Diabetics

NJGRANNY

I decided to ask for a refrigerator prior to the cruise (I usually just ask once we get on the ship.) I got an email back saying that they will have one put in our cabin. It also stated that my husband will need a "hand-carried" note from his doctor stating that he's carrying syringes and needles to be used for his diabetic medicines.

I keep thinking, what if I hadn't asked about the refrigerator? Would we arrive in Honolulu and be turned away from the ship? Scary.

I'm just off of the Sun yesterday. I hand carried my medicines and syringes in my carry-on luggage along with a statement from my physician concerning my insulin and other meds. No one ever checked any of my meds or my physician's statement. I requested a sharps container from my steward on board and it was supplied with no problem. We already had a refrigerator. This was also the case when we cruised last year on Carnival. No problems at all. One note, I've been on a couple of different insulins and in both cases the vial is good for twenty eight days after opening, refrigerated or not. So if you didn't have a refrigerator, the insulin was still good for the same length of time. I'm not sure if that is the case with all insulins but mine were Lantus and Levimir.

I decided to ask for a refrigerator prior to the cruise (I usually just ask once we get on the ship.) I got an email back saying that they will have one put in our cabin. It also stated that my husband will need a "hand-carried" note from his doctor stating that he's carrying syringes and needles to be used for his diabetic medicines.

I keep thinking, what if I hadn't asked about the refrigerator? Would we arrive in Honolulu and be turned away from the ship? Scary.

Not to worry. My wife has been using insulin for 20 plus years. We always store our supply at home in the refrigerator but the bottles that we are using day-to-day we keep out. We have been on numerous cruises, both with and without refrigerators. No problem. As "strtdoc" said no one ever checked for or questioned medications, insulin, or syringes in any way. We too, have requested "sharps" disposal containers. Always supplied without any question.

Just relax and have a good cruise. But don't forget those all-important supplies!

Just got back from the Dawn on Sunday. My husband is insulin dependent. There was a refrigerator in the room and our room steward supplied us with a sharps container with no problem at all. We did not need any kind of note from his physician. Everything worked out well, no need to worry! Have a wonderful cruise.

Archived