she should be punished, just as someone who causes harm with alcohol should be punished. The responsible ones will continue to put safety first and take whatever precautionary measures necessary for the well being of others. When the majority no longer does so, then big brother will need to step in and decide what we can and cannot do. Hopefully the cruise ships will take our safety seriously and continue efforts to improve their product as to not put us at increased risk because of profit motivation over the safety of the passengers. We can all work together to make for a safe cruise.

Is everyone forgetting here that is arguing about smoking on cruise ships that there were non-smoking ships that didn't go well with the public? Remember the Carnival Paradise? How about Rennisance? Renisance went under, Carnival Paradise turned into a smoking ship. .

Carnival - Easy answer why it didn't go. Old tired ship with uninteresting itinerary. Renaissance- overextended buying 8 ships in a short period of time. Tried to go too upscale. ;)

If all smokers would adhere to the smoking sections, and the non smokers to the non-smoking sections of a ship, then all this could be put to rest. .

Boy that is the truth to some extent. There would still be the anti-smoker out there "preaching". :(

If this is the cause of the fire on the Star, I feel terrible for that person that remembers throwing a cigarette or cigar overboard or off their balcony, shame on them. They knew better, but like any rule, never gave it a second thought I guess..

I would believe and hope the person who knows they are most likely the culprit has second, third and fourth thoughts about it. Imagine if you knew you were on Deck 12, got up at 2:30 am, copped a smoke on your balcony, pitched it over the side, and then went back to bed.....:eek:

Just keep in mind that the smoke free ships didn't go over well and the cruise lines are after the revenue and they won't change the rules to cut their own throats. They will just put in better fire protection.

True.. bottom line....they are in business to make money.

Why is it then I see so many cigarette butts ( unstepped on ) on sidewalks and roads or being tossed still lit from vehicles???

All it takes is only one inconsiderate idiot and this happens.

Why is it then I see so many cigarette butts ( unstepped on ) on sidewalks and roads or being tossed still lit from vehicles???

All it takes is only one inconsiderate idiot and this happens.

Okay, what I meant was many smokers. Many smokers do dispose of their cigarettes when they're finished in a safe manner, I'm sure the majority do. It's just like everything else, there are always a few bad apples in every bunch.

There are also a few people who think the rules don't apply to them on cruise ships and bring irons, travel candles and other things that do have the potential to cause a fire. I only hope that everyone who cruises walks away from this fire having learned some kind of lesson.

Trust me, I'm less than thrilled to hear that some complete idiot caused the fire and all the crap that I went through. I wish they could prosecute the person who did it, I really do. I hope anyone that was on that cruise who threw a cigarette overboard is having a hard time sleeping, even if their cigarette wasn't the one who caused the fire.

Personally, I also hold Princess slightly responsible after reading the report. The fire team didn't have the keys, they never trained to put out a fire on the balconies, and more importantly they had highly combustible materials out on the balconies not to mention the fact that there was a slight problem with the sliding glass doors.

I'm thrilled that they learned a lesson from the incident and have done everything in their power to rectify the situation. Because of this I do feel safe boarding the Crown on the 4th. I'm not sure how I'm going to feel once I'm actually on board, especially in the middle of the night but I do like the changes that they've made.

Need to put my 2 cents in here. The Star Princess fire was a nightmare...one person died and many, many others frightened out of their minds. I think we all assumed that somehow smoking had something to do with this fire - it's really the only thing that made sense. Now, all you smokers calm down for I am a smoker and I smoke in my cabin. With that said, I go crazy when on a ship I see folks throw their butts down on the deck and grind them out with their heels, or when they throw butts over the side of the ship. Believe me, I say something to them. The sad reality is that some people just think the rules don't apply to them or have a "it won't happen to me" mentality. I live in New York and work in Connecticut; both states have hands-free cell phone laws. Do you think these laws make much of a difference to alot of people. Every day I see drivers with a cell phone in hand, trying to dial a number, looking away from the road, and swerving towards another car. Fortunately, so far, I've not witnessed any accidents.

I am sorry to the people who were on Star Princess during the fire. I am sorry for everyone who was affected that one person's carelessness caused a death and so much harm to others as well as the damage done to the ship. We can legislate all we want but we unfortunately we can't change human nature.

I'd like to propose that we let this issue go. And, I ask all smokers out there who cruise to please, please be very careful with your smoking materials:) .

Archived